Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Computer Talk & Tech

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Wide screen monitor is great

I recently bought a 1680x1050 monitor and I'm in heaven with the extra "real estate". This is my first DVI monitor too. I like it, but when my screen saver wakes up, I get the "DVI" message on top of windows for the longest time until it goes away. I have learned that if I hit the menu button on the monitor twice it will go away. I wish I didn't have to do that. I'm thinking about disabling the screen saver all together so that the signal will never go way to begin with. It's when the signal comes back that the "DVI" square appears for about 60 seconds or longer.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
I have the samething with mine but it doesn't bother me. I just hit the enter key/space bar whatever and the screen comes back. I got a wide screen a few months ago and I love it. My fiance has a mac wide screen not sure if he has dvi or not I have a pc.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
I have the samething with mine but it doesn't bother me. I just hit the enter key/space bar whatever and the screen comes back. I got a wide screen a few months ago and I love it. My fiance has a mac wide screen not sure if he has dvi or not I have a pc.
Hi Scarlett, the extra space sure does come in handy for buddy lists or whatever. Yea, when I hit the enter key/space bar, the screen comes back but with "DVI" printed in the middle of it for a minute or two! It's a nusaince since it's the monitor doing this right on top of Windows. I guess I chose the wrong brand of monitor. It's a Gateway. I see that Viewsonic and others make them and the prices just keep coming down.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Mine is a viewsonic and it says no signal in the center of my screen and doesn't take that long to come back it's only seconds.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Mine is a viewsonic and it says no signal in the center of my screen and doesn't take that long to come back it's only seconds.
Ahhh, I wish mine did that. I am thinking of buying a viewsonic for home so this is good to know.

I called up Gateway and told them of the problem, but they were not much help. They wanted me to install their software and I'm thinking, software for a monitor? Anyway I tried to install it and it hung my computer... LOL
Old 09-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Smile A yea, hi.

yea, I don't have that problem. that must be a drag
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Quote:
I only do Apple and I have a dvi port on my 17" MacBookPro, but I don't see one on my iMac G5 (the one before they added the built-in camera
Luckily, the MBPro has the camera which is a blast to play with along with Photobooth. But what does dvi stand for? I am trying to learn to connect my computer to the TV so I can show my students things and I got a dvi connector which plugs into the computer, then another cord plugs into that and into the RCA port on the TV. The picture is so-so. I've been told to use S-video instead. Do all of the newer TVs come with S-video? The one I have at work doesn't have it. But I am supposed to be getting a new one. I have a bit of a wire phobia, LOL! I feel so dumb about this stuff. Thank God for Apple which at least is very user-friendly and I don't have to worry about viruses or spyware or a lot of freezing and crashing. It is SO elegant. And the Mac and PC guys commercials are so true. I've used both platforms and Apple is definitely a lot more fun!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadenza
I only do Apple and I have a dvi port on my 17" MacBookPro, but I don't see one on my iMac G5 (the one before they added the built-in camera
Luckily, the MBPro has the camera which is a blast to play with along with Photobooth. But what does dvi stand for? I am trying to learn to connect my computer to the TV so I can show my students things and I got a dvi connector which plugs into the computer, then another cord plugs into that and into the RCA port on the TV. The picture is so-so. I've been told to use S-video instead. Do all of the newer TVs come with S-video? The one I have at work doesn't have it. But I am supposed to be getting a new one. I have a bit of a wire phobia, LOL! I feel so dumb about this stuff. Thank God for Apple which at least is very user-friendly and I don't have to worry about viruses or spyware or a lot of freezing and crashing. It is SO elegant. And the Mac and PC guys commercials are so true. I've used both platforms and Apple is definitely a lot more fun!
Cadenza, here is a brief low down on video ports: (from worst to best)

TV's:
Composite Video - RCA jack - 2 conductors - worst choice
S-Video - mini-din jack - 5 conductors - separates color signals on same cable
Component video - RCA or BNC jacks - Separate cables for each color signal

Computers:
SVGA – D connector – the old style common monitor connector (analog)
Mac Video – various proprietary connectors but basically the same (analog)

Now comes the convergence of TV’s and Computer Interfacing:
DVI - Digital Video Interface – Video only used by computers and TV’s
HDMI – Same as DVI plus more signals for things like audio and remote control. Used mainly on new TV’s.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Smile Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Cadenza, here is a brief low down on video ports: (from worst to best)

TV's:
Composite Video - RCA jack - 2 conductors - worst choice
S-Video - mini-din jack - 5 conductors - separates color signals on same cable
Component video - RCA or BNC jacks - Separate cables for each color signal

Computers:
SVGA – D connector – the old style common monitor connector (analog)
Mac Video – various proprietary connectors but basically the same (analog)

Now comes the convergence of TV’s and Computer Interfacing:
DVI - Digital Video Interface – Video only used by computers and TV’s
HDMI – Same as DVI plus more signals for things like audio and remote control. Used mainly on new TV’s.
What cable is used with HDMI? Does the computer have to have something different from DVI to use that?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
DVI and HDMI

DVI and HDMI are electrically identical, so adapter cables are easy and cheap to make. An HDMI cable is nothing more than a digital DVI cable with a differently-shaped connector and extra pins for audio.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

yeah what joepole said. I just buy the DVI or HDMI cable at Best Buy or Circuit City, but you can save by ordering online. The cables and adapters cost more than they should. (as much as my DVI graphics card, LOL)
Old 10-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Retail cables

It you buy cables at a retail store you are a sucker. Doubly so if you buy ones with the word "Monster" anywhere on them.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Sixxty second delay to long to wait

I don't know how old your are but there was a day not that long ago that
a 286 XT with a 10 meg hard drive was a real good thing. High speed has
made us into spoiled children. Rhertz must be a very young person but I
can tell you are on the cutting edge of computer age. My children have long
passed me on computers with there young minds and the fact they where
raised with a key board in there hand has been good for there education
and mine too.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
Mudbug

Rep Power: 0 Mudbug is on a distinguished road Mudbug is on a distinguished road
welcome to the widescreen world.

I've got a pair of 20" widescreen Dell 2005fpw displays on my PowerMac and I won't give them up for anything... except maybe two 30" displays. Once you go dual and get used to it, nothing less will do. Regardless, I'm sure you'll find that the extra screen space is really handy, and almost necessary at times. You'll wonder how you lived without it before.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #15
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
I'm sure you'll find that the extra screen space is really handy, and almost necessary at times. You'll wonder how you lived without it before.
LOL like I used to get by without a hard drive back in the day or how I used to get by without m TIVO.

"Back when I was a kid, we didn't need no stinkin' hard drive.. and we liked it !"
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote