Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Technology

Notices

Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Domain Name For Kids - A New Trend

Besides leaving the hospital with a birth certificate and a clean bill of health, baby Mila Belle Howells got something she won't likely use herself for several years: her very own Internet domain name.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I'm going to be a devil for saying this, but it is getting harder and harder to buy decent domain names with people hoarding them like this.

Besides, .com domains are suppose to be for commercial entities, which is what "com" means. There are many other top level domains for this kind of thing (.net, .org, etc.). We should make a request of the domain registrars to make .fam domains available for individuals and families to use for these reasons.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I bought my last name + the letter s.com for my family (i.e. if my last name was smith I would have had smiths.com) in 1996 and since then we've had a family photo web site at www.smiths.com and all had @smiths.com email addresses.

...until 2 weeks ago when a company called me and offered me $30,000 for the name.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Whoa that's insane! Congratulations on the windfall!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Thanks. It was a good week.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
I bought my last name + the letter s.com for my family (i.e. if my last name was smith I would have had smiths.com) in 1996 and since then we've had a family photo web site at www.smiths.com and all had @smiths.com email addresses.

...until 2 weeks ago when a company called me and offered me $30,000 for the name.
I had my last name dot com for a few years back in the 90's and let it expire and Sony Records immediately grabbed it. Very dumb move on my part.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Aximilli

Rep Power: 0 Aximilli will become famous soon enough Aximilli will become famous soon enough
Interesting point there AnimeSpirit, however, IMO .com domains are still "the ****", the cream of the cream. I had a .in site once and whenever I used to tell people my site's name, they used to go to my site's name .com & not .in.
Aximilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aximilli View Post
Interesting point there AnimeSpirit, however, IMO .com domains are still "the ****", the cream of the cream. I had a .in site once and whenever I used to tell people my site's name, they used to go to my site's name .com & not .in.
If more people used other top level domains, then people would get more accustomed to hearing them and therefore less likely to mistake them.