Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Friends Of New Orleans

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
American Red Cross

Rep Power: 0 American Red Cross is on a distinguished road American Red Cross is on a distinguished road
Serve with the American Red Cross!

American Red Cross Northwest Louisiana Chapter, located in Shreveport, is currently searching for volunteers! The Red Cross is setting new initiatives for volunteering due to the tremendous effects of Katrina and Rita on our local community, state, and country. The Northwest Louisiana Chapter works in ten parishes and with the rest of the state of Louisiana, as well as at the national level. Volunteers are needed locally for office work, health fairs, flu clinics, etc. Also necessary is knowing we have trained and prepared members of our community to serve with the Red Cross when disasters strike. The Red Cross trains volunteers in CPR and First Aid, Disaster Respose, Shelter Operations, and many other things. We can only hope that there is not another disaster to strike our state and country as intensely as Katrina and Rita did, but we must prepare for the possibilities! If you have any interest in serving your community, please consider volunteering with the American Red Cross! Thank you!

Jesse Mitchell
Volunteer Recruitment Manager
American Red Cross
Northwest Louisiana Chapter
4221 Linwood Ave.
Shreveport, LA 71108
(318) 865-9545
jessekmitchell@yahoo.com
American Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Thumbs up Thanks!

I'm glad you found your way to my little corner and posted this. I hope you get some volunteers out of it. I can't help that way because I have a disabled kid, but I did choose Red Cross for my Katrina donation.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Hattie Thomas

Rep Power: 0 Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hattie Thomas
American Red Cross

Many of you may know that our local red cross organization puts on a public event every three or four months at different locations. You pay $30 and they will run 30+lab tests on your blood and mail you results to your tests within a week or two.
I participated this year for the very first time as did over 500 people on Nov 4 at Broadmoore Baptist Church. After much anticipation on my part I noticed that my results had not came in the mail as promised.
After contacting the local red cross I discovered that they had in fact "lost" my blood. I commented how funny that was since they didnt "lose" my $30 check cause it had already been processed.Despite my sense of humour regarding the matter, I was still a little concerned about the where abouts of my blood, and wondered if my lab tech carelessly dropped it on the floor, or perhaps he was planing to use it in some wierd vampire cocktail.
Hattie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
American Red Cross

You folks should check out the Red Cross before you send your money. I know
in the day they have done some good things but there pockets get filled and they do not disclose the total of how the money is spent. I think RED cross is a good name. There are a lot of good causes out there Life Share Blood is a good start and many others . All I am saying is google it and check it out it is so easy to do.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
American Red Cross

Rep Power: 0 American Red Cross is on a distinguished road American Red Cross is on a distinguished road
Money issues

If you are interested in how much our "pockets get filled" feel free to visit our website at www.louisianaredcross.org to read our annual report which lists all of our financial information for the last year.
American Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
OK I looked at your web site ?

Your site tells me that you spend a bunch of money on razing money and that the top number and the bottom number are vastly different ???

Your site said:

For the Year Ending June 30, 2006

ENDING NET ASSETS $3,153,135

Statement of Activities

TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS,
REVENUES AND GAINS $1,538,550

Expenses and Losses
Program Services
Armed Forces Emergency Services $81,971
Disaster Services $240,408
Blood Services $0
Tissue Services $0
Health Services $288,853
Community Services $48,128
International Services $16,200
Total Program Services $675,560

Membership and Fund Raising $50,057
Management and General $41,047

TOTAL EXPENSES AND LOSSES $766,664

NORTHWEST LOUISIANA CHAPTER AMERICAN RED CROSS
2005 - 2006 BOARD OF DIRECTORS

This is a very general ledger and does not give names of people or organizations that received the money ? With that much in donations you would think that they could do a better spread sheet !
Isaac
Old 10-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I sure some of you have viewed the email going around about the Jena 6 and how the Red Cross went down there and set up tents and gave out water to the protesters. I do think the Red Cross has a political agenda and before you give you should check them out and find out just where it is you money is going. I will not donate to them so I choose Shriners which is a very good cause.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Hey Isaac, Check out the Salvation Armys' Ledger it's completely different. This group means business when it comes to helping folks.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Hey Isaac, Check out the Salvation Armys' Ledger it's completely different. This group means business when it comes to helping folks.
I could not agree more. Very good post. The Salvation Army helps people that are down on there luck and has them ringing bells for there money. They use their money for the people.
I will add that I go to Life Share and give blood about four times a year. It is a very good cause along with Shriners Hospital that I support with donations.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Funny that the Red Cross did not come back with a reply and yes just what in the heck were they doing in Jena?????????? I don't recall a natural disaster being declared down there. Those fools CHOSE to be there. If they weren't prepared, so be it...suffer the consequences.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Funny that the Red Cross did not come back with a reply and yes just what in the heck were they doing in Jena??????????

Maybe because it's so obvious that it doesn't require a response.

>I don't recall a natural disaster being declared down there.

A state of emergency was declared by local/parish law enforcement, and the State of Louisiana asked the Red Cross to provide first aid and humanitarian relief so that medical emergencies (for which the town was completely unprepared) would be less likely.

>Those fools CHOSE to be there. If they weren't prepared, so be it...suffer the consequences.

"They weren't prepared, let them suffer" is a direct violation of the charter/mission of the American Red Cross. The whole point of that organization is to help people that are in situations where help is not readily available. How is this any different than showing up after Katrina? Those people chose to be there, too.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
>Funny that the Red Cross did not come back with a reply and yes just what in the heck were they doing in Jena??????????

Maybe because it's so obvious that it doesn't require a response.

>I don't recall a natural disaster being declared down there.

A state of emergency was declared by local/parish law enforcement, and the State of Louisiana asked the Red Cross to provide first aid and humanitarian relief so that medical emergencies (for which the town was completely unprepared) would be less likely.

>Those fools CHOSE to be there. If they weren't prepared, so be it...suffer the consequences.

"They weren't prepared, let them suffer" is a direct violation of the charter/mission of the American Red Cross. The whole point of that organization is to help people that are in situations where help is not readily available. How is this any different than showing up after Katrina? Those people chose to be there, too.
Those people did not choose to have a hurricane come through or the levy break down, however these jobless protesters DID choose to get on a bus and create a situation that required responsible people to stop what they were doing and take care of these idiots.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Those people did not choose to have a hurricane come through or the levy break down

No, they chose to be where they knew that was likely, same as the Jena protesters chose to be where they knew it was likely that local resources would be inadequate.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
So Joe tell us, do you think Jena was a place the Red Cross resources should have been spent?