Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Computers & Internet

Notices

Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Hello out there.........

No computer tips? freebie help? We are all on the internet here let's get this thread moving

I have a pc and a mac laptop love both

Let's hear what you have and how long you have been on the internet.

I have been on the net since 1995. I have a story with that so if anyone wants to hear it lets post to this.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I stumbled online using AOL and Apple's "e-World" back in the day, before the "WEB" took off.. Then I remember either it was AOL or e-World that allowed you to leave there site and venture onto the "Web". wasn't shortly after that, I got an account with a local Internet provider. Even set up our office so 5 computers could share the modem connection. This was like in '94 or '95 ??

All those crazy websites, with like the gray backgrounds, and just really long pages.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
I'm really old (in PC years). My first online experience was with "The Source" and later on "Compuserve". I had a 300 baud (that's 0.3k) modem when using The Source and upgraded to a 1200 baud (that's 1.2k) modem for Compuserve.

My first internet modem was 14.4K and it was so fast.. (and expensive) But once ShreveNet offered 56k I had to have one. Now I use DSL.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
CPUtech

Rep Power: 0 CPUtech is on a distinguished road CPUtech is on a distinguished road
Computer Tips & Freebie Help

I would be happy to offer freebie tips and computer help for anyone interested or in need...

Look for a forum JUST for that topic I'll be opening soon!
320 E. Texas St.
Bossier City. LA.
CPUtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
I stumbled online using AOL and Apple's "e-World" back in the day, before the "WEB" took off.. Then I remember either it was AOL or e-World that allowed you to leave there site and venture onto the "Web". wasn't shortly after that, I got an account with a local Internet provider. Even set up our office so 5 computers could share the modem connection. This was like in '94 or '95 ??

All those crazy websites, with like the gray backgrounds, and just really long pages.

Geez, AOL? That's was high-tech compared to the monochrome bulletin-boards of my youth. We'd pick up the monthly computer magazine, which listed dozens of phone numbers for your computer to call. It was basically a dial-up website.

On a completely different topic, does anybody know of any Shreveport blogs? I'm not talking about Gannett-imposed blogs like the Times, just blogs of citizens in Shreveport. Any ideas?
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:34 AM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I have been on the net since 1995.

Sorry it took so long but I was waiting for Al Gore to invent it :-) I was just a gamer like Doom and Duke Nuke and others till I got tired of them and now I never game on the computer. Seems some get it and others well they will never get it. Road kill on the internet highway !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Doom, RPGs where there were no pictures, just descriptions and you had to type the actions of the characters.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo
On a completely different topic, does anybody know of any Shreveport blogs? I'm not talking about Gannett-imposed blogs like the Times, just blogs of citizens in Shreveport. Any ideas?
This is the only one I know of (by Robert Trudeau)
http://shreveport.blogspot.com/

But really, I *think* this was one of the ideas behind this shreveport.com site. Only there are few blogs so far. I've been thinking of ideas for a blog or even a podcast but I'm not an expert in anything interesting.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
VetteZ51

Rep Power: 0 VetteZ51 is on a distinguished road VetteZ51 is on a distinguished road
Shreveport blogs

To the person asking about blogs -- here is a Shreveport-based blog that has been getting a LOT of activity: www.marshallfannin.com
VetteZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
Hattie Thomas

Rep Power: 0 Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hattie Thomas
I love technology

I dont have a p.c. I just have a "speak and spell" hot wired to the phone jack.
Hattie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie Thomas
I dont have a p.c. I just have a "speak and spell" hot wired to the phone jack.
LMAO. I like you Hattie. My grandmothers name was Hattie. She wasn't a gun totin' nun, but she could hold her own. GLTY
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Tomoshibi

Rep Power: 0 Tomoshibi has a spectacular aura about Tomoshibi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Tomoshibi Send a message via Yahoo to Tomoshibi
I came along after the web was alrighty out and about. I got my first computer when I was 12-years-old. It had Windows 95, less then 128MB of RAM, the CPU would be considered stoneage by today's standards, YET it was still the most expensive computer I have purchased to date ($1,300). AOL 3.0 was the latest version back then. I was connected through an internal 56k dial-up modem. AOL was AWESOME back then. Very little spam, a lot of nice chatrooms with great people, and hilarious wav sounds to trade (like the infamous DUCKJOB!!!). AOL is slowly dying now, but I've got DSL and love it.
Tomoshibi is offline   Reply With Quote