Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Top 10 Reasons to Live in Shreveport-Bossier

SBLive! Editor Allen Marsalis offers ten reasons why Shreveport and Bossier City are great places to live
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
O.k. there Mr. Marsalis. I can just about agree with everything you've said in this article.. except for the CLIMATE !!

the way I see it, 7 months of SUMMER, one month of spring, one month of fall, and 3 months of I don't know what.. every now and again it gets cold and it rains and it gets windy, and that's about it.

Granted I don't want 11ft+ of snow on my doorstep either.

And those "dog days of summer" you speak of, when it isn't fit for a dog or person to step outside. The air so hot you can't breath. UGHH.

I will agree on the "Events", lots of good ones downtown through out the year.
The Traffic, you betcha, I'll take Shreveport Traffic over Dallas traffic ANYDAY. just stay off of Youree Drive and Airline drive during peak hours

personally I also have some doubts about the quality of some of our public schools. they way they all "Teach the TEST" these days. I think the kids are missing out because of that.

My only regret is we don't see enough major acts come through Shreveport, Maybe the occasional concert comes through town, but for most of that, I find I have to travel points westward or down to New Orleans for that. I suppose it's the price we pay for being "just right" as opposed to too big.

But were coming on on that time of the year when the weather will be JUST right.. just in time for some Mudbugs, and maybe some home made beer, and the azaleas will be in bloom. But enjoy it while you can, because the week after that it'll be SUMMER !!!

Great read.

Thanks

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
The Traffic, you betcha, I'll take Shreveport Traffic over Dallas traffic ANYDAY. just stay off of Youree Drive and Airline drive during peak hours
You're not joking there, especially while Youree is under construction and Airline has always been too busy. You'd think more people would use Benton Rd to avoid Airline.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Lions Welp

Rep Power: 0 Lions Welp has a spectacular aura about Lions Welp has a spectacular aura about Lions Welp has a spectacular aura about
Reason #10 we are not in New Orleans

After seeing what all the people have been thru in New Orleans and other areas along the coast I am just glad I live here. Hi everybody I am new here and with some time I will try to post some as long as my boss does not catch me doing this at work She is a nice lady just likes production all the time. I will try this weekend to read a few of the post that are up on the board.
Lions Welp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions Welp
After seeing what all the people have been thru in New Orleans and other areas along the coast I am just glad I live here. Hi everybody I am new here and with some time I will try to post some as long as my boss does not catch me doing this at work She is a nice lady just likes production all the time. I will try this weekend to read a few of the post that are up on the board.
Welcome to SBLive! Lions Welp, You got that right, we don't have to worry about those Hurricanes.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
we don't have to worry about those Hurricanes.

This town has more to offer all the time great places to eat and good concerts and a lot more. I will say we are safe from hurricanes but the aftermath is people moving to Shreveport and not all of them are good people.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Allen Marsalis
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Allen Marsalis is just really nice Allen Marsalis is just really nice Allen Marsalis is just really nice Allen Marsalis is just really nice
LateNight,

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the article as much as I did writing it. I won’t deny that the “dog days of summer” can be pretty brutal in our area, almost like a sauna steam bath at times! There are other areas in the country that are hotter such as Arizona or New Mexico, but their humidity is lower which cancels out some of that heat as far as the “real feel” or other heat index is concerned. A little wind helps too.

I am not a meteorologist, but if I look at a US map I see that these less humid areas have land (Mexico) to their South rather than water (the Gulf) which brings in the humidity to our region. Are other Gulf States like Mississippi, Alabama, or Florida any less prone to humidity than Louisiana?

The next thing I see on the map is that these Gulf States are all “green” while the drier states further west are “brown” for lack of vegetation. I hear that a more desert like environment can be great for those suffering from allergies due to molds, pollen, etc. But I would rather endure a sniffle or the heat in exchange for living in a lush “semi-tropical” environment. When traveling out west, it just seems a little too desolate and barren for my tastes. But to each his own.

Now if you are talking about living above the Mason-Dixon Line, well, that is just plain wrong! LOL, just joking. Take care….
Allen Marsalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Bravo Morpheus Marsalis we meet our leader at last

So your the ONE ! Enjoyed reading your writing Mr. Marsalis. I hope you do more in the future so I can have something to read instead of the op ed at the Times. You are much younger than I thought you would be if that is you in your avatar. I will be looking for more of your journalistic column in the future
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
This town has more to offer all the time great places to eat and good concerts and a lot more. I will say we are safe from hurricanes but the aftermath is people moving to Shreveport and not all of them are good people.
Isaac
I can definitely agree to that! I was working for Dominos as a delivery driver (fun job -_-;; ) when Katrina hit Louisiana. That was when a lot of people started moving here. I was working one night and some guy from TX stopped me as I was about to leave to go on a delivery. He said, "Hey! I'm just...uh...looking for some pot." I was quite taken aback that this guy would think I would know where he would find that! I was just being a smart*** and replied, "I don't know about that, but I can get you some oregano."

I'm a prior serviceman, so I'm accustomed to maintaining a fairly neat image. I don't dress like a hood or gangster. I'm usually clean-shaven in public. I typically wear jeans and a polo shirt. Is this how the pot pushers are dressing?!
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Having lived in South La, then Shreveport/Bossier and now S. Florida let me say I made more friends in Shreveport/Bossier in my 10 years there. I personally can't stand the public school system, the entire la system is always at the bottom and I have to agree. I never had the experience of a private school nor did my children but I feel you would get a better education if you went to a private school. As for traffic let me tell everyone, YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT NOT EVEN WITH DALLAS TILL YOU LIVED IN S. FLORIDA! When I lived in Bossier I lived 8 miles from my work and it took me 15 minutes to get there and that's going through the parking garage and in my desk. Here?????????????????????? It takes me to go 10 miles 30 minutes and I am not kidding. We have the worse traffic here and also the worse rage i have ever seen. I have had a few incidents already w/ the new yorkers.

As for diverse I totally agree its very diverse most are nice and most get along. It really depends where you live.

My favorite before I moved was the boardwalk it's very simliar to what I have here and I loved it. Very nice and clean.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #11
whoisthat

Rep Power: 0 whoisthat will become famous soon enough whoisthat will become famous soon enough
Very Nice Top Ten

Very nice post Allen.

scary avatar, though...
whoisthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
Allen Marsalis
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Allen Marsalis is just really nice Allen Marsalis is just really nice Allen Marsalis is just really nice Allen Marsalis is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthat
Very nice post Allen.

scary avatar, though...

Thank you whois! I will get to work on a new avatar soon as I finish up a few more webpages!
Allen Marsalis is offline   Reply With Quote