Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Religion & Spirit

Notices

Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Tomoshibi

Rep Power: 0 Tomoshibi has a spectacular aura about Tomoshibi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Tomoshibi Send a message via Yahoo to Tomoshibi
The forum isn't going Pagan as a whole, but I did drop one Pagan-oriented thread in the religious section here. Other than that, there is just this thread that is discussing Easter and it's historical significance.

However, I did notice something on my previous post on this topic. I got my holidays a little crossed. Beltane isn't our equivalent of Easter. Ostara is the Pagan Easter. Sorry for the confusion. Here is a small cut from Lady Bridget's article on this holiday. This will sound a whole lot more sensible.

Quote:
Ostara, Eostre, Easter, Vernal Equinox, Spring Equinox, and First Day of Spring are all names for the same festival time. This is the day when the light and darkness are of equal length, and afterwards the days get longer. This occurs when the Sun enters Aries, which is on March 20th or 21st. This is the time when the light symbolically "triumphs over darkness", so it is no wonder that the Christian's put their Easter, wbere the God of Light triumphs over darkness and rises again, at this time of year. It has long been the time for Gods to return from the Underworld, or the darkness, as we shall see.

Agriculturally, this is the time in most of Europe and America when the seeds are sown and planted in the ground. This corresponds in Wicca also to the planting of new ideas, new goals for the coming year, new businesses or new activities to be started.

This holiday is sacred to Eostre, Anglo-Saxon Goddess of Spring, also known as Ostre. Sacred to Her are eggs, and white rabbits. There is a legend in which a white rabbit fell in love with her, and to prove his love he laid colored eggs for her everyday. (Eggs and white rabbits, sound familiar anyone?) The white rabbit symbolizes the transformation of innocence, and constant fertility. The eggs symbolize new life, and also rebirth. In ancient times, when hens were not domesticated, it was necessary to climb trees and hunt for these eggs, no doubt a welcome treat after the dreary winter fare. Thus we may have the origination of the egg hunt so many cultures still do today. Also, since the eggs are found in the woven nests of birds, which were the inspration for woven baskets, we can see the link between the ancient ways and our traditions today of putting the colored eggs into pretty woven baskets.

Last edited by Tomoshibi; 12-22-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Tomoshibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Judging by some of the topics of 'Today's Posts' it looks like this forum is going Pagan ??? what's up with that.
God I hope not. I kinda wish Isaac didn't mention the "P" word. It's not even Easter, it's Christmas! Almost as bad as discussing evolution.

Merry Christmas everyone! And don't give me any crap about Christmas trees or whatever having Pagan origins... (from either side of the equation) Things are whatever you want to make of them sometimes. Truth is relative to what we choose to believe.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
mention the "P" word (Pagan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
God I hope not. I kinda wish Isaac didn't mention the "P" word. It's not even Easter, it's Christmas! Almost as bad as discussing evolution.

Merry Christmas everyone! And don't give me any crap about Christmas trees or whatever having Pagan origins... (from either side of the equation) Things are whatever you want to make of them sometimes. Truth is relative to what we choose to believe.
Well folks it is that time of year to get the bunnies and eggs out and bring them in to the church. Anime do you get a easter basket each year
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Well folks it is that time of year to get the bunnies and eggs out and bring them in to the church. Anime do you get a easter basket each year
Isaac
Not usually. I help with such events, but I usually don't take part myself. The holiday antics are more for children these days.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #20
BrianSmashR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I looked for some chocolate crosses at the store but they didn't have any. It looks like more eggs and bunnies again this year in my house. Which gives me an idea for a new store. Easter Chocolates for Christians! We could offer chocolate crucifictions. The kids could fight over who gets to bite off Jesus's head. Maybe offer Lifesaver Bibles with Genesis first as butterscotch.

I think you are just jealous that you don't get to eat bunnies and eggs and you really want to. I know you want to. They might be evil, but they taste so good.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmashR
I looked for some chocolate crosses at the store but they didn't have any. It looks like more eggs and bunnies again this year in my house. Which gives me an idea for a new store. Easter Chocolates for Christians! We could offer chocolate crucifictions. The kids could fight over who gets to bite off Jesus's head. Maybe offer Lifesaver Bibles with Genesis first as butterscotch.

I think you are just jealous that you don't get to eat bunnies and eggs and you really want to. I know you want to. They might be evil, but they taste so good.
Brain I am so sorry for you that you feel the need to say such things and make fun of a man who was willing to die for you. I hope that one day you will find him and come to know him in the same manner that myself, Isaac, Isabella, and others on this board have. It will be the greatest day of your life EVER!

Somebody asked "Is this board going Pagan?" I hope not, if it does...I'M GONE!

To whomever quoted the Bible as saying "Honor thy neighbor". It's actually "Love thy neighbor". Now you can interpret that many ways I suppose and Isaac can jump in here. I at this stage in my growth as a Christian understand it to mean that I am going to love you as another of God's creations. I do not have to accept you choosing to worship as a Pagan and I don't. It goes against everything written in God's word. I will love my fellow humans and pray for those not in God's will. I do not have to accept things they do not in God's will. It's really that simple. I can still be your friend and I will. I will have dinner with you, but I will try to lead you to a better way with prayer and by living by example. I have to "Honor" my father and mother, not you.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #22
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Gooooooooooooooooo Texaxbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Brain I am so sorry for you that you feel the need to say such things and make fun of a man who was willing to die for you. I hope that one day you will find him and come to know him in the same manner that myself, Isaac, Isabella, and others on this board have. It will be the greatest day of your life EVER!

