Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Schools & Education

Notices

Old 08-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Starting school in early August

Caddo Parish teachers go back to school this Monday, August 7. The students soon follow on Wednesday, August 9. Back when school started around Labor Day, students and teachers suffered in the heat for at least a month. Now it is two months at minimum. Yes, the schools are mostly air-conditioned, but many have window units that freeze up and leave us miserable. It also means much more of the budget goes to cooling the schools in the hottest two months of the year.

As a teacher, I would much prefer to go longer in the spring and into June, if necessary, and not return until late August at the earliest, and preferably September. The rationale for going back so soon is so that high school students can take their final exams before the Christmas holiday break. It is apparently believed that they are going to forget everything they learned all semester in two weeks. This doesn't say much for the education system, does it? The powers that be think the kids won't study. Truth be told, those who won't study won't anytime, and those who will, will study even over holidays.

My sister teaches in Texas. She told me they have now passed a law that starting next year, no district is allowed to start school before Labor Day. Sounds like a good plan to me!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
I agree 100%

Who starts school.. especially this early in August !

now when I went to school back in the day, we didn't start until after Labor day as well.. Of course we used to go to school, sometimes well into June, due to the number of Snow days we used to have.

Kansast
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Snow days

Although we have a few "snow days" built into the schedule, we almost never use them. I grew up on the Texas coast and we always started in September. I think you could bake cookies in my classroom right now, without a stove or microwave. It isn't so bad in the "wings" where the A/C is central air. But those of us with window units really suffer.

It is also freezing cold on those rare days that the temp drops below normal in winter. My main heater doesn't work and they can't seem to fix it. I just ask the office to announce for the children to be sure they wear coats to music class. I have a small annex type heater that actually looks like a window unit A/C, but it takes all day to make a difference. If it is bitter cold, they will bring in a gas style heater and hope the fire marshall doesn't show up and discover the violation.

I finally invested over $250 of my own money in a remote microphone unit. I was always getting laryngitis trying to talk over the window unit's noise. At least they seem to have finally fixed the leaky roof and got rid of the termites, at least the ones that were visibly swarming.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Students should start after Labor Day and go to the end of May without so many holidays during the year. If they must have the holidays then go the first week of June. It is not near as hot as it is in August. School buses are not airconditioned.

Last edited by Isabella; 08-22-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Shreveopolis

Rep Power: 0 Shreveopolis will become famous soon enough Shreveopolis will become famous soon enough
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Students should start after Labor Day and go to the end of May without so many holidays during the year. If they must have the holidays then go the first week of June. It is not near as hot as it is in August. School buses are not airconditioned.
Agree.. school shouldn't start until AFTER labor day. August is still "SUMMER". certainly doesn't feel like the beginning of a school year.

And yes it seems they have more 'holidays' during the school year.

Last edited by Shreveopolis; 08-22-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Shreveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
Cadenza

holidays

Whether there are "too many holidays" or not is debatable. But in my experience, we have started earlier and earlier without the addition of holidays. Those have stayed the same. I did notice one "fall holiday" this year that we haven't had before...October 13. I don't know what it is for although it does occur at the end of a nine week grading period. If anything, we are getting out earlier in May than before. It is like the whole year has been moved back a few days each year for the past few years.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Here we go again! School starts Wed. the 8th in BC! It is by far the hottest month of the year. I always feel so sorry for the kids that have to ride the bus the first month too. They are NOT air conditioned! That long Elm Grove ride in the afternoon is just unbearable!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
ME TOO !
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
FYI, I agree as well! It's just now getting really really hot!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
My poor son has a long haul down the stairs to home school! Thank goodness he doesn't have to ride a school bus. I feel so bad for the kids that are going to have to ride them this week. It will be miserable.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Students of every grade should go all year long. it's ridiculous in an age when we don't need kids home for the harvest to have three months out of the year when they do nothing.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Students of every grade should go all year long. it's ridiculous in an age when we don't need kids home for the harvest to have three months out of the year when they do nothing.
Easy to say when you just have toddlers at home. Just wait and see what it's like when they start kindergarten and have to be in school every day! Your entire life as you know it will change. It will totally revolve around their school schedule and you will look forward to a break from it or at least your wife will!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
My poor son has a long haul down the stairs to home school! Thank goodness he doesn't have to ride a school bus. I feel so bad for the kids that are going to have to ride them this week. It will be miserable.
You must have the patience of Job! I would have a difficult time homeschooling!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
OK, if not in the the name of the harvest, how about in the name of carbon credits?? Going to school while its August hot is down right un-American!! Daylight Savings Time is no different. Why not learn or work while its dark?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
You must have the patience of Job! I would have a difficult time homeschooling!
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote