Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Local News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do You Like Sushi? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496)

sbl_admin 12-04-2006 09:02 AM

Do You Like Sushi?

Louisiana Boardwalk managers hope a new restaurant will open by the end of December in a space formerly occupied by another Asian-themed eatery.

The sushi restaurant, Sushiko will take over the 2,994-square-foot space formerly occupied by Gimme Sum Fresh Asian Grill, said Doug Badia, an employee of O&S Holdings, Louisiana Boardwalk's parent company.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-04-2006 09:42 AM

Love that Sushi

I make my own Sushi and it taste great but does not look as pretty as the guy at Ichiban on Youree Drive that guy is great. I have tried all the ones in Shreveport/Bossier and Ichiban is best. Yellowfin Tuna is great but they have it all. I have to wonder if a Sushi bar in that location could make the money it would need to pay rent ? I hope so it would be a great idea. After having made my own I see how much mark up they have and they make some big bucks I can make one tuna roll for about 3.00 they charge 12.00 at the sushi bars. You can buy good sushi supplies at Fuji-Ya Market on Airline Drive and they have other good food.
Isaac

Al Swearengen 12-04-2006 06:14 PM

Eating ANYTHING raw is asking for trouble, IMO. Raw fish is riddled with worms and other parasites, most too small to see with the naked eye. Proceed with caution!

geodood 12-04-2006 06:23 PM

I love sushi as well. Yet Al makes a good point, which is unfortunate since raw meats, nuts, fruits, and veggies offer much better nutrition than cooked, processed, or preserved foods. Fortunately, wasabi has anti-bacterial properties. :) Parasites are killed by freezing and re-thawing saltwater fish such as tuna.

joepole 12-04-2006 08:40 PM

Sushi

Sushi isn't raw and doesn't contain fish. It's cooked rice.

Al Swearengen 12-04-2006 09:39 PM

"Sushi" as an english word has come to refer to the complete dish, rice AND toppings, which are usually raw fish! ( wikipedia ) Nothing too exotic about cooked rice alone.

geodood 12-05-2006 12:14 AM

Interesting. I thought sushi meant "finger food" for lack of a better term. I'm no real expert, but some sushi has no rice (sashimi) and some sushi has no fish (cucumber roll). And some sushi has cooked fish or shellfish (spider roll). And now there are lots of americanized nuevo sushi's such as "california roll" and so on. I even saw one with creme cheeze and Jalepeno's! Something for everyone!

Isaac-Saxxon 12-05-2006 07:08 AM

Sashimi is for the die hards

Tuna taste better raw than cooked and eating Sashimi if it is a good quality fish is best. Rice and other cooked items cover up the great taste of the fish.
Isaac

If it looks like fish and smells like fish and taste like fish it must be ...

joepole 12-05-2006 12:27 PM

Most dishes served in sushi restaurants aren't raw.

Rough Rider 12-05-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Eating ANYTHING raw is asking for trouble, IMO. Raw fish is riddled with worms and other parasites, most too small to see with the naked eye. Proceed with caution!

I'm gonna have to go with Al on this one. Not that I know anything about anything when it comes to Sushi

geodood 12-05-2006 01:37 PM

I'm with Isaac on this one. As a fan of Lord of the Rings for 30 years, I never thought I would love raw fish (specifically tuna) like I do. But cooking it ruins it my precious! It really does. The American diet reaks havoc on the gall bladder and other organs. I find the more I crave sushi, the less I crave fried fatty foods.

When it comes to sashimi (including Beef sashimi), its all about quality. Some meats are "sushi grade" and some are not. I've never had the opportunity to afford one, but it would be a sin to cook a $200 Kobe Wagyu steak well done. It should be served as sashimi or seared at most (or dipped into a hot broth) That is called shaboo shaboo or something like that. (sp?) I hope to try one (and I mean one!) someday. Conversely it would be a sin (and stupid) to buy any meat down at Krogers and eat it raw. The product is just not the same or intended for the same purpose.

Neo 12-05-2006 02:06 PM

I here if you need to poison someone.... SUSHI is the way the way to go.
Just a little polonium goes a long way.... courtsey madam curie???:eek: :eek:

rhertz 12-05-2006 06:36 PM

LOL, yeah I wouldn't eat at "Sushi Ito" for sure! The polonium rolls suck pretty bad.

Al Swearengen 12-05-2006 06:41 PM

How about a lil strontium 90? Just what a growin boy needs!

whoisthat 12-05-2006 08:24 PM

sushi flavors

does sushi taste like Goobers?

geodood 12-05-2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoisthat
does sushi taste like Goobers?

