Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Computer Talk & Tech

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Dial-Up

Dial-up is awful! My modem no longer works. I ordered another one, but it is not compatible with my router. I had to buy a computer with more USB ports and and an ethernet connection to work with new router/modem. Waiting for everything to come in. My equipment was 5 years old. including computer, so I figured time to upgrade. Apparently not compatiable with AT&T. I miss BellSouth! I guess I could have connected everything to my computer that is only 2 years old, but too lazy. LOL. It is in a cabinet and hard to get to things. Dell should love me. This is about the 7th Dell I have bought. I love the tech support. The last computer I bought I paid for 4 years support, but have not called them one time.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>I had to buy a computer with more USB ports

You could have bought a USB hub instead.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
LOL, don't listen to Joe. You NEEDED a new computer!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
This is true, but not for the reason of too few USB ports.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I'd rather not have Internet at all then go back to dial-up now.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

I've been on dial-up since Sunday when my cable went out. I'm this close to climbing a clock tower with a rifle.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
I've been on dial-up since Sunday when my cable went out. I'm this close to climbing a clock tower with a rifle.

I hear ya.. I use CMA Access out around the Blanchard area.. or Macco cable or what ever the heck it is.. been having all sorts of issues last week or two.. seems to have cleared up in the last day or so.. I'm HOPING !
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I can't tell you how much trouble we've had with Suddenlink....what a joke of a name! I become irate when the internet is down for more than an hour or so! It's funny how times have changed. I used to barely get online and now I'm on way too much!

Isabella, I'm curious as to why you still have dial up?

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Thank heavens I am back on DSL! It was a rough week! New computer came yesterday and I got to work last night installing it. Vista looks good. The AT&T guy that helped me this morning get wireless going on both computers told me it was the worse operating system he has ever seen. YIKES! LOL, my son will have to deal with it since I have XP Pro on mine. I ordered it, because I felt XP would be obsolete in a few years.

Pocohantas, it has been 5 years or more since I have used dial-up. My modem went bad, so I ordered another one, and my wireless was not compatiable, etc.... new computer. Yes, I like updated stuff, so I wanted a new one instead of spending money on an old one to get everything working.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Oh okay I misunderstood what you were saying! Congrats on your new equipment and glad you are back up and running!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
I'm more than a little embarrassed to admit that I have a T1 at home. Works great!

On a related note, I tried EVDO the other day (Alltel) and it sucks pretty bad. 200ms of latency and drops connections on a regular basis. But I did get 1 meg down through the speedtest at dslreports.com. I wonder if other brands of EVDO are any better when it comes to latency and dropouts?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote