Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Red River Roasters

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Eight O'clock Coffee

Well, I haven't progressed to roasting my own beans, but I have graduated to grinding my own.

Anyone else familiar with Eight O'clock coffee? I prefer the 100% Columbian (brown bag) although I admit I haven't tried them all.

My latest kick is to add some Iced Java instead of sugar. It's a product made by Nestle which is basically a chocolate milk mix with caffine....man I'm telling ya, sometimes I have the shakes when I leave home in the morning
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Well, I haven't progressed to roasting my own beans, but I have graduated to grinding my own.

Anyone else familiar with Eight O'clock coffee? I prefer the 100% Columbian (brown bag) although I admit I haven't tried them all.

My latest kick is to add some Iced Java instead of sugar. It's a product made by Nestle which is basically a chocolate milk mix with caffine....man I'm telling ya, sometimes I have the shakes when I leave home in the morning
hey BrainSmashr!

You are on the right track if you ask me! It is perfectly natural to grind your own beans before feeling the urge to roast your own beans. FWIW I consider my grinder to be the most important tool in my entire home!

I don't often admit to adding "adulterants" to coffee, but between you and me, I have been known to put a squirt of Nestles chocolate syrup in my coffee or espresso as a sweetener from time to time. There is definitely something about chocolate and coffee that go together.

I can't imagine adding caffeine to coffee if for no other reason that I love to drink coffee and I find that caffeine is the limiting factor. The less caffeine, the more coffee I can drink. But I won't resort to the decafs.. Also it is worth noting that "arabica" coffee has about half the caffeine as "robusta" which doen't taste as good. I always shoot for 100% arabica beans and drink twice as much.

Take care and now that someone is reading it, I guess I need to catch up on my blogging. Roasting (and grinding) coffee is definitely a worthwhile activity that is worth the extra time spent (if you love coffee).

BTW, never had 8'oclock.. In fact, I haven't had a "name brand" of any kind in quite some time, at least that I know of. However, between you and me... the new McDonalds coffee really isn't toooo bad. Better than a headache in a pinch. hehehe
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Haven't tried the new coffee at Micky D's but I've heard it was pretty good.

Considering "the office" is only about 5 blocks from my house, it's really not convenient for me to go there before hand...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
BrainSmashR
Banned

Drinking some plain old Community Dark Roast this morning.

Not terrible, but immeasurably better than the Folgers crap they buy at work.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
folgers ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I don't have community coffee here so i have to settle for starbucks no one knock me for drinking it its the only option i have. I refuse to drink anything else here.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
BrainSmashR
Banned

Are you kidding? I love Starbucks.......of course that might be because I only get to have it when I'm out of town
Old 02-17-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Just give me a damn cup of coffee, I don't care where it comes from.
I spent too many years in a print shop, where the press operators would make this coffee like freakin' mud.. dulled my senses. As long as it's hot, I'm good.

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
Just give me a damn cup of coffee, I don't care where it comes from. I spent too many years in a print shop, where the press operators would make this coffee like freakin' mud.. dulled my senses.
And might have burned or damaged your taste buds as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
As long as it's hot, I'm good.
That's like saying.. "Just give me a damn hamburger, I don't care where it comes from....As long as it's meat, I'm good."

I don't think that I am all that picky, but maybe a bit discriminating... I think the best analogy is "homebrew" beer compared to Bud Lite. Roasting and grinding your own coffee beans is akin to hombrew beer whereas Folgers is more akin to Bud Lite if you catch my drift.... One is "lively" while the other is dead as a door nail from a taste perspective by comparison.

Well GLTY Latenight my friend, and to your "cooked coffee". I guess all those millions of pounds of Vietnamese Robusta must go someplace!

BTW, Charbucks (also known as *$) is not bad in a pinch. They are the bottom of the top end coffees if that makes sense. I still prefer the locally owned independents such as Courtyard Coffee. Besides I never quite caught on to the *$ lingo like: "double pump vent frap no whip", whatever the heck that means.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote