Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Depression Glass Collectors

Notices

Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Depression glass

I'm not really a collector, but I have a few pieces if it is what I think it is. Will you post some photos as examples? Maybe I can take some pics of what little I have and you can tell me if it is depression glass or not.

I have quite a few pieces of the old Fiesta Ware. By all glass, do you mean just depression or all kinds of dishes?

cadenza
Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
windshop

Rep Power: 0 windshop will become famous soon enough windshop will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to windshop
Depression glass

The name is somewhat of a misnomer.

Glass that is commonly referred to as Depression Glass is relatively heavy glass made in high production factories by pressing molten glass into molds with patterns of flowers and other designs. Up until this time, patterns had to be hand cut into glass. Depression Glass was made from the 20's thru most of the 60's with some patterns being reproduced as recently as the 90's.

Other collected glass is often lumped into the Depression Glass category by the public. Collectors draw distinct lines between Depression Glass, Elegant Glass, and Barware and Kitchenware Glass (like Fiesta).
windshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Identifying depression glass

Thanks for the definition. I knew that Fiesta isn't depression glass. I just wondered if an "all glass" exhibition meant anything glass (like cut glass, kitchenware, etc.) or just all depression glass.

What I have that my grandmother called depression glass, is a green glass. I have three small plates, two what I'd call ice cream dishes and a juice thing (where you press citrus to get the juice out). I think I remember her saying at least some of it was given as premiums at gas stations in the 40's. Can you imagine? I barely remember that there used to be someone who actually pumped your gas, LOL! I think she had some of this in pink also...maybe one of my sisters has that.

I also have a very lovely cake stand that has the look of being made from a mold. It has gold leaf edges and I think it probably came from Germany.

All of it needs washing even though it is stored in a closed cabinet.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
windshop

Rep Power: 0 windshop will become famous soon enough windshop will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to windshop
How it was distributed

Our parents and grandparents tell us that they got glass from the depression era when they went to the movies, at the grocery store, in boxes of detergent (remember Duz?) or bought gas. It was given away as an incentive to continue to patronize businesses or services much like the trading stamps of the 50's and 60's. Most of the items distributed this way were the everyday plates, cups, saucers, etc that were constantly getting chipped or broken due to wear.

Although glass from this era can make a beautiful addition to a meal, we should remember a few things on how to handle and care for it.

Always hand wash with mild detergent.
Never microwave
If stacking, layer plates with paper plates between
Layer bowls with large coffee filters between
Never nest glasses