Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Nishiki Bayou Maples

Notices

Old 06-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Cool site dude

Cool site dude. Nice pics in the photo gallery.
I recently received a Japanese Maple. Wondering if you could tell me more specifically what kind it is. I'm including an attatchment of this image, for you to view. on a side note. If you received an email regarding a previous post I made.. I DELETED IT from this forum.. (sbl_admin: was testing some things)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2627.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	3  

Name:	DSC_2727.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	5  

Last edited by kansast; 06-24-2006 at 12:17 PM.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
kansast,

Your maple is a young "Red Filigree" which is about 2 years old. Red Filigree is difficult to propogate and it is also a slow grower, therefore it is rather rare and desired by collectors. The first picture is a springtime picture where the foliage is first emerging. The second photo is after the leaves have emerged. The red color should hold throughout the summer and it will drop it's leaves in late fall. Despite the fact that the leaves don't seem to have much surface area, this maple still likes a bit of shade in the afternoon to prevent scorching of the leaf tips. But it does need a few hours of direct sun each morning.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodood
kansast,

Your maple is a young "Red Filigree" which is about 2 years old. Red Filigree is difficult to propogate and it is also a slow grower, therefore it is rather rare and desired by collectors. The first picture is a springtime picture where the foliage is first emerging. The second photo is after the leaves have emerged. The red color should hold throughout the summer and it will drop it's leaves in late fall. Despite the fact that the leaves don't seem to have much surface area, this maple still likes a bit of shade in the afternoon to prevent scorching of the leaf tips. But it does need a few hours of direct sun each morning.

Thanks for the reply GeoDOOD! I think I got it positioned just right for morning sun.. and in the shade come afternoon and evening. so far so goo.

Kansast
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Passionate about maples

I loved viewing your pics of so many cultivars of Japanese maples and marveling at your in-depth knowledge of them. I have been trying to get good pics of the seeds? blossoms? on my (probably) Bloodgood. They look like little butterflies!They are difficult to photograph because it is hard to get something that small to be in focus even with the macro on my idiot camera. I was so afraid my maple might die after I lost the huge pecan under whose canopy it was sheltered for it's first decade or so. It has survived, but it does get the brown on the leaves in summer. My best friend said she is going to give me the maple out of her yard this fall. I think it is probably also a Bloodgood varietal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Japanese maple seeds?.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	7