Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #31
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
Would that have been at the Texas Jam concert.. at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX ?

I saw that show.. got to see Boston. Went to several of those Texas Jam concerts, saw all sorts of good music.. Deep Purple, Van Halen, Scorpions, and plenty of those heavy metal bands of the 80's that came and went. white snake, great white, Rat, etc.. At that partcular show where Boston headlined, we also saw
Man! What year was that?.......Texas Jam- too bad the kids these days don't get much stuff like that. Nowadays, concerts are so commercial, the shirts are $40.00 and the tickets are close to $100.00( for the good seats) I went to OZZ FEST last year @ the Starplex in Dallas and even the bottled water was $4.00
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #32
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
Man! What year was that?.......Texas Jam- too bad the kids these days don't get much stuff like that. Nowadays, concerts are so commercial, the shirts are $40.00 and the tickets are close to $100.00( for the good seats) I went to OZZ FEST last year @ the Starplex in Dallas and even the bottled water was $4.00
that Boston show was in 1987. even back then, it cost a small fortune.. the slogan was like "Texas Jam - water $4.00"

I remember those Texas Jam shows being a whole lot of fun. Me and several friends would pile up in our cars and head to dallas. that 1987 show was the last one I went to. I guess it's my age.. but going to place like the cotton bowl has got to be the WORST place to see a show. For me, I wasn't going to the Texas Jam for the music so much as I was for the "event" so it was fun. Last time I went to show in an arena THAT BIG.. some 60,000 people I think, I saw the Rolling Stones (1994 I think) I saw women get crushed from the swarms of people moving about in that place.. and you can't freakin' see the band from anywhere in that place unless you want to get crushed on the floor up by the stage.

I don't mind going to see someone like Tom Petty at the Reunion Arena in Dallas or the Starplex, if I can get decent seats.. but give me a band in a small club ANY DAY!!
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #33
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Yeah, those BIG shows can test your patience for sure! The last show I went to in the cotton bowl was U2 with Rage against the machine- Elevation tour, I believe. I remember from the interstate, the screen was so big, it hung out over the sides of the bowl- Gotta love U2 !!!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #34
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I never saw Kansas, but I did see Boston a few years ago, finally, and it was pretty cool. I always wondered how they got that guitar sound, now I know its because they have, what 3 or 4 guitarists?? They also had a Giant pipe organ that took up the whole back of the stage- It sounded awesome!
Boston didn't make their sound because of multiple guitars. They did like PINK FLOYD and tweeked their sound through electronics. They used a bunch of tube amps and some how palyed with it to get that classic Boston fuzz sound that no one has been able to replicate.

The pipe organ had something to do with their guitar sound. I think that is a trade secret.

I posted on the XM thread about no more killer guitar bands any more, this is certainly one of them.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #35
vixweb
Advanced Member

What do you mean "no more killer guitar bands"? What about bands like BlackLabelSociety (zakk Wylde) ?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #36
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Pink Floyd

By the way, Those of you that have seen PINK FLOYD, cosider yourself lucky. I have been fortunate enough to see them 3 times, and the last two were the best concerts ever in the history of the world!!!!

I know at least on person on this board will agree.

I did not go see another show for two years after PINK FLOYD because it would have been a let down. After a PINK FLOYD show nothing gets any better.

I like all kinds of music, but they take the cake!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #37
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
What do you mean "no more killer guitar bands"? What about bands like BlackLabelSociety (zakk Wylde) ?
Never heard of zakk until a few weeks ago when my boy picked his first electric guitar and it was the epiphone les paul bullseye zakk special. learn something new every day.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #38
vixweb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
By the way, Those of you that have seen PINK FLOYD, cosider yourself lucky. I have been fortunate enough to see them 3 times, and the last two were the best concerts ever in the history of the world!!!!

I know at least on person on this board will agree.

I did not go see another show for two years after PINK FLOYD because it would have been a let down. After a PINK FLOYD show nothing gets any better.

I like all kinds of music, but they take the cake!
I will agree on that! I've seen just about everyone live, its a hobby of mine, and Floyd takes the cake- hands down. The DIVISION BELL tour (Texas Stadium) was the best show I've ever seen!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #39
vixweb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Never heard of zakk until a few weeks ago when my boy picked his first electric guitar and it was the epiphone les paul bullseye zakk special. learn something new every day.
Wow- Zakk has been playing with OZZY for 15+ years, BLS is his solo project, and very good! Your kid has good taste in instruments, thats a VERY nice guitar!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #40
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Pink Floyd.. I missed that boat apparently. nothing personal. They do some good guitar work no doubt. I remember back in Junior high.. everyone else was singing Another Brick in the Wall.. I was listening to the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers, and several other bands that no one else cared to listen to
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #41
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
I never saw Kansas, but I did see Boston a few years ago, finally, and it was pretty cool. I always wondered how they got that guitar sound
If I recall, one of the guitarists (Tom Scholz) created a device which I think he sold commercially. Tom Scholz is a rock musician, songwriter, guitarist, inventor, and electronics engineer....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #42
vixweb
Advanced Member

I have to admit: I didn't know much about PinkFloyd until I saw them live. I had always heard about their "show" being incredible, so some friends and I went and I was mesmerized. I am now a HUGE fan for life!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #43
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will agree on that! I've seen just about everyone live, its a hobby of mine, and Floyd takes the cake- hands down. The DIVISION BELL tour (Texas Stadium) was the best show I've ever seen!
That is the show I was talking about. Nothing better.

Dire Straights is the only other show I would really like to see.

Zakk is an awesome guitarist. When he went from OZZY to palying a solo accoustic jam I was impressed.

I'm not a huge Metalica fan, but they have some killer guitar licks.
Lyndsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac is another kick ass player.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #44
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah, those BIG shows can test your patience for sure! The last show I went to in the cotton bowl was U2 with Rage against the machine- Elevation tour, I believe. I remember from the interstate, the screen was so big, it hung out over the sides of the bowl- Gotta love U2 !!!
I saw Bruce Springsteen at the Cotton Bowl in 1985 and was truly "bowled over" pun intended by it's massive size. We were down on the field about midway back. We stood in folding chairs the entire 3 and 1/2 hours! It's a wonder I didn't break my neck! I like the smaller arenas 12-14000s compared to those 60 thousand plus places. That's too big!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #45
vixweb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
That is the show I was talking about. Nothing better.

Dire Straights is the only other show I would really like to see.

Zakk is an awesome guitarist. When he went from OZZY to palying a solo accoustic jam I was impressed.

I'm not a huge Metalica fan, but they have some killer guitar licks.
Lyndsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac is another kick ass player.
Check out Zakk on his "Black Label Society: European invasion" DVD....what a great show- I ripped it to MP3 !!