Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Government & Politics (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Do we dislike Old people this much? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306)

Texasbelle 05-01-2007 10:12 AM

Do we dislike Old people this much?

Got this in an email today and it's really sad:

What a country........................................

5 million of our older Americans have not signed up yet for their Medicare, Part D, drug plan------they are old and confused.
We are not going to grant them an extension.

However, 12 million illegal aliens are in our country and we are going to allow them to stay, protest, procreate, receive support monies, attend schools, avoid paying income taxes, have our teachers take
300 hours of ESL (English as a Second Language) training at our expense, etc.

WE MUST REALLY DISLIKE OUR OLD PEOPLE.

AnimeSpirit 05-01-2007 01:08 PM

Yeah, no kidding! I have nothing personal against people who flock over here illegally, but they should be entitled to NOTHING that is paid for by our tax money until they become citiens. At which point, they will also be paying into that system. It's bad enough the already strained employment rate is further strained by people working here who shouldn't be.

piemaker720 05-01-2007 01:33 PM

I, too, do not think that the illegals should recieve anything. They should not have a free ride. I also think that the companies that close up here and move over to other countries to get cheap labor should be boycotted.
I think our elders deserve a lot more than they get.

Texasbelle 05-01-2007 01:47 PM

I agree with companies that outsource. Do not use them if you know what they are doing. Many of them go to great lengths to hide it though. Here is a good one: Many of the Indian doctors who practice in our country and make a living off of Americans now outsource their dictation to India, meaning they will dictate into a machine which transmits it overseas where a transciptionist in India will type it and send it back here. It is done much cheaper, but puts another American out of a job. They are also doing the same with radiologists reading x-rays. I have a big issue with a lot of things being sent to India where most people are still practicing Hindus and lots of "untouchables" are left beaten in the streets and unfed. Shame on anyone who supports this type of system.

joepole 05-01-2007 01:57 PM

Outsourcing is great, it makes stuff cheaper. There is no reason that my shoes need to be put together by an American when someone in China will do it for 1/20th the cost.

Also, most illegal immigrants pay more income taxes than legal workers with similar incomes. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate illegals, we don't need to continue to perpetuate the myth that they're a tax drain.

Texasbelle 05-01-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Outsourcing is great, it makes stuff cheaper. There is no reason that my shoes need to be put together by an American when someone in China will do it for 1/20th the cost.

Also, most illegal immigrants pay more income taxes than legal workers with similar incomes. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate illegals, we don't need to continue to perpetuate the myth that they're a tax drain.

You have got to be kidding me or just plain smoking crack? Which is it?

joepole 05-01-2007 02:17 PM

Illegal aliens are pretty much the only poor people in this country that pay income taxes.

Most employed illegal aliens have taxes withheld from their paychecks (Feds estimate less than 25% are paid cash) and almost all are in the tax brackets that, were they legit, would qualify for EIC. Illegal aliens cannot receive EIC because it means their bogus SSN is exposed (the treasury doesn't care if it's a legit number when you pay, they check into it when they have to cut you a check, though).

I'll take a city with tons of illegal aliens over a city with most of Shreveport's residents. Ever see a welfare mom hanging out at Home Depot at 5AM looking for work? I have to pay $40 every damn week in the summer to keep my grass mowed, I could easily cut that number in half if my yardman was from Nicaragua instead of E. 68th Street.

rhertz 05-01-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Illegal aliens are pretty much the only poor people in this country that pay income taxes.

Most employed illegal aliens have taxes withheld from their paychecks (Feds estimate less than 25% are paid cash) and almost all are in the tax brackets that, were they legit, would qualify for EIC. Illegal aliens cannot receive EIC because it means their bogus SSN is exposed (the treasury doesn't care if it's a legit number when you pay, they check into it when they have to cut you a check, though).

I'll take a city with tons of illegal aliens over a city with most of Shreveport's residents. Ever see a welfare mom hanging out at Home Depot at 5AM looking for work? I have to pay $40 every damn week in the summer to keep my grass mowed, I could easily cut that number in half if my yardman was from Nicaragua instead of E. 68th Street.

You make some good points joepole. I think Ms Belle and I are concerned for example, when a expecting mother in Mexico knowingly travels to the US to defraud our system for free healthcare and delivery of her newborn baby. A C-section can cost over $15k and someone has to foot the bill. Not only that, the newborn is automatically a US citizen and *entitled* to free food, healthcare, and education until he/she is 18 years old. There are proper ways to enter our country and become a US citizen for good reasons, and this isn't one of them. I'm pro-imigration, but I'm also "anti-breaking the law" which is always hard to justify in an orderly society. People flee Mexico in order to live here in a relatively orderly and legal society by comparison.

AnimeSpirit 05-01-2007 03:34 PM

I once read a news story a while back about what happened to a woman. If I find that story, I'll link it here. She was a U.S. citizen and had been all her life. She quit work to raise her kids and lived a perfectly normal life. The problems all started for her when her kids grew up and it came time for her to go back to work.

