Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
20 Years Later, Baby Jessica a Wife, Mother and Soon-to-Be Millionaire

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302523,00.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_61_baby_jessica.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1626

Quote:
The 18-month old girl pulled from a backyard well two decades ago is now a young wife and mother — one waiting to collect donations given to her during her ordeal that are expected to total $1 million or more.
The anniversary of Jessica McClure's rescue passed Tuesday like almost every other day in the 21-year-old's life, with no public comment from her about the event that once captivated viewers around the world.
The young wife and mother is living quietly in this West Texas oil patch city, the same one where she fell into the backyard well.
Many of the sympathetic strangers who remained glued to television coverage until Jessica was freed from 22 feet below the ground showered her family with teddy bears, homemade gifts, cards and cash. It will remain in a trust fund until she turns 25.
Jessica has no memory of the ordeal, the loss of part of one foot, and the 15 operations that followed the 2 1/2 days she spent wedged all alone in the well, singing about Winnie the Pooh.
Chip McClure said that he and Jessica's mother allowed their daughter to decide whether to talk to the media once she got old enough. Jessica has spoken publicly only twice since 1987.
In June, Jessica told NBC that the ordeal "couldn't cage me then, why should it cage me now?"
In 2002, she told Ladies Home Journal that talk of her "incident" bored her and referred to the scars she bore
In 1995, paramedic and rescuer Robert O'Donnell, who wriggled into the passageway and slathered a frightened Jessica in petroleum jelly before sliding her out into the bright television lights, shot and killed himself at his parents' ranch outside Midland.
His brother, Rick, has said O'Donnell's life "fell apart" because of the stress of the rescue, the attention it created and the anticlimactic return to everyday life.
In 2004, William Andrew Glasscock Jr., a former Midland police officer who helped in the rescue, was sentenced to 15 years in federal prison on charges of sexual exploitation of a child and improper storage of explosives. A year later, he was sentenced to 20 years on two state charges of sexual assault.
I remember this story and like others were glued to the tv to see them pull that baby out alive. I wondered whatever happened to her. I'm glad to know she is doing good.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I read another article that said she does not like to talk about what happened and in 20 years she has only given 2 interviews.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I guess seeing as she doesn't remember any of it maybe she chooses not to capitalize on it. I'm glad she will be getting the money in a few years to help support she and her family.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
In 1995, paramedic and rescuer Robert O'Donnell, who wriggled into the passageway and slathered a frightened Jessica in petroleum jelly before sliding her out into the bright television lights, shot and killed himself at his parents' ranch outside Midland.
His brother, Rick, has said O'Donnell's life "fell apart" because of the stress of the rescue, the attention it created
I really thought this was sad. The poor guy done something good and could not handle it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Why did people give her money because she fell into a well?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Why did people give her money because she fell into a well?
Cause they can
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
My kid fell down last weekend and skinned up one of her shins really badly. Should I post a PayPal donation link?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
My kid fell down last weekend and skinned up one of her shins really badly. Should I post a PayPal donation link?
Do you think your child falling down on the ground is the same as falling in a hole and being stuck for 2 1/2 days without food and water?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Absolutely! Then add a bunch of google ads.. Imagine the marketing opportunies for well drillers, excavators, first aid kits, even vaseline! Get with the Media 2.0 economic development program!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Yes you should Joe. I bet someone would send you money. Cause they can.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Also she probably didn't just fall , you probably pushed her, you brute.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

The Jessica-inspired "Radio Bart" episode was the only time Shreveport has been mentioned on "The Simpsons."