LOL, I may not be a sushi expert, but as the all time Goober expert, I can say..........no. But thank you so much for asking!

I think I know who whoisthat is, and that's not easy to say!

kansast 12-05-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geodood
LOL, I may not be a sushi expert, but as the all time Goober expert, I can say..........no. But thank you so much for asking!

I think I know who whoisthat is, and that's not easy to say!

If the "goober" is ANY hint at all.. I think I might know who whoisthat is as well.. and yeah, that ain't easy to say. LOL :cool:

Mudbug 12-06-2006 08:01 PM

back to the topic at hand...

The folks who make the sushi at Target are really doing a fine job and make a tasty little dish for me for lunch on many occasions.

Granted, I get the California roll that contains the imitation crabmeat which is fully cooked, but it's good, and gives me a great variety in what would otherwise be another hot pocket/lean cuisine pizza lunchtime.

geodood 12-06-2006 09:21 PM

I haven't tried the sushi from Target, but I have tried it at Brookshires and I wasn't very impressed. I might have to try it sometimes if I can catch them shortly after they make it. I also haven't tried Ichiban (sp?) on Youree drive which I hear is good also. Today I ran into a friend who said he liked Tokyo. That has not been my experience. To each his own. Also I'm sure things vary month to month. I really hope Sushi ko turns out to be the real deal.

geodood 12-06-2006 10:12 PM

While this topic is still active, I thought I might post my favorite sushi dishes. If you like sushi, please do the same! (If you don't, read em and weep!) LOL

#1 Spicy Tuna Carpaccio or Spicy Tuna Salad

There are many variations of this dish. Basically you take some FRESH raw yellow tail tuna or Ahi tun and dice it and mix it with chili sauce and sesame oil. Sometime it is served with diced cucumber mixed in as well, which I like. And sometimes it is just strips of raw tuna over a mixed green salad (with cuc) and chili oil and sesame oil drizzled over the top. My favorite touch is some shave nori (dried seaweed) over the top for garnish. Also flying fish roe (tobikko) is also a great garnish.

#2 Fresh sashimi

This is where you get to appreciate the taste and TEXTURE of raw fish and nothing else. I only order this when I am “out of town” and near the coast. I do not like Salmon in any form, but I like tuna and yellow tail (Hamachi), not to be confused with yellow tail tuna which is totally different and one of my favorites. Dip it in some soy sauce mixed with a bit of wasabi and enjoy!

#3 Spider Roll

This is a fried soft shell crab roll with no “raw” fish at all. Good for newbies who happen to love crab. A safe bet.

#4 Spicy Tuna Roll

This is basically the mixture from #1 but rolled up with rice into a "Maki sushi" roll. Almost all sushi bars have this so this is my "old staple" when I am in doubt. (not that I get the opportunity to try new resturants often)

But I do judge how good a sushi bar is by their nigiri zushi and spicy tuna rolls! If they can't do that, (the basics) then there is no use going any further.

Also please post your favorite sushi resturant experience if you have one. Mine would be at "Osaka" down in Destin, FL during our last family vacation a couple of years ago. It was very good with lots of Sake to choose from.

Isaac-Saxxon 12-07-2006 06:41 AM

Tokyo would be my last choice for sushi

I am sure Target or Brookshires is as good or better than Tokyo. I will go with the Rainbow roll if I get a roll.
Isaac

FunnyGuy 12-13-2006 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How do they answer their phone?

LateNight 12-13-2006 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never tried that Sushi.. I've been to a couple of Japanese restaurants, where they cook the stuff right there in front of you. Typical rice and chicken, shrimp etc.. that kind of stuff.

I guess they don't have fortune cookies in Japanese restaurants ?

geodood 12-13-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
I guess they don't have fortune cookies in Japanese restaurants ?

Many Japanese resturants here are owned by Korean Americans and serve Chinese fortune cookies. Go figure. It may be best to think of most Japanese resturants as Asian resturants in general, at least in the states. Then it all makes sense. No matter who makes it, I loves it! (as long as they are good at making it)

Cichlid Man 12-14-2006 03:08 PM

Ever tried Cichlid Sushi ?