She applied for work and got the job. Shortly after, the IRS sent her a letter saying they have been searching for her and demanding that she pay several thousand dollars in taxes or she was going to prison. Naturally, she was outraged and called the IRS promptly to ascertain what the problem was. They had records showing she had been working various jobs all over the country for years and never had taxes withheld from any of them.

After some investigation, it was discovered that her social security card and identity had SOMEHOW been sold on the black market numerous times over the years. It was a large group of illegal aliens who had bought her information and were over here working under her name and leaving her with the tax bill. Fortunately, this was all revealed to the IRS who gave her a break, but she could've gone to jail for tax evasion!!! If this had happened to me, my opinions of immigration laws would've gotten much more merciless.

Texasbelle 05-01-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
You make some good points joepole. I think Ms Belle and I are concerned for example, when a expecting mother in Mexico knowingly travels to the US to defraud our system for free healthcare and delivery of her newborn baby. A C-section can cost over $15k and someone has to foot the bill. Not only that, the newborn is automatically a US citizen and *entitled* to free food, healthcare, and education until he/she is 18 years old. There are proper ways to enter our country and become a US citizen for good reasons, and this isn't one of them. I'm pro-imigration, but I'm also "anti-breaking the law" which is always hard to justify in an orderly society. People flee Mexico in order to live here in a relatively orderly and legal society by comparison.

My point EXACTLY. Many of these people are not paying taxes either. I don't think the statistics are even close to correct. They do flood the emergency rooms constantly getting FREE medical care while legal Americans have to wait because they are there in the ER clogging the system up. They have found so many ways to abuse the system. They know if they have a baby on American soil then the baby is automatically American and thus the mother gets to stay here as well. It's a vicious circle that needs to be stopped.

Santabot 05-01-2007 04:23 PM

If you want to look at it this way:

Where are the Native Americans to be found? Locked up on reservations playing slots and drinking booze and eating cinnamon rolls.

Who were the illegal aliens? I think you can relate.

People just want to go somewhere they can do something for themselves. Mexico offers no opportunities to succeed the way America does. No illegals come here and sit around and leech off of us, they come here to work and provide support for their families back in Mexico until they can get citizenship, they don't ask for help from the government and do their best to stay away from others as to not bother anyone. Who's going to build the 700 mile fence at the border? I can tell you a group of fat Americans won't be doing it.

Al Swearengen 05-01-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santabot
Who's going to build the 700 mile fence at the border? I can tell you a group of fat Americans won't be doing it.

Evidently you've never heard of the "MinuteMen"...they're the fat American volunteers who guard our borders with Mexico. Alot of them are fat...all of them are American, and unpaid. I'd wager another group of fat Americans would gladly step up to the plate to build that wall. If I lived close, I'd donate most of my free fat American time to buildin it, bein the fat American that I am.

Most of the aliens are hard workers and decent people, and nobody's disputin that. But they're here illegally and they're a drain on our system, and there aint no disputin that either. As for the native Americans, yeah, they got the shaft in the beginning. But they're no worse off than any other American nowdays. In fact, bein an indian opens up all sorts of benefits and entitlements NOT available to anyone else, and rightly so.

Santabot 05-01-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Evidently you've never heard of the "MinuteMen"...they're the fat American volunteers who guard our borders with Mexico. Alot of them are fat...all of them are American, and unpaid. I'd wager another group of fat Americans would gladly step up to the plate to build that wall. If I lived close, I'd donate most of my free fat American time to buildin it, bein the fat American that I am.

Most of the aliens are hard workers and decent people, and nobody's disputin that. But they're here illegally and they're a drain on our system, and there aint no disputin that either. As for the native Americans, yeah, they got the shaft in the beginning. But they're no worse off than any other American nowdays. In fact, bein an indian opens up all sorts of benefits and entitlements NOT available to anyone else, and rightly so.

There's only a handful of these "minutemen", you should watch Penn & Teller's Bull****! series on Showtime (most episodes found on Google Video) about immigration.

It took 200+ years for natives to get their rightful spot here, but still, with all the trauma we caused them, their grandchildren better be getting some monetary benefits, even if it's the minimal we reserve for them.

Al Swearengen 05-01-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santabot
There's only a handful of these "minutemen", you should watch Penn & Teller's Bull****! series on Showtime (most episodes found on Google Video) about immigration.

It took 200+ years for natives to get their rightful spot here, but still, with all the trauma we caused them, their grandchildren better be getting some monetary benefits, even if it's the minimal we reserve for them.

Yes...I'm sure "Penn & Teller" could enlighten me about a great many things. Nevertheless, your obvious contempt for "fat Americans", coupled with your zeal for porous national borders disturbs me.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-01-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Yes...I'm sure "Penn & Teller" could enlighten me about a great many things. Nevertheless, your obvious contempt for "fat Americans", coupled with your zeal for porous national borders disturbs me.

Al he prefers pure communism over free enterprise ? Could we call this Anti American ? Well I like your post as always and people that do not like fat American need to haul their ass on out :clap: