Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Health

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Do You Think Medical Marijuana Should Be Legalized?

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that a California woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive is not immune from federal prosecution on drug charges.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I strongly disagree with drugs of this kind, with the rare exception of medical marijuana. I always thought med marijuana was already legal so long as a doctor approves it.

If you observe the root of the drug issue, there is nothing morally wrong about using a drug. It is illegal because people misuse them and constant use can cause severe health decline and eventually death. In cases where the individual's health is already declining and marijuana helps to ease the pain, I don't see any reason why she can't use it unless she begins to abuse it.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
There is absolutely no legitimate or sensible reason for marijuana to be illegal for any use. All prohibition does is make it expensive, make it so that criminals can profit from it, and make it easier for minors to acquire.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Old Soul

Rep Power: 0 Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice
I wish it was legal. I miss it. Set it aside once and forever when I decided to start a family, didn't want to teach children to be disrespectful of the law. Personaly, I find alcohol to be more damaging. But alcohol we can tax.
Old Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Talking Sounds like a poll is in order here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul
I wish it was legal. I miss it. Set it aside once and forever when I decided to start a family, didn't want to teach children to be disrespectful of the law. Personaly, I find alcohol to be more damaging. But alcohol we can tax.
Hey Old Soul you do not sound that old young lady. For the family and the kids ? Could you just be in the closet ? Gets smoky in there so bring water and plenty to eat Alcohol taxes me the next morning so I get the tax coming and going !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
I don't smoke or drink alcohol of any kind. Personally, I've never seen any reason to get into those kinds of activities.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 235 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I don't smoke or drink alcohol of any kind. Personally, I've never seen any reason to get into those kinds of activities.
I feel the same way!

Yea for you AnimeSpirit! I commend you.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I drink occasionally, but haven't smoked weed since college or shortly after. I'd probably smoke it every once in a while if it were legal, probably instead of drinking.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Talking What is funny about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I drink occasionally, but haven't smoked weed since college or shortly after. I'd probably smoke it every once in a while if it were legal, probably instead of drinking.
Joe you are 31 and "since college or shortly after" was not very long ago so you softened your stance since you last post and well I know just what a worldly guy you are and way a "head" of the curve when it comes to knowing the facts and I do respect your opinion even though we do not agree most the time your post are fun to read.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
How marijuana can be illegal, and a bottle of whiskey isn't.. I'll never understand. Given the number of alcohol related deaths and accidents, and health related issues.

Especially medicinal marijuana. If it can give some relief to someone in need, I say WHY THE HECK NOT ????
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
How marijuana can be illegal, and a bottle of whiskey isn't.. I'll never understand. Given the number of alcohol related deaths and accidents, and health related issues.

Especially medicinal marijuana. If it can give some relief to someone in need, I say WHY THE HECK NOT ????
I'll tell you why! You gotta line the pocket of the nearest 3 bureaucrats first! That's why!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight

I am with you on this one it has always confused me. As someone said once to me, when was the last time someone was stoned and driving and killed someone????????? If they are driving they are heading for BK or Mikey D's and well aware of all their surroundings.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
People will abuse potato chips. Some people will abuse anything, regardless of whether its legal or not. If I want to abuse drugs or whatever, thats my damn business and nobody else's. The government rarely does anything for altruistic reasons, so dont for a second think grass is illegal because the government feels its not good for your health. As the Wiccan motto says: "an it hurt none, do what thou wilt"!
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Being closely tied to an oncologist...

I can tell you this that there is never a reason for a cancer patient or any patient to need an illegal drug to ease their suffering. If a patient is suffering from nausea, there are plenty of perfectly legal drugs available to them to control it. Examples: Anzemet, Zofran, Compazine, etc. If a patient is suffering with pain, there are plenty of pain medicines available to them as well. All capable of keeping the patient comfortable and giving them quality of life as well. There are so many options available to a patient. There is no need to resort to marijuana. This is just an excuse people are using to use the drug. I am sick so I want this drug. But it's just an excuse which is just like a butthole...everybody's got one!

People who are sick such as the terminally ill require a very good physician who knows how to manage these problems such as nausea and pain and give them the correct medicines so that they don't have to suffer.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I can tell you this that there is never a reason for a cancer patient or any patient to need an illegal drug to ease their suffering. If a patient is suffering from nausea, there are plenty of perfectly legal drugs available to them to control it. Examples: Anzemet, Zofran, Compazine, etc. If a patient is suffering with pain, there are plenty of pain medicines available to them as well. All capable of keeping the patient comfortable and giving them quality of life as well. There are so many options available to a patient. There is no need to resort to marijuana. This is just an excuse people are using to use the drug. I am sick so I want this drug. But it's just an excuse which is just like a butthole...everybody's got one!

People who are sick such as the terminally ill require a very good physician who knows how to manage these problems such as nausea and pain and give them the correct medicines so that they don't have to suffer.
Ok, in the first place, why the hell would ANY adult need an excuse to use a drug? Who the hell ever said anybody needed an excuse? In the second place, if I have a debilitating illness, be it terminal or otherwise but MOST ESPECIALLY IF ITS TERMINAL, you can bet your sweet patootie Im gonna goddamn well do whatever the f**k I wanna do as far as using drugs is concerned. What the f**k are they gonna do about it? Arrest me? Incarcerate me? Please! Youre scaring me! Listen, if the day ever comes when I get the news that "its terminal", all bets are off, folks. Old Al is gonna have it his way and you can either like it or lump it! If I'm dying and I wanna snort a 55 gallon drum full of cocaine you can either help me snort it, you can sit your ass down quietly and watch, or we can shoot out...those are your choices, and unless you've got a terminal disease too, thats a shootout you'd damn well better win.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 03-19-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote