Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Computers & Internet

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #31
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
I went back and looked at those instructions again this morning.

The only other conclusion I can come up with is you are utilizing a laptop with a built in monitor (monitor1) and therefore the ONLY display output plug you have is being used for monitor 2???????????
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #32
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Many desktop video cards (the one I'm using right now, for instance. It happens to be a Dell, as well) have a single video connector that can be split into two.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #33
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Many desktop video cards (the one I'm using right now, for instance. It happens to be a Dell, as well) have a single video connector that can be split into two.

I don't doubt that it's possible, I'm looking for instructions explaining how it's done.

The instructions MoJo linked to show multiple video outputs while you and he have both indicated that's no longer necessary.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #34
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
A DVI connector can carry both analog and digital signals, the Y-cable simply splits those off into DVI-D via a DVI connector and RGB analog via a 15-pin D-SUB "VGA" connector.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #35
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
A DVI connector can carry both analog and digital signals, the Y-cable simply splits those off into DVI-D via a DVI connector and RGB analog via a 15-pin D-SUB "VGA" connector.

So your video card only has 1 output and it's a DVI, and this is your Desktop or Tower, NOT a laptop....right?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #36
MOJO

Rep Power: 0 MOJO will become famous soon enough MOJO will become famous soon enough
single video output

My video card has one DVI output and is split into two VGA outputs thus two monitors. Simple. I looked it up and it is called a "DVI-I to dual VGA" splitter.

Thanks joepole
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #37
BrainSmashR
Banned

Kewl...I read a description of one of the products and it didn't really indicate it was capable of multiple settings.

Is monitor2 cloning monitor1 your only option or do better splitters offer more features such as horizontal or vertical spanning?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #38
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

They are two completely separate video signals that can be arranged the same as a PC with two video cards or a PC with a video card that had two connectors.

I suppose you could probably clone, though.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #39
BrainSmashR
Banned

Thanks for the info....

Isabelle, I hope you've been paying attention. Depending on your computer, this may be a cheaper solution than what I have suggested.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #40
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 235 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
We ordered what we needed today. I will let you know how it works. I was way off on the length of VGA cable we needed, 50 feet.