Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Supreme Court could take guns case

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court justices have track records that make predicting their rulings on many topics more than a mere guess. Then there is the issue of the Second Amendment and guns, about which the court has said virtually nothing in nearly 70 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071111/.../scotus_guns_5
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I've read about countries where gun control was passed and it actually made homocides even worse.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
They'll probably decline to hear it...again.

Even if they do rule on it there's no guarantee their decision will affect anywhere outside DC, it all depends on what specifically they decide and how they word it.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
They'll probably decline to hear it...again.

Even if they do rule on it there's no guarantee their decision will affect anywhere outside DC, it all depends on what specifically they decide and how they word it.
If Clinton gets elected we all need to hang on tight to our guns. The DNC at large would like to take them away. Time for America to take a stand !!
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Last edited by Isaac-Saxxon; 11-12-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
So is it any coincidence that D.C. has the highest homicide rate per capita in the U.S.? Well is it? NO...it aint! See how that works?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
D.C. does not have the highest homicide rate per capita in this country. In fact, their MSA homicide rate in 2006 (8.8/100,000) was lower than the Shreveport-Bossier City MSA (11.3/100,000). The homicide rate for the D.C. MSA was slightly higher than Alexandria, LA's, and slightly lower than Tulsa, OK's, around 63rd in the nation.

#1 was, unsurprisingly, New Orleans (21.7/100,000). #2 was Flint, MI (15.4), and #3 was Baton Rouge (14.4). The national average was 5.7.

The only way Washington gets near the top is if you start adding restrictions such as "among cities over a certain size" or "only counting crimes counted within the city limits instead of the MSA," neither of which reflect reality. The FBI doesn't publish stats for crimes committed within the actual, physical city limits (only publishes by MSA) but MorganQuinto does (a year behind). Restricting it like that puts Washington at #13 for 2005 (latest year available from them).

Source:

2006 FBI Uniform Crime Report
Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
D.C. does not have the highest homicide rate per capita in this country. In fact, their MSA homicide rate in 2006 (8.8/100,000) was lower than the Shreveport-Bossier City MSA (11.3/100,000). The homicide rate for the D.C. MSA was slightly higher than Alexandria, LA's, and slightly lower than Tulsa, OK's, around 63rd in the nation.

#1 was, unsurprisingly, New Orleans (21.7/100,000). #2 was Flint, MI (15.4), and #3 was Baton Rouge (14.4). The national average was 5.7.

The only way Washington gets near the top is if you start adding restrictions such as "among cities over a certain size" or "only counting crimes counted within the city limits instead of the MSA," neither of which reflect reality. The FBI doesn't publish stats for crimes committed within the actual, physical city limits (only publishes by MSA) but MorganQuinto does (a year behind). Restricting it like that puts Washington at #13 for 2005 (latest year available from them).

Source:

2006 FBI Uniform Crime Report
Did you count Spring Lake and Cedar Grove in those numbers
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
When they kick out your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun

When the law break in
How you gonna go?
Shot down on the pavement
Or waiting in death row

You can crush us
You can bruise us
But you'll have to answer to
Oh, Guns of Brixton
------
Guns of Brixton
The Clash
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Alright Joe, upon further investigation, it turns out that you're correct. However,

In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134 percent while the national murder rate has dropped 2 percent.

20 percent of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just 6 percent of the population - New York, Chicago, Detroit and Washington, D.C. - and each has a virtual prohibition on private handguns.

Drastically increasing homicide led Washington, D.C., to ban handguns in the 1970s. So useless was this that D.C. soon had (and continues to have) some of the nation’s highest murder rates.

So, suffice it to say that D.C. is a dangerous place, in large part due to the prohibitive gun laws. Now, ya smartypants nitpickin little busybody, I'm gonna hafta ask ya to refrain from commentin on my posts since you're so goddamn selective about it, ok? Quid pro quo...if ya want to add your less-than-useful .02, you're gonna hafta reciprocate by addressin questions directed back at you, just as if we were conversin in person.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-13-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
Alright Joe, upon further investigation, it turns out that you're correct. However,
Ouch that's gotta hurt to say, especially for a salty ole dog like yourself. But it takes a man to admit when his opponent got in a good shot. I'm rootin' fer ya Al. Whip his butt!

Quote:
In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134 percent while the national murder rate has dropped 2 percent.

20 percent of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just 6 percent of the population - New York, Chicago, Detroit and Washington, D.C. - and each has a virtual prohibition on private handguns.

