Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Technology

Notices

Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post TV Has Come A Long Way

Attention owners of primitive TVs: If you still use an antenna to watch "American Idol," your picture will disappear at midnight on Feb. 17, 2009, unless you buy something called a digital converter box.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Attention owners of primitive TVs: If you still use an antenna to watch "American Idol," your picture will disappear at midnight on Feb. 17, 2009, unless you buy something called a digital converter box.
That's too funny. I assumed everyone had some type of cable, satellite, etc. Do people still use antennas? I remember the old days where we had some type of box with a dial so my dad didn't have to go outside and turn the antenna to catch a station. This was before cable. I do recall him going outside and turn the antenna too when I was younger.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
My guess is the majority of home owners have some type of satellite or cable in their home.....but I can remember several times, moving from apt. to apt. that I had to rely on broadcast TV because the cable company couldn't come until next week.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
but I can remember several times, moving from apt. to apt. that I had to rely on broadcast TV because the cable company couldn't come until next week.
OH THE HORROR !!!

And then there was that time, when I couldn't find the remote, and get this.. I had to GET UP and WALK over to the t.v. to change the freakin' channel.. can you believe that !??

LOL I remember the damn knob falling off the t.v., and we had to use a pair of pliers to change the freakin' channel.

I remember getting cable for the first time around '74 or '75. It opened up a world of Godzilla movies LOL
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
LOL....I know right.

I too often laugh at what constitutes a "horror" in our daily lives.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
These days you can get a commercial-free HD copy of the show a few hours after it broadcasts or watch it live on the computer.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
OH THE HORROR !!!

And then there was that time, when I couldn't find the remote, and get this.. I had to GET UP and WALK over to the t.v. to change the freakin' channel.. can you believe that !??

LOL I remember the damn knob falling off the t.v., and we had to use a pair of pliers to change the freakin' channel.

I remember getting cable for the first time around '74 or '75. It opened up a world of Godzilla movies LOL
Man I remember having a TV w/ no remote! The one that had the knobs and fell off eventually My mother use to fuss that i would sit too close to the TV, but who wanted to walk across the living room to change the channel once one program was over with?

Does anyone remember Romper Room??????
Old 03-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
Does anyone remember Romper Room??????
No but I do remember Bozo the Clown. My wife remembers HR Puffinstuff (sp?) but that was a little after my time. My favorite cartoons back then were Speedbuggy and Fantastic Four plus all the WB stuff like Roadrunner.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
scarlett
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
No but I do remember Bozo the Clown. My wife remembers HR Puffinstuff (sp?) but that was a little after my time. My favorite cartoons back then were Speedbuggy and Fantastic Four plus all the WB stuff like Roadrunner.
I use to watch speedbuggy and all wb cartoons also. Speed racer was one of my favorites.

I will say looking back at the cartoons vs what my children had and even todays cartoons, nothing can beat what we had then. I remember Ninja turtles when my kids were small and hated it.

Brutus and Popeye anyday!