Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
On this day in April 13, 1970

This day in history

April 13, 1970: Apollo 13 Tells Houston, 'We've Got a Problem'

Quote:
1970: Manned space flight has become so routine that it is easy to forget that it’s inherently dangerous to stuff astronauts inside a cramped capsule and blast them into the heavens on top of a Saturn V rocket. The Apollo 13 mission reminds us just how vulnerable we are.

Apollo 13, with astronauts James Lovell Jr., John Swigert Jr. and Fred Haise Jr. aboard, was on its way to the moon to perform the third lunar landing in a planned series of seven when, about 56 hours into the mission, an oxygen tank blew up, knocking out the command module’s electricity, light and water supply. “Hey, Houston, we’ve had a problem here,” Lovell told mission control, adding that some kind of gas was escaping outside the spacecraft. It was oxygen, and the mission quickly shifted from landing on the moon to getting the astronauts back alive. At the time, Apollo 13 was roughly 200,000 miles from Earth.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10075450.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	295  

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Good post LN

I do not think that space travel is that safe still but maybe a little better. I would find it hard to get in a Shuttle and take a flight to the moon just yet. The space program is a great thing and has helped man I think to better himself or better arm himself Sure getting crowded up there.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
refugen3

Rep Power: 0 refugen3 is just really nice refugen3 is just really nice refugen3 is just really nice refugen3 is just really nice
That's a great patch!
Space, the final frontier. I think that was from Star Trek.
I think it's all about adventure. The danger in a situation like this is something to be reckoned with, not hold us back.
Besides who wants the monkeys to get all the credit? Aren't we the intelligent species around here?
I'm glad we as people try out new, crazy things and continue to strive for new information about this wonderful world we live on and beyond!
refugen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Thumbs up I do love to look out into space

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugen3
That's a great patch!
Space, the final frontier. I think that was from Star Trek.
I think it's all about adventure. The danger in a situation like this is something to be reckoned with, not hold us back.
Besides who wants the monkeys to get all the credit? Aren't we the intelligent species around here?
I'm glad we as people try out new, crazy things and continue to strive for new information about this wonderful world we live on and beyond!
I have a 4.5 Celestron and I go to some of the star parties in the summer that LSU S does out at Worley planetarium south of town. You can learn a lot and they have some very nice telescopes with trackers on them and someone there to explain what you are looking at. Great fun pick a clear cool night in the early spring for best viewing.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
refugen3

Rep Power: 0 refugen3 is just really nice refugen3 is just really nice refugen3 is just really nice refugen3 is just really nice
Pluto in question

The sky is a wonderful place! I think the phases of the moon are pretty cool.
A way to keep track of time if you're organized.

Ya'll probably discussed this already, but the Pluto thing really gets me. It's interesting to me how science tries to sell us the line about based on facts & all, then pulls Pluto from the planets based on new scientific evidence.
It's not only Pluto, there's many other areas where the human race realizes perhaps they spoke too soon.
This goes along with some of the other threads and the "battle" between science & religion.
Funny how The Intelligent Design "theory" remains unchanged.
( I realize there are a few debatable details in regard to time and species)
Now, don't get me wrong some changes are good, invited even, but it's nice to know some things you can stand on, and are unchanging.

There's a lot of fun stuff out there to explore! I hope I never put the blinders on totally - I just found out I know a family that says they've seen (all together, at one time ) a UFO!(round, hovering, lights all around, space craft about 30-40 yrs. ago) That really got me to thinking
refugen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Just goes to show what a little technology, faith, and teamwork can do. It is amazing to me that we made it through the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs without any loss of life in space during an actual mission. Instead of dismantling the Apollo program, it should have been studied and duplicated for its success. Seems like the shuttle, skylab, ISS, etc have been foobar by comparison, with the exception of the Mars Rover program which is just amazing in its success like our 60's programs were. Also Hubble is cool, and we should have a bigger one to replace it IMHO
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote