Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lawn & Garden

Notices

Old 09-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
Mudbug

Rep Power: 0 Mudbug is on a distinguished road Mudbug is on a distinguished road
Best time to lay new sod?

We've built a new house (closing this tuesday on it) and have a backyard full of graded dirt to look at. We're planning on shaping beds and laying sod for a nice back yard, but I wonder when really the best time of year is to lay the sod and have it get the best start.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Hey Mudbug, thanks for stirrin' up some action on the boards tonight.. some good topics.. this one how ever, I can't have any real info to pass along.. can't get grass to grow worth a flip in my yard.. I did find this link :

Laying Sod to start new lawns

and a quote from said article.
Quote:
What's the best time for laying sod? Your supplier will have the most accurate info on this topic, since they're experts on the grass type you'll be purchasing. They will also know when it's best to lay sod in your area. Obviously, Step #2 can only be executed during those times of the year when the ground is not frozen. At the other extreme, mid-summer is less than ideal for starting new lawns, since the extreme heat makes drying out more likely. Early fall and early spring are the best times.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote