Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > SBLive! Anime > Anime Reviews

Notices

Old 02-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Full Metal Alchemist - Anime Review

Full Metal Alchemist is another of your magical animes that is full of science, monsters, and magic that we all wish we could do here in the real world. The anime has considerable violence, loss of limb, and impalations, so if you're too young for that sort of thing, go to bed!

The anime revolves around the life of the brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric. Both are child prodigies in the science of Alchemy, the ability to transmute objects into other objects of equal mass. The law of Eqivalent Exchange plays a very high role in the series as the foundation of Alchemy as well as the general way of the world. Equivalent Exchange dictates, "to obtain, something of equal value must be lost." An equally valuable sacrifice must be made in order to obtain something else.

Of course, what the young brothers didn't know was just how costly it would be to use Alchemy to revive their mother. The brothers attempted to transmute their mother after her death, a known crime in Alchemy. The act cost Edward his left leg and Alphonse lost his entire body in this process. To quickly revive his brother, Edward offered his right arm to reacquire his brother's soul and attach it to a suit of armor in the room. Afterwards, Ed purchases a set of robotic limbs (called automail) and the two brothers set out on a journey to find a way to restore their bodies to normal.

Their first step was to join the military as a state alchemist (equal to an officer) and gain access to their resources. Though both Ed and Al qualify despite their young age, only Ed becomes a state alchemist, dubbed the Fullmetal Alchemist by the military. With the military's resources and funding to support them, the brothers set out to find the legendary Philosopher Stone, said to be the only way in alchemy to gain without Equivalent Exchange.

Picture below shows Edward on the right and Alphonse on the left.
Attached Images

AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Another one of my favs.....have you seen the movie?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Actually, no, but I so want to. I hear Ed comes back from beyond the gate and I'm curious how he does it without Alchemy.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Talking "Mr. Ed comes back from beyond the gate" oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Actually, no, but I so want to. I hear Ed comes back from beyond the gate and I'm curious how he does it without Alchemy.
Maybe you two could hook up and watch the cartoons together My kids watched Anime when they where much younger but now they have a day job and pay taxes and do not seem to watch cartoons anymore.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Maybe you two could hook up and watch the cartoons together My kids watched Anime when they where much younger but now they have a day job and pay taxes and do not seem to watch cartoons anymore.
Isaac
My guess is someone they were/are exposed to on a daily basis sucked all of their youth away because we all work and pay taxes.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Not everybody works and pays taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
My guess is someone they were/are exposed to on a daily basis sucked all of their youth away because we all work and pay taxes.
My children did what young adults do and should do grow up leave the nest and go and make their own family. It is called the natural order of things. No job hopping just get thru college and start at a good level in the work force and enjoy being independent. I did not suck anything but they sucked my pocket book but now that trend is changing and I hope they raise children and pay lots of taxes unlike so many youth that job hop and live in the fantasy world of cartoons.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Isaac
I can assure you that I have a steady job, I go to college (where I'm at the top of my class), and I not only pay my taxes, but I also file my own taxes too (H&R Block can't touch this! ). You seem to correspond anime with American cartoons which you obviously correspond to "childish entertainment" for people who just didn't grow up. I can safely assure you that this is definitely not the case with anime and it is certainly not the case with Americans who enjoy anime.

Anime is not merely a bunch of cartoons. It is quite the contrary! It is an artform in Japan, no different than any other, and is very popular in the U.S. for all ages. In Japan, every age group has their respective anime genres. Kids have the more playful animes with less complexity. Adults have anime with more action, drama, violence, and even romance (hentai anyone?). Unlike American animation, where audio is very unrealistic and video is unnaturally colorful and low-quality; Japanese anime has very high quality visual art, superb sound and music tracks, and storylines full of mythology, intriguingly realistic twists and suprises, and no expense is spared in creating an entertaining experience that encourages the viewers to feels the joys and pains of the characters as the story develops. It is truly a wonderful art!

The American connotations of what a cartoon is does not apply in the least to a cartoon that wasn't developed here.