Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #16
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
A federal investigator says the air traffic controller had worked for almost 15 hours and slept for two.
FOX_News
The controller should know that the peoples lives are in his hands and
if he had worked to long he should have made a report on this so it
would have been on record and he would not be taking so much heat.
Either way it is very sad for all parties.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #17
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
It does?

Where did one happen today? Yesterday?
so it took a few days..

Here's one.

Little chance of survivors in Brazil crash

Quote:
Chances of finding any survivors from the plane that crashed into the Amazon jungle are "practically non-existent," Brazil's airport authority chief said Saturday. The Gol Airlines jet with 155 people on board may have clipped a corporate jet in midair before plunging into dense rainforest.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 AM   #18
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Daily

That's hardly "daily."
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 295 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
joepole, you are correct. Commercial aviation is *by far* the safest form of travel by any measure. Speaking for myself, I do not know anyone who was killed in a plane accident. But my brother and my accountant were both killed in car accidents in the 80's.

Driving is dangerous, yet is doesn't make me nervous at all to drive a car, as long as I am driving. But I hate to ride as a passenger in a car. As for flying, I simply hate it (post 9/11) even though I know it is safer. I have never piloted an airplane but I figure as long as I am "driving" I feel safe.. LOL, I think a lot of people may feel that way.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 AM   #20
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 225 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Yea, that's my deal as well. I'd feel safer if I was flying the plane, and I certainly feel safer when I'm driving.

"Don't like ridin', on the passenger side"

Wilco wrote a little song about, goes somethin' like this...

Passenger Side
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #21
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Safest

>joepole, you are correct. Commercial aviation is *by far* the safest form of travel by any measure.

I wonder if subways or busses are safer.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #22
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I know it's not practical for everyone. time being an issue like it is. But I've taken a few train trips across country before, and I had a blast.

Rode the Crescent City ? line from New Orleans to New York a few years back. Now I've flown from LA to NY countless times, but sitting in a Lounge car and watching the countryside roll by is something else! Also took the American Eagle express from Chicago to Denver, and that was a great trip as well. Eating dinner in the dining car and a few drinks in the lounge car... it's a GREAT way to travel is it safer than flying, heck if I know. And I know it takes longer, but it was nice to sit back and take it easy, not being in any hurry for a change.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #23
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Train travel

Train travel is nice but it's SLOW and not much cheaper (if any) than flying. If I can spend the same cash for a 4 hour trip or a 20 hour trip, why would I ever choose the latter?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #24
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Train travel is nice but it's SLOW and not much cheaper (if any) than flying. If I can spend the same cash for a 4 hour trip or a 20 hour trip, why would I ever choose the latter?
Well like I said, it's not for everyone. Personally I enjoyed the slow pace, meeting folks in the lounge car and dining car.. and getting a close up view of parts of the country I've never seen before except to FLY over in a plane.

LateNight