Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Entertainment

Notices

Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Are People Finally Getting The Rap Picture

The turning point is hard to pinpoint. But after 30 years of growing popularity, rap music is now struggling with an alarming sales decline and growing criticism from within about the culture's negative effect on society.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
The turning point is hard to pinpoint. But after 30 years of growing popularity, rap music is now struggling with an alarming sales decline and growing criticism from within about the culture's negative effect on society.
AMEN AMEN AMEN I hate rap music and we all know what types of words are sang with this music. I would listen to country (barf) before I listen to rap
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
AMEN AMEN AMEN I hate rap music and we all know what types of words are sang with this music. I would listen to country (barf) before I listen to rap
Agree with you 100% on this one. Word!

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I'm a very eclectic music fan. My music collection has country, techno, opera, classical, and even some Japanese music (Ayumi Hamasaki is awesome! ). However, rap is the one genre that will never be a part of my collection.

A few years ago, I was back in the Navy. I was working in the ship's post office with several other postal clerks. Most of the others liked rap music and that is what played on the radio EVERYDAY! >_<;; There was one day I still remember where the song playing was a rap song called "B*tch, get out the way." The song was so offensive, I stood up and said, "I can't take anymore of this bullsh*t music. I'll be back in a few." A female PC in the room (female of all people!) stood up in outrage and replied, "No one ever calls your music bullsh*t!" I replied, "The day you people actually let me play my music in here is the day you can call it bullsh*t. But right now, I'm sick of yours." And I left.

Rap music is just so offensive. The artists (and I use that term very loosely) typically sing about gangs, rape, murder, doing drugs, and lust. It's AWFUL music and should disappear, in my opinion.

Music is an art, hence the reason singers are called "artists." Art is the ability to share your feelings and experiences through creation. With that said, who would want to experience the kinds of things they sing about in rap music?!
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Shrevenator

Rep Power: 0 Shrevenator has a spectacular aura about Shrevenator has a spectacular aura about
What about Crunk? How do you all feel about Crunk?

Gimme some Lil' Jon and Ying Yang! Damn, I like dat, I like dat

Git'n Low Git'n Low Git'n Low!
Shrevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
I have never been a fan of rap music. The language is offensive and so is the sound. It hurts my eardrums when someone is behind me and I can feel my vehicle vibrate from the loud rap music. Why do they have to play it so loud?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Don't see anyone here coming to the defense for RAP music. I can assure you, it won't be me that does it. I'll throw in my vote for CAN'T STAND IT.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
It fills a missing link for some

Like the hollow log and sticks of old. I do not think anyone on this site will be able to say they like rap and me for one no way.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

CNN -- Mar 6 2007 8:33 AM
Has rap music hit a wall?
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
I won't miss rap when it becomes a memory of a past age like Disco was.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #12
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Hey now! Disco had SOME redeeming qualities...cant compare rap (which is actually spelled "crap", the "c" is silent) to disco.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Oh, I'm not saying disco was as bad as rap, although there is no disco in my music collection. But it too had its time and I meant that we can only hope rap is approaching the end of its time as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Lol...cant argue with ya there, navy man. But you just might have some disco in your collection and not even know it. Got any Jackson Browne? How about a 70's compilation?
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

I don't know Jackson Browne and the 70s was before my time. I have no 70s music at all in my collection.

My music collection consists of 213 tracks and still growing. Much of it is country music. Some is techno, mostly Sarina Paris. I have two operas: Diva Dance and an Italian opera call Aria di Mezzo Carattere. I also have quite a bit of Japanese music. My favorite Japanese artists include Megumi Hayashibara, Ayumi Hamasaki, and Utada Hikaru.

Here's a Youtube clip of a guy playing Aria di Mezzo Carattere

Lovely tune, isn't it?

Last edited by AnimeSpirit; 03-06-2007 at 08:44 PM.