Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post City Bids Farewell to SFD Chief Kelvin Cochran

City, Friends, bid Godspeed to SFD Chief Kelvin Cochran at Farewell Party

Hundreds turn out for Reception at I-Bowl Stadium Club Room

By: Tom Pace, Executive Editor, SBLive!
December 13th, 2007

They all called him ‘Friend’. Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover proclaimed it:
“Kelvin Cochran Day, in the City of Shreveport…The State of Louisiana… and the Ark-La-Tex”, because, as Mayor Glover put it, “…I believe I’m the biggest mayor in these parts, and I can take that liberty.”

Hundreds packed the Club Room level of Independence Stadium Wednesday night, taking a moment to say good-bye to Shreveport Fire Chief Kelvin Cochran, as he heads to Atlanta, Georgia to become their new Fire Chief, on January 2nd, 2008. Cochran met with friends and colleagues alike, for a hug…a smile…a photo… remembering old times… and, celebrating his next journey on the ladder of success.

Speeches honoring Chief Cochran were given by Durell Tuberville, Chaplain for SFD; Joe Shyne, City Council President; Dr. Rod Mastellar, Summergrove Baptist Church Pastor, and Brian Crawford. Assistant to the Fire Chief, SFD. Dr. E. Edward Jones, Pastor at Galilee Baptist Church gave the invocation, and reflected on his friendship with Chief Cochran.

Everyone who wanted to say “Thanks, and Good Luck,” got a chance, as Chief Cochran stood patiently, with his wife Carolyn by his side, posing for pictures, accepting tokens of appreciation, laughing, and sometimes, crying. Retired Shreveport Fire Chief Dallas Greene, who hired Cochran, 26 years ago, as a young recruit out of the Fire Academy, took his turn shaking his protégé’s hand, and bidding him farewell.

Too many folks to name every one…too many gifts to remember every one, but one stands out: a photograph of downtown original Central Fire Station, given to Chief Cochran, by the “A” Shift at the new Dallas W. Greene Central Fire Station.

A true Christian, Chief Cochran praised the Lord for his blessings, his friendships, and the opportunity to go on to the next level in his calling in the fire service. He said, “…it’s more than putting out fires, it’s about saving our community thru good deeds and caring for the citizens, when they have other needs…like the Fire Department’s Annual Food Drive for the Northwest Louisiana Bank.”

Godspeed and Good Luck, Chief Cochran. We’ll miss you.

Last edited by sbl_admin; 12-14-2007 at 09:15 AM.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I've been to a few functions at which he spoke. He's quite intelligent and it's a real loss.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 272 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin View Post
City, Friends, bid Godspeed to SFD Chief Kelvin Cochran at Farewell Party

Hundreds turn out for Reception at I-Bowl Stadium Club Room

By: Tom Pace, Executive Editor, SBLive!
December 13th, 2007

Godspeed and Good Luck, Chief Crawford. We’ll miss you.

Oops I'm sure you meant Chief Cochran! Gotta watch out there, Mr. Editor!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote