Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Traditional Acoustic Music

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Buck The Big Man

Rep Power: 0 Buck The Big Man will become famous soon enough Buck The Big Man will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Buck The Big Man
Talking Welcome one and all!

Ok, the primary purpose of this forum is to get local pickers together, to pool and share information on events, jam sessions, gigs, and just to help foster a sense of community that seems to be rather missing amongst those in this area who play traditional music in any of it's various styles.
I do predominantly Cowboy/Western Music professionally, but also love to get together with others and play Bluegrass, Traditional (old time) Country, Civil War/Irish and Gospel. I don't know much in the way of Cajun music, but I sure enjoy listening. Ditto Dixieland. What do you play? When and where? Are there open jams anywhere you know of for these, or other styles? Would anybody else be interrested in getting together and starting an acoustic Jam? How long have you been playing, and what was it about the style(s) of music that spoke to you?
I look forward to getting to know many of you here better. This is your community, let's all help it grow.

"Keep a smile on your face,
and a song in your heart!"

Buck "The Big Man"

http://Buckthebigman.com

Last edited by Buck The Big Man; 11-15-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Buck The Big Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Greetings

Hello there BUCK. Sounds like an interesting group you started here.
I'm not sure where in town you can find an open jam for such music around town ? Be interested to know if there was, wouldn't mind watchin' some live bluegrass though.

So what kind of music exactly is Traditional (old time) Country? We talkin' like 1950' and 60's 'country' music or something older than that ?

you wouldn't happen to have any recordings of "Civil War/Irish" type music you could share ? interested to hear what that might be like.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Buck The Big Man

Rep Power: 0 Buck The Big Man will become famous soon enough Buck The Big Man will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Buck The Big Man
some info on local jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansast
Hello there BUCK. Sounds like an interesting group you started here.
I'm not sure where in town you can find an open jam for such music around town ? Be interested to know if there was, wouldn't mind watchin' some live bluegrass though.

So what kind of music exactly is Traditional (old time) Country? We talkin' like 1950' and 60's 'country' music or something older than that ?

you wouldn't happen to have any recordings of "Civil War/Irish" type music you could share ? interested to hear what that might be like.
Howdy Kansas,
Well for starters there's the Thurs night jam at the hayride diner on Texas St, Downtown Shreveport. It's not strictly acoustic, but acoustic instruments are always welcome. (it's also for poets, storytellers, comics, etc.)
1'st and 3'rd Thurs are all acoustic jam at the Noble Savage, any style, but acoustic only. (I have not been to this one, as I have a violent allergy to cigarette smoke)
If you love Bluegrass Gospel, the 3'rd Thurs open jam at Countryside Christian Church in Buncombe (right next to Shreveport) is always fun. I've been to that one several times, albeit not recently, and found a great number of fabulous players. The music is not all Gospel, despite being held in a Church, but is 100% family friendly.
As far as Irish goes, the last Thurs of the month at the Noble Savage is an open Celtic/Irish jam. I also highly recommend the Hieland Festival held in April in Minden.
There are of course the many festivals where one can find our kind of music, Pioneer Days in Shreveport, The Meat Pie Festival in Natchitoches, etc. I'm trying to get a regular group together that loves this type of music, regardless of the style.
I'll be glad to rummage around and grab some Tradtional Irish, and Civil War era tunes to post.
Oh, and as far as old time Country goes, think the kind of music you heard in Oh brother,where art thou, that was not specifically Bluegrass. It's the old time, what used to be called Hillbilly Music, that modern Country and Bluegrass came from. It existed in it's own form up until shortly before WWII, after that time it had changed shape enough to begin to become Traditonal Country, I.E. Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzel, Ernest Tubb, etc. For a great retrospective of Traditional Country, find the archives from the Hayride, they have recordings of most of the greats from that era.

Welcome to the group!

"Keep a smile on your face,
and a song in your heart!"

Buck "The Big Man"

http://Buckthebigman.com

Last edited by Buck The Big Man; 11-24-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Buck The Big Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Bears on Fairfield north of Jordan, has an open session every Thursday night. I'm not usre what time it starts, but my buddies and I go weekly around 830 and we hear them playing for hours. They play a little bit of upbeat Irish, some oldies, blues, cajun, whatever. Last week I heard a concertina, fiddle, tin whistle (I think) and several guitars and percussion.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote