Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #31
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Rhertz, I can't beleve you are even trying to defend Joe and his statements. There is nothing even remotely funny about what these teachers did and in now way can you justify it.
Well that's half of it. I'm also choosing to disagree with Brainsmashr which is the other half. Now please stop making me show my hand all the time.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #32
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think it is just BrainSmasher your trying to disagree with.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #33
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
There's a BIG difference between you "thinking" you are going to die and an adult in charge of your safety telling you that you are going to die.

Suppose someone you put in charge of maintaining your health, say your Doctor, tells you that YOU are going to die.

Not so funny anymore, huh? In fact, I'd bet you sue his ass off and try to have his medical license revoked....while you are clearly implying the exact same scenario shouldn't affect a CHILD at all.
First off, I never said that I agree with the faculty or their actions in this news story. I do not. I said that I agree with joepole, but I didn't even say what exactly I agree with. Anyway, this statement I was agreeing with:

"We are raising a generation of pansies. Scaring children isn't very harmful, especially twelve year olds."

Again I don't advocate that adults scare the heck out of kids. That is wrong. Although I gotta wonder with some of todays movies. What I'm saying is that kids do get the heck scared out of them anyway. It happens and I cited some personal examples. As for your point or notion of someone telling you that you are going to die makes the "near death experience" somehow different or worse, I disagree. I think that "having the life scared out of me" is the worse feeling on earth regardless of any circumstances....

Using my example, when I was standing on the bottom of the pool looking up, and before that big hand reached down and grabbed me, yes I thought I was going to die. I didn't need anyone to tell me that. Had an adult yelled at me "you are going to die" I couldn't hear it underwater anyway. But yes, when a child (or an adult for that matter) really thinks they are going to die, then they really think that! Otherwise, they didn't think they were going to die, did they?

And to reinterate, no I don't think throwing kids into a pool and letting them sink and have the life scared out of them is a good way to teach them how to swim. In my case, I fell in by accident and I was lucky an adult saw it happen. But likewise I don't think we should all raise pansies who are never scared or take reasonable risks either. Life is pretty scary at times and young adults need to learn the skills to cope.....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #34
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Well Rherts, what can I say other than at least one of us is still young enough to remember the difference between a perceived fear and one your parents or guardian tells you IS real.

For instance, I can remember being terrified after watching Jaws for the first time and making my parents let me sleep in the bed with them, but that in no way shape or form meant I thought a giant fish was going to eat me in the middle of Natchitoches.

My irrational fear is no where near in comparison to someone like my father telling me I'll get shot in the head if I stand up.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #35
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Well Rherts, what can I say other than at least one of us is still young enough to remember the difference between a perceived fear and one your parents or guardian tells you IS real.

For instance, I can remember being terrified after watching Jaws for the first time and making my parents let me sleep in the bed with them, but that in no way shape or form meant I thought a giant fish was going to eat me in the middle of Natchitoches.

My irrational fear is no where near in comparison to someone like my father telling me I'll get shot in the head if I stand up.
Excellent point, Brain!! I see teachers as the protectors here, and that system failed miserably. There's something dreadfully wrong when kids don't know who they can trust. It breaks down a belief system - similar to abuse by a family member.

That's very different than a simple prank by their peers. These were teachers and that changes the situation. Still think the word stupid fits, too.