Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Health

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
I guess this study changes my views about the preachers daughter stories. Is there any truth to those stories?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #17
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
I am not finding a link to the article you have. I am also not finding religious to necessarily be equated with Christian. I would love to read the entire article so as not to make assumptions.
On the first post of this thread, you'll notice below the description a link that says "Read More (1)" click that, it'll take you to the actual article after a few more clicks...

Or you could click here:

Study: Religion Is Good for Kids

Quote:
John Bartkowski, a Mississippi State University sociologist and his colleagues asked the parents and teachers of more than 16,000 kids, most of them first-graders, to rate how much self control they believed the kids had, how often they exhibited poor or unhappy behavior and how well they respected and worked with their peers.
The researchers compared these scores to how frequently the children’s parents said they attended worship services, talked about religion with their child and argued abut religion in the home.
The kids whose parents regularly attended religious services — especially when both parents did so frequently — and talked with their kids about religion were rated by both parents and teachers as having better self-control, social skills and approaches to learning than kids with non-religious parents.... READ MORE
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Very imformative article!!

Thanks Rhertz!! In my short windows of time, I am still learning to navigate this site. I feel a bit silly 'cause I just didn't see it.

However, I did read article and there's great info in it. I also heard more reported on radio news today as well. The study was based on question responses - a bit more than a survey. Participants were not identified ahead of time as particularly religious in any sense. If they had been, result could be seen as scewed.

Just as I have stated from my own experience with children, parents, and research of my own, the article says that people of religious backgrounds are more focused on their own beliefs and transfer those to their children. Here's the best quote from the info:

Bartkowski thinks religion can be good for kids for three reasons. First, religious networks provide social support to parents, he said, and this can improve their parenting skills. Children who are brought into such networks and hear parental messages reinforced by other adults may also “take more to heart the messages that they get in the home,” he said.

Secondly, the types of values and norms that circulate in religious congregations tend to be self-sacrificing and pro-family, Bartkowski told LiveScience. These “could be very, very important in shaping how parents relate to their kids, and then how children develop in response,” he said.

Finally, religious organizations imbue parenting with sacred meaning and significance, he said

Just says that religious parents care enough to learn about parenting, to say the right things, and to be good people themselves !! Good article!! Supports just what I have been saying.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
I think the point is that religious people with children are a more uniformly represented group than any others that have well behaved children.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo
I think the point is that religious people with children are a more uniformly represented group than any others that have well behaved children.
ChooChoo please explain that one I know for a fact that being humble to your maker also goes in life with other people. In short that same respect that we should show each other in everyday life. You can see the people that are atheist are very hostile people and with nothing to turn to in time of need I understand why they are that way.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #21
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
ChooChoo please explain that one I know for a fact that being humble to your maker also goes in life with other people. In short that same respect that we should show each other in everyday life. You can see the people that are atheist are very hostile people and with nothing to turn to in time of need I understand why they are that way.
What he's saying is that there aren't enough Atheists/Buddhists/Hindus/Wiccans in America, much less in this survey, as opposed to Christians to show that Atheists/Buddhists/Hindus/Wiccans are also capable of rearing well behaved children.

He's saying exactly what I said. When 90% of your survey group are known to share similar opinions, then obviously the results of your survey will be biased.

It's not rocket science, Isaac, it's looking at the poll with objectivity. Something you are incapable of achieving where religion is concerned.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
What he's saying is that there aren't enough Atheists/Buddhists/Hindus/Wiccans in America, much less in this survey, as opposed to Christians to show that Atheists/Buddhists/Hindus/Wiccans are also capable of rearing well behaved children.

He's saying exactly what I said. When 90% of your survey group are known to share similar opinions, then obviously the results of your survey will be biased.

It's not rocket science, Isaac, it's looking at the poll with objectivity. Something you are incapable of achieving where religion is concerned.
Thank you ChooChoo You are incapable of having faith in something you can not see, taste, smell or hear. That is very bad indeed. It is funny that you would call yourself brain because you seem to use very little of your brain to explore the things that you can not hold in your hand. Nice try Minion but once again just a few cents short
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #23
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Thank you ChooChoo You are incapable of having faith in something you can not see, taste, smell or hear. That is very bad indeed. It is funny that you would call yourself brain because you seem to use very little of your brain to explore the things that you can not hold in your hand. Nice try Minion but once again just a few cents short
Actually I have quite a vivid imagination, I just know the difference between the real world and make-believe.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #24
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Actually I have quite a vivid imagination, I just know the difference between the real world and make-believe.
I did not say vivid imagination I said faith and you seem to lack that all together. What is real to you and what is make-believe seems to be a very gray area buddy
Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
I did not say vivid imagination I said faith and you seem to lack that all together. What is real to you and what is make-believe seems to be a very gray area buddy
What your "faith" blinds you to is that it IS just an over active imagination.

BTW, there are no "gray areas" in science, buddy.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #26
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
What your "faith" blinds you to is that it IS just an over active imagination.

BTW, there are no "gray areas" in science, buddy.
No gray areas in science ? Buddy wake up and use the rest of your brain if that could be possible. Just like your space adventures there are old school thoughts being proved wrong all the time. Legion you too will soon enough find out just how your leader has poisoned you in that pit of filth. I see you work with the dregs of society by your post and that would be appropriate for you to find some kind of control in this "real" world you live in
Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #27
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
No gray areas in science ? Buddy wake up and use the rest of your brain if that could be possible. Just like your space adventures there are old school thoughts being proved wrong all the time. Legion you too will soon enough find out just how your leader has poisoned you in that pit of filth. I see you work with the dregs of society by your post and that would be appropriate for you to find some kind of control in this "real" world you live in
No scientific law has ever been proven wrong.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
No scientific law has ever been proven wrong.
Christ has not been proven wrong unlike you. Science is rethinking things all the time unlike you. You must hurry up with your work time is short and the harvest is near there will not be one tare left in the end
Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #29
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Christ has not been proven wrong unlike you. Science is rethinking things all the time unlike you. You must hurry up with your work time is short and the harvest is near there will not be one tare left in the end
Intelligent men don't waste time trying to disprove that which does not exist.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #30
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Oh foolish dirty bird

Quote:
Intelligent men don't waste time trying to disprove that which does not exist.
What would you say to explorers that are seeking the unknown
you Buzzard Brain

The Buzzard
If you put a Buzzard in a pen that is 6 feet by 8 feet and is entirely
open at the top, the bird, in spite of its ability to fly, will be an
absolute prisoner. The reason is that a Buzzard always begins a flight
from the ground with a run of 10 to 12 feet. Without space to run, as is
its habit, it will not even attempt to fly, but will remain a prisoner
for life in a small jail with no top. Blind as a brain-fart