I hear puffer fish make good Sushi. It you eat the right amount you will get some kind of high from it and if you eat to much you will die :eek: While in Sushi cutting school they must eat there own Sushi and like I said one to many puffer fish and it's all over. I have not notice a shortage of Sushi guys with the funny little white paper hats ?
Cichlid Man

Snow Man 12-15-2006 02:02 PM

Sushi is just as good cooked

I like the soft shell crab and the crunchy roll. I love the Edamame (boiled soybeans) with a bit of soy. Now I do not like Smelt Eggs or Eel (Unagi) at all ! My wife Mrs. Snow Man will not even try it but girls have a right to be girls.
Snow Man

geodood 12-15-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snow Man
I like the soft shell crab and the crunchy roll. I love the Edamame (boiled soybeans) with a bit of soy. Now I do not like Smelt Eggs or Eel (Unagi) at all ! My wife Mrs. Snow Man will not even try it but girls have a right to be girls.

I have made my own sushi a few times and I get my supplies here:
http://www.catalinaop.com/

There are several kinds of Roe used in the restaurants, but two are the most popular. The cheaper of the two is the one you mention, Capelin (Smelt) Roe which is called Masago. A similar roe but much better in my opinion is Flying Fish Roe called Tobikko. This is slighty smaller and crunchy and flavorful and makes a good "accent" with tuna. But I'm not much into Battleship sushi (Gunkan maki) where the Roe is the main feature.

Here are two good tuna receipes just as an unrelated side note:

http://www.catalinaop.com/articles.asp?id=180
http://www.catalinaop.com/articles.asp?id=179

geodood 12-15-2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cichlid Man
I hear puffer fish make good Sushi. It you eat the right amount you will get some kind of high from it and if you eat to much you will die :eek: While in Sushi cutting school they must eat there own Sushi and like I said one to many puffer fish and it's all over. I have not notice a shortage of Sushi guys with the funny little white paper hats ?

Yes I saw that on TV once. Apparently it costs the customer quite a large amount of money to be served this potentially fatal 'delicacy'. I wouldn't touch FUGU if my life depended on it! (pun intended) But if I did eat it and survived, I would likely be broke! :rolleyes:

FunnyGuy 12-21-2006 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What kind of sushi is this?
FunnyGuy
See my stuff at www.shreveport.com/shreveporthappyhour

Isaac-Saxxon 05-07-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
LOL, yeah I wouldn't eat at "Sushi Ito" for sure! The polonium rolls suck pretty bad.

Hey rhertz what do you think about summer time sushi :laugh: :laugh:

piemaker720 05-07-2007 01:16 PM

No thanks! There is 2 things this woman ain't eating that is sushi and raw oysters. Forgive me but raw food and sucking slime don't appeal. I love oysters fried but that's it. I'm a down home eater.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-07-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
No thanks! There is 2 things this woman ain't eating that is sushi and raw oysters. Forgive me but raw food and sucking slime don't appeal. I love oysters fried but that's it. I'm a down home eater.

I am a down home eater too :D I like my sushi raw and steaks almost tartar and my chicken cooked real good. Yellow-fin Tuna is hard to beat just add some soy and off to the races. I have a video the kids gave me and a book on how to roll your own sushi. I have done it and it taste good but does not look like what is in the book :laugh:

AnimeSpirit 05-07-2007 01:46 PM

No sushi or oysters for me either. :yuck: Give me McDonald's any day. :D

Isaac-Saxxon 05-07-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
No sushi or oysters for me either. :yuck: Give me McDonald's any day. :D

Anime you should be tared and feathered for posting about McDonald's on a sushi thread :laugh: Look men like sushi and most girls do not :rolleyes:

Pocahontas 05-07-2007 02:33 PM

The raw stuff is nasty!! The cooked tolerable, but I don't like the way seaweed tastes. I tried eating it in rice paper once and it was okay. Give me some Mexican food any day of the week though!!:)

piemaker720 05-07-2007 02:38 PM

I do like Mexican and Chinese. But if I had to chose my favorite kinds of meal, it has to be 1. Home cooking. 2. Seafood. 3. bar-b-que.

joepole 05-07-2007 02:40 PM

Tartare means ground and raw, not just raw.

There is nothing in this universe that tastes better than raw tuna.

AnimeSpirit 05-07-2007 02:45 PM

I use to like Mexican, but I've grown so tired of it in recent months. The only Asian food I like is pocky.

Texasbelle 05-07-2007 04:14 PM

I am with Pokie, give me my Mexican any day, every day. But no sushi or raw steak or oysters. That's nasty food.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-07-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Tartare means ground and raw, not just raw.

There is nothing in this universe that tastes better than raw tuna.

Joe that would be Tataki Beef or Tataki Tuna. I do agree tuna is the way to go for sushi :clap: