Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Shreveopolis

Rep Power: 0 Shreveopolis will become famous soon enough Shreveopolis will become famous soon enough
Any Happy AT&T Wireless customers out there?

LOL any happy AT&T wirless customers who had to MIGRATE to Cingular and STILL happy about it ?

I thoroughly enjoyed AT&T service, had to migrate to Cingular, and I can't stand it, been thinking of switching to Verizon or something ?
Shreveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I was a happy ATT wireless customer for years.. Then I got caught up in the Cingular/ATT merger and they forced me from my old ATT Nokia phone into buying a Cingular Motorola phone and it sucked. I tried several models and they all sucked. Then it Katrina happened and I could hardly make a call at all. About 6 months later, I saw a Cingular spokesperson on the news blowing smoke. I knew then that it was the network and not me. I ended up dumping Cingular and even paying hundreds to cancel my contract. It was worth almost any cost to get on Verizon where I have almost no problems here in town. I don't travel much so national coverage doesn't do much for me. I just need too coverage in town. I vote for abolishment of the PSC or PUC (Public Service Commission) because they do absolutely nothing to protect citizens from telecom abuse from major corporations. What a joke.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
WHen I was an AT&T customer I never had to call them for anything perfect service not even a billing issue that I can recall. Once cingular took over it all went to hell and back. I switched to Verizon, one due to the shotty service of cingular and 2 they wanted me to pay to switch to CINGULAR??? I didn't tell them to buy at&t and why should I pay to use them when they are my carrier in the first place? They made it so the old at&t phones were unusable and if you could use them they had more issues than you can imagine. I pay for Verizon and it's not cheap but you do get what you pay for sometimes.

I say no to Cingular!!!
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
trkshot8

Rep Power: 0 trkshot8 will become famous soon enough trkshot8 will become famous soon enough
Cingular blah

I was once a very happy AT&T customer also. Could even get reception in the deepest depths of Wal-Mart. Well, those days are long gone. Cingular is the worst cell provider I have ever dealt with in my life. I have no idea how they keep the lights on. I own a business and if I ran my business like they run their business, I'd be out of business. Cingular recently was called to the carpet by the Shreveport city council and had to answer as to why their service was so bad.
trkshot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkshot8
Cingular recently was called to the carpet by the Shreveport city council and had to answer as to why their service was so bad.
Are you serious ? I would have liked to have heard that conversation !!
But you are correct, if anyone else ran a business like that, they'd be screwed. I got so jerked around having to migrate from AT&T to Cingular, and had to freakin' get new phones to do it. I then went through no FEWER than 8 phones trying to find one that would work. Atop some of the tallest buildings in town, with FULL signal.. calls would still get dropped, or fail to go through.

So was it when the city Council called them out.. is that when I read about the Cingular rep trying to tell us how they were trying to improve service around here or what ? that was some 8 months ago or so ?
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
What I find funny about Cingular is their TV commercials. While I was on ATT, I didn't even know what "call failed" meant. Cell phone service just wasn't an issue for me for years and years while on ATT. But while on Cingular, all I got was dropped calls and jitter. Half my calls were dropped or unusable.

So their new TV commercials talk about how they were voted the most reliable network with the fewest dropped calls!! This simply amazes me that they can claim that in independent study proves it. Riiiiiiiight..........

I guess their marketing department is sitting around asking, "What is our biggest problems?" (dropped calls) OK, lets spend millions saying we have fewer dropped calls than anyone else! Now when I see a Cingular commecial with a pissed off actor angry over his droppouts, I just pretend he is using Cingular! They got one thing right, and that is simply associating Cingular with dropped calls. That part is Right on!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
trkshot8

Rep Power: 0 trkshot8 will become famous soon enough trkshot8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
Are you serious ? I would have liked to have heard that conversation !!
But you are correct, if anyone else ran a business like that, they'd be screwed. I got so jerked around having to migrate from AT&T to Cingular, and had to freakin' get new phones to do it. I then went through no FEWER than 8 phones trying to find one that would work. Atop some of the tallest buildings in town, with FULL signal.. calls would still get dropped, or fail to go through.

So was it when the city Council called them out.. is that when I read about the Cingular rep trying to tell us how they were trying to improve service around here or what ? that was some 8 months ago or so ?
Here's the link.... I think there is video wih it.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/3904866.html
trkshot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
So it's not just me then.. THOSE @#$@#$@#$@ , saying it's FIXED.

not to mention the NIGHTMARE I went through. and STILL going through, trying to drop my cingular account..
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkshot8
Here's the link.... I think there is video wih it.
http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/3904866.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutts
Schutts says this is the first time in his ten years with the cellular provider he's ever been asked address a city council.
Typical arrogance from Cingular (largely owned by BellSouth) Instead of apologizing for shoddy service, or offering to let their poor customers out of contracts early due to poor level of service, they just reek of arrogance. How dare a city council call their hand! I guess the era of "pilaging" is not yet over, because they have more attorneys lobbying in Washington, than Shreveport has lawyers total!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

I thought I would share some of my research on the topic:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...GNEWS/60810024
http://www.kpxj21.com/news/local/3904836.html
http://www.cellreception.com/coverag...ort/page1.html

Interesting story:
http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=12495
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Yea.. on the phone with Cingular now.. they're still trying to figure out what it is I owe them for a service that never worked.. I switched to Verizon some time ago, but this damn bill with Cingular won't freakin' go away, I'll be glad to pay it, once they can tell me what the heck it's for !!!!
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Happy AT&T Customer

I am actually a happy AT&T Wireless customer because I never switched to Cingular. I migrated myself and my wife to AT&T's GSM plan shortly before the merger and never made the mistake of switching plans after that, which would have required me to become a "Cingular Orange" customer instead of "Cingular Blue."

I needed a new phone earlier this year so I just ordered it straight from Nokia instead of going through Cingular. It cost me $150 instead of $50 but I still have my precious AT&T Wireless SIM card that lets me use the good network. It was a huge pain to set up the data services, but once I did that I have been very pleased. My wife called me today and I didn't even know she was on a cell phone until she told me.

I can manually choose between the two networks (they used to show up as "CINGULAR" and "Cingular" with the latter being the AT&T service, but now they both show up as being named "CINGULAR") and it's still worlds of difference.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I am actually a happy AT&T Wireless customer because I never switched to Cingular. I migrated myself and my wife to AT&T's GSM plan shortly before the merger and never made the mistake of switching plans after that, which would have required me to become a "Cingular Orange" customer instead of "Cingular Blue."

well LUCKY YOU.. yes, when I was an AT&T customer, I NEVER had a problem with my phone. when I went to Cingular, I went through 8 phones.. none of which worked to my satisfaction. even if I had a full signal, I would still get dropped and missed calls.

Just got off the phone with Cingular, seemed like hours.. but they decided I didn't owe them some $1,000 + and dropped the whole thing, said it was in their error. Long story

Wish I could go back to the days of AT&T wireless service.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I am actually a happy AT&T Wireless customer because I never switched to Cingular..
You are pretty smart to keep AT&T. You probably have the whole network to yourself! I needed more phones and caved into the sales pressure to "migrate" over to Cingular. It cost a lot to migrate over, and even more to get the heck of Cingular. (It's borderline fraud if you ask me, but IANAL) But I do consider AT&T's network to be "night and day" difference when compared to Cingular. I thought AT&T was supposed to buy back Cingular? Or is that deal dead?...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Food chain

AT&T (the formerly big company) used to own AT&T Wireless. Then they sold the service (but not the ue of the name AT&T) to Cingular, which itself was a joint venture between BellSouth and SBC (formerly SoutWestern Bell).

At this point there was still AT&T, the long distance, networking, etc. company and "AT&T Wireless," owned by Cingular who had to stp using the name AT&T in any form. Then SBC (who owed about half of Cingular) bought AT&T, so you had SBC owning both AT&T and a company that owned the old AT&T Wireless network and customers. SBC decided to change it name to AT&T after the merger. Then AT&T (formerly SBC, formerly SouthWestern bell) decided to buy BellSouth (who owned the other half of Cingular).

So now one company, named AT&T, will own everything: The old SouthWestern Bell, BellSouth, Cingular, AT&T Wireless, and AT&T's long distance/networking/etc. business.

It's all so simple!
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote