View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 295 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I have so many mixed feelings when it comes to the Katrina "blame game". For example, I saw one family on TV who was utterly wiped out and very distraught. I really feel sorry for them. On the other hand, surely residents should have understood that they were living below sea level, and perhaps they needed better insurance. Yet on the other hand, I hear that insurance costs are very high and might not be affordable. But on the otherhand, this isn't Holland and there is plenty of land in our state that is above sea level.... And my mind goes on and on in such a way... I have decided that I am not one to judge too harshly since I have few answers to such disasters.

This family feels that the corps of engineers and government is responsible and therefore the government should buy them a new house. I can certainly feel their anger and blame, but is there any personal responsibility when building on the edge of a mountain, or on the beach, or below sea level? At what point is this a "man made" disaster and at what point is this an "act of god". It seems to be an unfortunate combination of both and the reprocussions will last for over a decade in my opinion. God Bless those with the guts to return to rebuild. Those are the true "New Orleans Saints" in my opinion.

Last edited by rhertz; 08-31-2006 at 04:26 PM.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote