Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Culture & Community

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you eat black eyed peas or cabbage today?
Yes I ate black eyed peas 1 12.50%
Yes I ate some cabbage 1 12.50%
Yes I ate both 4 50.00%
No, I age neither 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. This poll is closed

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Did you eat black eyed peas and cabbage today?

Did you eat black eyed peas and cabbage today? The peas are for "good luck" and the cabbage is for "money".... I'm eating both!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Nope we did not. I did make a delicous crock pot full of potato soup instead though!I do love traditions but this particular one we don't observe. No one here likes cabbage and we just forgot about getting black eyed peas.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Nope we did not. I did make a delicous crock pot full of potato soup instead though!I do love traditions but this particular one we don't observe. No one here likes cabbage and we just forgot about getting black eyed peas.
Well I'll eat some for ya! Fortunately I found some pepper sauce in the back of the fridge. It wasn't homemade, it was trappy's but better than nothing on peas and cabbage.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
We had turnip greens w/turnips with our cabbage and blackeyepeas. Hopefully, we will be blessed with lots of money.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
We did. With some cornbread.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
We had our black-eyed peas but we had turnip greens instead of cabbage. We always heard anything green is for money. We also had baked chicken, rice & gravy mac&cheese, and cornbread.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
We had our black-eyed peas but we had turnip greens instead of cabbage. We always heard anything green is for money. We also had baked chicken, rice & gravy mac&cheese, and cornbread.
I had baked chicken as well. But I forgot the cornbread. How could I forget the cornbread!! It hit me as I sat down....

The chicken was tough anyway... But my cabbage and peas kicked buttocks... Here is my approximate recipe... (we don't measure well down in the south)

Rhertz's New Years Cabbage

1 Cabbage
1 ham hock or ham shank or whatever pig parts you got. (bacon? Hambone?)
1 can chicken broth
2 cups water
1 chicken boullion cube
ground pepper
some garlic powder

Put it all in a pot, cover it, and simmer for a really long time.........take a nap if you need it....

After serving, put a few drops (or more) of "peppa sauce"(tm).... LOL it was good.. My recipe for black eyed peas is about the same except for peas instead of cabbage. Lucky me that two ham hocks come in a tub....
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Right-o, them ham hock is crucial to anything from the cabbage and BEPs you mention rheartz, to greens and red beans n' rice.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote