Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
We are raising a generation of pansies. Scaring children isn't very harmful, especially twelve year olds.

No, but mental trauma caused when someone who is supposed to be protecting you brings your 12 year old but into the middle of a firing range IS.

Joe, the only person here who is utterly clueless about how to raise children is YOU, buddy, and in case you haven't noticed, this is an opinion shared unanimously by everyone here with the exception of you.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
See? We're making a nation of litigious nancies:
Gee, one has to wonder if you would feel the same way about someone showing a movie to your daughter glorifying statuatory rape or if we can add hypocrite to the list of adjectives used to describe what a piece of **** you are.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Once again, I have to agree with the majority and stand in awe at the sheer stupidity and waste of oxygen Joe has revealed himself to be..
Numbers mean nothing. I have to agree with Joe. Heck I can remember three or four times when I thought I was going to die as a child.

1) The first time I had the wind knocked out of me.
2) being at the bottom of a pile of 5 or 6 kids piling on top of each other.
3) I was looking at a snake once and a neighbor threw a stick at me and scared the heck out of me.
4) I fell into a pool before I could swim and it took 30 sec or so for an adult to save me.
5) Couple of bad minibike wipeouts.
6) My first real whippin'...

I'm probably forgetting a few. Life is pretty scary, at least for active boys...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #19
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Gee, one has to wonder if you would feel the same way about someone showing a movie to your daughter glorifying statuatory rape

Do schools not study Romeo and Juliet anymore? Juliet's 13, how old is Paris, 20?

Antigone? That one's got it all: incest, rape, murder, suicide

>or if we can add hypocrite to the list of adjectives used to describe what a piece of **** you are.

You truly have a talent for taking the straw man/false dichotomy to heights previously unheard of my mere mortals.

The truth is I wouldn't consider a teacher showing my 12 year old daughter any mainstream commercial movie to be a serious enough offense to warrant any sort of serious punishment. Can it be inappropriate? Definitely. Was it in this case? Almost certainly. Is it a serious problem that warrants serious consequences for those involved? Of course not. A movie that depicts gay people isn't going to "make your kid gay" any more than reading about Leopold and Loeb is going to make him a serial killer.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #20
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Do schools not study Romeo and Juliet anymore? Juliet's 13, how old is Paris, 20?
Hey I'm no literary giant. But isn't Paris in the Iliad and not Romeo and Juliet? And isn't that spelled Parris? Anyway, please continue the amusing volley of banter. hehehe, yeah I try...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #21
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Hey I'm no literary giant. But isn't Paris in the Iliad and not Romeo and Juliet? And isn't that spelled Parris? Anyway, please continue the amusing volley of banter. hehehe, yeah I try...
Rhetz is feeling good tonight
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
There is a character named "Paris" in both. The Paris in R+J is the prince (or some other royal) that 13-year old Juliet's mom tries to pimp her daughter to.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #23
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Nice effort, but the execution of it has earned that faculty the...

Stupid Meter!!!
Can I say that I am embarrassed to admit I am a teacher on so many occasions these days! What possible purpose could there have been in terrifying students? We teach for positive outcomes. What happened to All I Really Need to know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world, watch our for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

(Robert Fulghum)

I know it's idealistic, but could they have planned a fieldtrip that included sticking together and being aware of wonder? I cringe at calling these "teachers" peers. Stupid is the only word that fits.

Last edited by Sheba; 05-15-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 AM   #24
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
Can I say that I am embarrassed to admit I am a teacher on so many occasions these days! What possible purpose could there have been in terrifying students? We teach for positive outcomes. What happened to All I Really Need to know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Clean up your own mess.
Flush.
Live a balanced life -l earn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
When you go out into the world, watch our for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

(Robert Fulghum)

I know it's idealistic, but could they have planned a field trip that included sticking together and being aware of wonder? I cringe at calling these "teachers" peers. Stupid is the only word that fits.
Oh but there is another word Foolish I would not pull out a toy gun these days you may end up looking like Swiss Cheese Sheba S Check
Old 05-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #25
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Numbers mean nothing. I have to agree with Joe. Heck I can remember three or four times when I thought I was going to die as a child.

1) The first time I had the wind knocked out of me.
2) being at the bottom of a pile of 5 or 6 kids piling on top of each other.
3) I was looking at a snake once and a neighbor threw a stick at me and scared the heck out of me.
4) I fell into a pool before I could swim and it took 30 sec or so for an adult to save me.
5) Couple of bad minibike wipeouts.
6) My first real whippin'...

I'm probably forgetting a few. Life is pretty scary, at least for active boys...

There's a BIG difference between you "thinking" you are going to die and an adult in charge of your safety telling you that you are going to die.

Suppose someone you put in charge of maintaining your health, say your Doctor, tells you that YOU are going to die.

Not so funny anymore, huh? In fact, I'd bet you sue his ass off and try to have his medical license revoked....while you are clearly implying the exact same scenario shouldn't affect a CHILD at all.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #26
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Can I say that I am embarrassed to admit I am a teacher on so many occassions these days! What possible purpose could there have been in terrifying students? We teach for positive outcomes. What happened to All I Really Need to know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Clean up your own mess.
Flush.
Live a balanced life -l earn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Be aware of wonder.

(Robert Fulghum)

I know iit's idealistic, but could they have planned a fieldtrip that included sticking together and being aware of wonder? I cringe at calling these "teachers" peers. Stupid is the only word that fits.
Here, here Sheba!!! I agree! It is a shame how those innocent little creatures don't get to be that for long. I think so many people including their parents are in a rush to make them grow up! We should all try to sit back and look through the eyes of the little ones...it's fascinating to say the least!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #27
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Here, here Sheba!!! I agree! It is a shame how those innocent little creatures don't get to be that for long. I think so many people including their parents are in a rush to make them grow up! We should all try to sit back and look through the eyes of the little ones...it's fascinating to say the least!
Amen Pokie and Sheba! Why do they have to grow up so fast and why are they being terrorized by teachers? As a child, my teachers were among the people I looked up to and trusted the most. These days you have to teach your child to be wary of a teacher. Oh oh oh, that's one of the reasons I homeschool!

Rhertz, I can't beleve you are even trying to defend Joe and his statements. There is nothing even remotely funny about what these teachers did and in now way can you justify it.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #28
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Spelled checked & improved. Thanks , mighty lion!!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #29
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Spelled checked & improved. Thanks , mighty lion!!
The Lion sleeps tonight
Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #30
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>Rhertz, I can't believe you are even trying to defend Joe and his statements.

Yeah, my "this was inappropriate but isn't a big deal and didn't really cause any damage" stance is pretty out there.