Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: Broadmoor Civil Defense Siren full view

Reader comments and feedback for the Broadmoor Civil Defense Siren full view photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

Civil Defense Siren , located on Akard Avenue (between Atlantic and Pennsylvania Aves.), on the East side of Broadmoor Junior High property. (4/2005)<br />
<br />
Tested every Saturday at noon. Loud. Though I never was next to it when it went off, it could be heard all over Broadmoor, South Highlands and probably beyond.<br />
<br />
Appears to be a Thunderbolt 1000 series.<br />
<br />
Pictures and sounds here<br />
http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/sirens.html<br />
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_defense_siren<br />
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Maybe someone can describe how the actual tone sounded. I don't recall if it was a single steady tone or whatever.

More views here
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Maybe someone can describe how the actual tone sounded. I don't recall if it was a single steady tone or whatever.

More views here
Good post J.nc ! The horn would blow for about 10 minuets with out stop. I could not imagine what it would be like to live right next to it. I remember the wooden pole with the pegs that started so high off the ground we could not climb it at all.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
I-S, the specs for the Thunderbolt 1000 say it outputs 125 dB measured at 100 ft.

Also for perspective, the cone is 56" long and the opening ~28"x29".

I think there used to be one on top of a building downtown. Wonder where others were located?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
I-S, the specs for the Thunderbolt 1000 say it outputs 125 dB measured at 100 ft.

Also for perspective, the cone is 56" long and the opening ~28"x29".

I think there used to be one on top of a building downtown. Wonder where others were located?
I could hear the one on Akard when I was on Preston loud and clear. That is the only one I knew about but I was riding a bike at the time.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
This thing used to rotate. I lived two blocks north of Broadmoor School and it would get really loud and then start to fade. All of a sudden kids would start coming outside and start playing after this. It signalled the end of cartoons on Saturday.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
That is the only one I knew about but I was riding a bike at the time.
Now THAT must have been a looooooonnnggg time ago!
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Speaking of riding a bike. This same time period, we would be riding along and the mosquito trucks would come by. We would ride behind them untill the smell hit us and then it was all we could do to not fall off our bikes. I'm still waiting to get cancer from that. Maybe I'm not waiting anymore, who knows.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
j.nc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Speaking of riding a bike. This same time period, we would be riding along and the mosquito trucks would come by. We would ride behind them untill the smell hit us and then it was all we could do to not fall off our bikes. I'm still waiting to get cancer from that. Maybe I'm not waiting anymore, who knows.

LOL -yeah. The trucks always came by our area at dusk or late at night.

And anyone remember the WWII surplus aircraft (pretty sure it was a B-25/24? I knew exactly what it was at the time but memory fades) tricked out to fly treetop level practically and spray for fire ants? I recall them flying over VERY low in South Highland area.

Google Note: found a citation that said WWII aircraft were routinely used to apply mirex bait 1962-1978 timeframe (states got matching federal $ in the program). Before that it was granular dieldrin or heptachlor. They don't sound like good things to drop on people. A lot of good it did too -those buggers are chewing my ass up all the way up here in the Carolinas today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
This thing used to rotate. I lived two blocks north of Broadmoor School and it would get really loud and then start to fade. All of a sudden kids would start coming outside and start playing after this. It signalled the end of cartoons on Saturday.

Of course - doh! reading about this model of siren learned it didn't vary in pitch so I couldn't figure why my memory had it changing - it was cause it rotated - completely overlooked that obvious point. Thanks purpahurl
... and nice memory shared too
Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
xt235

Rep Power: 0 xt235 will become famous soon enough xt235 will become famous soon enough
I think the horn produced a steady tone, but it gave the impression of an up and down tone as the horn rotated around. It seemed to take about 30 to 45 seconds to complete one turn around.
xt235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
j.nc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt235 View Post
I think the horn produced a steady tone, but it gave the impression of an up and down tone as the horn rotated around. It seemed to take about 30 to 45 seconds to complete one turn around.
Well hey xt235! SBLive Forum, meet my little bro'
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome aboard xt! We are in need of new members. Several regulars are MIA??

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by xt235 View Post
Would this be the "Doppler Effect"? Where is joepole when you need him..

Seriously this is how I remember it. I lived about a mile from Broadmoor. The dogs all over would go nuts howling at the siren... Especially our dachshunds.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote