Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Culture & Community

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Jvanv

Rep Power: 0 Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Jvanv
Cuban Missle Crisis - Barksdale

I vaguely remember bombers being scrambled and the base being shut down, does anyone else have any recollections of what was going on out there (or anywhere else in the city for that matter)?

And while we're at it - Where were you when JFK was assassinated?
Jvanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 295 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvanv View Post
I vaguely remember bombers being scrambled and the base being shut down, does anyone else have any recollections of what was going on out there (or anywhere else in the city for that matter)?
I recall "sonic booms" all the time in Shreveport. Also civil warning sirens would go off every Saturday at noon. They were up on poles at schools. The one closest one to my house was at Broadmoor Junor High. It used to drive all dogs nuts! Especially hounds. First the sirens, then the hounds...Finally the sirens would stop but the dogs just keep on going. I forget when they stopped all that. Must have been in the mid or late 70's

Quote:
I was 4 years old when JFK was shot and I mean to tell you, it sucked for a 4 year old. No cartoons, no tv shows, no nothing for 3 or 4 days. Finally some programming resumed... I had little understanding of what was going on. I just knew everyone was sad...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
decolady

Rep Power: 0 decolady will become famous soon enough decolady will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We lived in Tallulah then and I was sitting in my 4th grade classroom. The intercom came on and the principal made an announcement that the president had been shot. Lots of kids went home from school early.

My aunt had taken my younger brother and sister to Dallas to see the motorcade so they were on the scene. They were both really young and don't really remember what happened.
decolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Jvanv

Rep Power: 0 Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about
It's been a while

Well this has sort of gotten put on the back burner but I still think it is worth while. I will get back to it at some point.

Does anyone remember Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs playing in the Shreve-City parking lot?

Or, Parker Turner and the White Leopard Kung Fu School? Or Johnny Lee the main instructor? I believe they put on some sort of Kung Fu Demonstration at the civic center, Kung Fu masters from around the world sort of thing.

Murrells restaurant? Dobbs House on Line Ave? Robert Riser, Sherman Gorton?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Jvanv

I Really am Working On This

Hello everyone. This has certainly been a long and drawn out process, but after many hours pouring over info on the internet and several trips to gather information from old timers I'm finally starting to write what I hope will be the companion book to the documentary.

Please if you have any stories about the Bossier Strip I would really love to hear them. If you know anyone that used to work on the strip I would really love to talk with them.

There is virtually nothing online or in print about the Bossier Strip or what it used to be. I hope that this work may serve to inform and entertain future generations about the rich musical heritage that is theirs.

If you would like to speak to me I can be contacted at 469-441-8771

Thanks again for all the input.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Van Voorhees
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Jvanv

Those Followig This Thread

I am making progress on the book portion of this project. The Skyway Club was a club on the Bossier Strip between 1936 and 1966. It was host to some of the biggest names in country music in it's day. Hank Williams played there, Elvis Presley, Webb Pierce, Slim Whitman, Faron Young, Johnny Horton, and many others got their start as professional musicians there. There was even a radio broadcast from the club that went out over KWKH the same station that broadcast the Louisiana Hayride.

I am looking for stories about the SKYWAY CLUB, or anyone that ever visited the Skyway Club. No detail is too small to be worth mentioning. If you know anything or know anyone that knows anything about the club, the people who patronized the club, performers who played the club or any legends, fables, myths about the club I would like to hear them.

Please contact me at 469-441-8771 or by email at jdvanvoorhees@aim.com

Thanks to everyone who has commented.