To whomever quoted the Bible as saying "Honor thy neighbor". It's actually "Love thy neighbor". Now you can interpret that many ways I suppose and Isaac can jump in here. I at this stage in my growth as a Christian understand it to mean that I am going to love you as another of God's creations. I do not have to accept you choosing to worship as a Pagan and I don't. It goes against everything written in God's word. I will love my fellow humans and pray for those not in God's will. I do not have to accept things they do not in God's will. It's really that simple. I can still be your friend and I will. I will have dinner with you, but I will try to lead you to a better way with prayer and by living by example. I have to "Honor" my father and mother, not you.
I could not agree more. I do not think that this board is going pagan even though there are a few on the board and we all know who you pagans are but they too are nice folks just on the wrong thread in life.
Isaac
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #23
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:

I do not have to accept you choosing to worship as a Pagan and I don't. It goes against everything written in God's word. I will love my fellow humans and pray for those not in God's will. I do not have to accept things they do not in God's will. It's really that simple. I can still be your friend and I will. I will have dinner with you, but I will try to lead you to a better way with prayer and by living by example. I have to "Honor" my father and mother, not you.
That's a shame, really, Tbelle. Isaac is right. There are some Pagans on this board as well and they have so far not made any implications against Christianity.

Last edited by AnimeSpirit; 04-03-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #24
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Anime do not take it personal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
That's a shame, really, Tbelle. Isaac is right. There are some Pagans on this board as well and they have so far not made any implications against Christianity.
There are many different people and just as many different religions or those that do not have any religion on this site. This thread is for those who call themselves Christian and practice pagan rituals in the place of Passover. Tbelle do not let that pesudo Brain bother you I think he is just kidding because I posted to this thread. Just how many of you avatars do the bunny and egg thing and then get up and worship the sun ?
Isaac
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #25
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Anime- I hope I did not offend you. I certainly don't mean too, but I have to answer to my God and conscience. If this board were to be devoted to and full of Pagans, I in good conscience could not participate. Since it is a diverse board, I am more than happy to and hope that I will have a positive influence on anyone reading my posts, thoughts, and opinions.

As for Brain, I will continue to pray. Really, that's about all you can do with him.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #26
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Anime- I hope I did not offend you. I certainly don't mean too, but I have to answer to my God and conscience. If this board were to be devoted to and full of Pagans, I in good conscience could not participate. Since it is a diverse board, I am more than happy to and hope that I will have a positive influence on anyone reading my posts, thoughts, and opinions.
As for Brain, I will continue to pray. Really, that's about all you can do with him.
No, you didn't offend me. However, you can respect other religions and still devote yourself to your own. It's a question of angle in your prayers. Do you pray that all non-Christians will become Christians or do you just pray for their happiness?

By the by, Isaac is right. The Brain with the goofy animated avatar is not likely to be the original BrainSmashR.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #27
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

I don't care which Brain he is, his remarks are offensive in all sorts of ways.

As a Christian, I pray for God's will in your life, I pray for you to be happy, healthy, and have all the joy God desires for you. I also pray that you will come to know him.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #28
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Good post Tbelle

Quote:
I don't care which Brain he is, his remarks are offensive in all sorts of ways.

As a Christian, I pray for God's will in your life, I pray for you to be happy, healthy, and have all the joy God desires for you. I also pray that you will come to know him.

Try it, you'll like it!
Dare to make a stand !!! Tbelle do you have all your eggs in the "right" basket ? Any bunnies ? Will you get up Sunday morning and face the rising sun ? Oh yea tis the season of the locust from May thru Sept.
Isaac
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #29
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:

Try it, you'll like it!
You know, it's a funny question with a twist that I can't help but ponder. If you pray for God's will in my life, would your God respond or mine? I honestly don't know that one.

I have tried it, actually, and I liked it for a time. When I was a kid and throughout much of my teen years, I was a devout Christian. I converted later when I decided Paganism was my truth. This was an educated decision on my part as I have had a very enlightening comparison in my experiences of the two. Pagans believe in God as well (and the Goddess), so I've long since come to know Him, but probably not the way you've come to know him yourself.

Again, I have nothing against Christianity. I didn't leave the religion because of any problems I had with it. It just wasn't for me. This is a moot point though, because Christians, in fact, have much in common with Pagans and many never realize it. The lifestyle isn't any different than normal. Many of the holidays we all celebrate have Pagan-related origins, like the one we're discussing here.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #30
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

How could you say such a thing ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmashR

I am glad I did not make that post. Wow ! Do you do voodoo dolls too ? I sure hope you do not choke on that chocolate in your mouth I am sure mother Tbelle will have some more words of wisdom for you before the night is over Hope you can sleep tonight after that post
Isaac the Saxxon