Drastically increasing homicide led Washington, D.C., to ban handguns in the 1970s. So useless was this that D.C. soon had (and continues to have) some of the nation’s highest murder rates.
I bet Joe packs a shotgun or pistol or something... he ain't no Yankee...

Quote:
So, suffice it to say that D.C. is a dangerous place, in large part due to the prohibitive gun laws. Now, ya smartypants nitpickin little busybody, I'm gonna hafta ask ya to refrain from commentin on my posts since you're so goddamn selective about it, ok? Quid pro quo...if ya want to add your less-than-useful .02, you're gonna hafta reciprocate by addressin questions directed back at you, just as if we were conversin in person.
LOL, well, nothing wrong with some actual facts in a good debate. I love to see you two gettin' after it... But I hope you ain't gunna meet at the park at sunrise to cross swords......
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
I bet Joe packs a shotgun or pistol or something
He doesnt need a gun when he can just annoy the bad guys with his nitpicky snivelin tone until they surrender or decide to look for less irritatin targets elsewhere.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-13-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>So, suffice it to say that D.C. is a dangerous place, in large part due to the prohibitive gun laws.

Why do you say "in large part?" It may be true, it may not, what evidence do you have either way? Correlation does not equal causation.

NYC upped their handgun restrictions in 1992 and the homicide rate has fallen over 50%. Shreveport's gun laws haven't changed at all in 30 years (except for getting looser by allowing concealed carry and tighter by restricting them in school zones) so what explains our homicide rate roller coaster? Crime follows poverty, poverty follows low intelligence, and low intelligence partly (if not mainly in this country) follows dysgenic social programs.

>I'm gonna hafta ask ya to refrain from commentin on my posts since you're so goddamn selective about it, ok?

And if I don't you're going to...??? Ground me? I think I'll continue to post how I want instead of how you would like me to.

Selective? That was your only post in the thread until now.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I bet Joe packs a shotgun or pistol or something
The bottom desk drawer in my downstairs office:

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
>So, suffice it to say that D.C. is a dangerous place, in large part due to the prohibitive gun laws.

Why do you say "in large part?" It may be true, it may not, what evidence do you have either way? Correlation does not equal causation.

NYC upped their handgun restrictions in 1992 and the homicide rate has fallen over 50%. Shreveport's gun laws haven't changed at all in 30 years (except for getting looser by allowing concealed carry and tighter by restricting them in school zones) so what explains our homicide rate roller coaster? Crime follows poverty, poverty follows low intelligence, and low intelligence partly (if not mainly in this country) follows dysgenic social programs.

>I'm gonna hafta ask ya to refrain from commentin on my posts since you're so goddamn selective about it, ok?

And if I don't you're going to...??? Ground me? I think I'll continue to post how I want instead of how you would like me to.

Selective? That was your only post in the thread until now.
Are you a medium? Cuz anyone would think you've been channelin "BS" AKA "he who shall not be named". I say "in large part" because there are other factors that contribute to the incidence of violent crime, as ya pointed out. Draconian firearm restrictions invariably lead to increases in violent crime, as exemplified in England, Australia, etc. This has been proven true time and again and I dont intend to rehash it here for your benefit.

"Ground" ya? Wish I could. Obviously there's not much I can do to discourage ya from makin a nuisance of yourself if you're of a mind, which is why I asked ya not to. I suppose I could lobby the administrators to censor any posts ya make referencin my posts, but I shouldnt have to do that...that I asked ya should be enough. I dont care what ya post or how ya post it as long as you're not snipin at mine every time I turn around with your hairsplittin nitpickin snivelin semantics, seizin on every lil detail and generally makin a giant pain in the ass of yourself (which by the way I'm convinced is how ya obtain sexual gratification). Like a pesky gnat flittin about my head, the level of annoyance ya inspire is wayyyyy out of proportion to your presence. Now I realize you've got an axe to grind with me for all the times I highlighted your rather pedestrian thought processes, and I can understand how frustratin that must be for ya. Ya have my sympathy, but badgerin me aint gonna make ya appear any smarter. So again, I'll thank ya kindly to leave off and find someone else to bother. Fair enough?

And yes...selective...as ya know damn well you've been dodgin direct questions put to ya on other threads, so dont play dumb.

Nice Super Redhawk...can ya hit anythin with it? Personally, I've always found the standard Redhawk more aesthetically pleasin.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-14-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #15
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
>so what explains our homicide rate roller coaster? Crime follows poverty, poverty follows low intelligence, and low intelligence partly (if not mainly in this country) follows dysgenic social programs.
I'd have to say that drugs figure in there somewhere Joe.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote