Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Computers & Internet

Notices

Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
Greeting Card Virus

http://www.ic3.gov/media/2007/070717-1.htm

GREETING CARD SCAM

The FBI continues to receive reports of Internet fraud related to electronic greeting cards containing malware (malicious software). The cards, which are also referred to as e-cards or postcards, are being sent via spam. Like many other Internet fraud schemes, the perpetrators use social engineering tactics to entice the victim, claiming the card is from a family member or friend. Although there have been variations in the spam message and attached malware, generally the spam directs the recipient to click the link provided in the email to view their e-card. Upon clicking the link, the recipient is unknowingly taken to a malicious web page.
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
A tip:

Never click on any link in any email.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Another tip:

Install a good anti-malware package. Hey this might make a good thread.. What brand of anti-virus-spyware software do you use? Do you use a "suite" of tools? Or pick ala carte?

I use AVG anti-malware package. It has virus and spyware protection. The full blown package also has personal firewall. I don't like personal firewalls so I went with the double play instead of the triple play package.

Then I run adware and spybot every so often. (free versions) This keeps me pretty clean. (which is relative nowadays) That and not clicking links in emails.

Packages that I don't like are Norton which doesn't work worth a darn IMO. Spyware Doctor is OK but I don't like PCTools antivirus. CA makes good stuff (eTrust?)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I run nothing because stuff like this is ridiculously easy to avoid.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote