Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Woman With No Arms Sues McDonald's For No Service

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6744908

Quote:
A genetic syndrome has left Illinois resident Dawn Larson without hands or fully developed arms. Larson has learned to lead a full life by using her feet. She's even able to drive. But at McDonald's she said they took her money at one window but wouldn't give her the food at the next window. Larson says she felt degraded
Now McDonald's should know even disabled people have to eat. Shame on them.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I have no sympathy for anyone suiting McDonalds anymore, even if they have no arms or legs. That's not Ronald's fault. Coffee is hot. So are french fries. And passing food to someone's foot is uncommon and unexpected.

Let me guess, she wants millions of $$ in damages for scaring her for life. Ridiculous...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry but I too found that to be a bit gross! The lady (by no fault of her own) has to eat with the very same appendages that she walks all over the nasty ground with. I too think that this birth defect itself has scarred the woman for life, not McDonalds.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
I have no sympathy for anyone suiting McDonalds anymore, even if they have no arms or legs. That's not Ronald's fault. Coffee is hot. So are french fries. And passing food to someone's foot is uncommon and unexpected.

Let me guess, she wants millions of $$ in damages for scaring her for life. Ridiculous...

Are you saying a person that has no arms or legs should not eat? And passing food to someone's foot may be uncommon and unexpected but they still have the right to eat in public places. If it had been me at the drive through I would have given her food to her. She can't help she was born with no arms. The the reason she is sueing is it has happened at more than one McDonald's. I was under the impession you over look people's deformatives and not make them feel self conscious about it. I think this is another ducking moment for you.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I'm sorry but I too found that to be a bit gross! The lady (by no fault of her own) has to eat with the very same appendages that she walks all over the nasty ground with. I too think that this birth defect itself has scarred the woman for life, not McDonalds.
It is true this is not her fault but I bet her feet stay clean. The woman never said that McDonald's scarred her for life, she knows full well she is scarred. But she should have the right to pull through a drive through and get her food to take home. She had her children in the car with her and what is that teaching them. Maybe not compassion.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I guess they should've just passed her the food since they did take her money, but I don't feel that she should sue. People probably are caught off guard when a foot comes through the window instead of a hand! I know I would be a bit startled to say the least.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I guess they should've just passed her the food since they did take her money, but I don't feel that she should sue. People probably are caught off guard when a foot comes through the window instead of a hand! I know I would be a bit startled to say the least.
I would be startled to but I would at least try and hide it so as not to hurt her feelings over something she has no control over. It told the first time this happened the McDonald's offered her a $10 gift certificate. What is 10 bucks when they still refuse her service.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I don't really get why we have an issue here. If the woman could pay for her food and her feet did not have to touch the counter, then let her have it. It's really quite simple. I think that sometimes we just forget all about compassion and love thy neighbor. The employees could have walked it out to her car and placed it inside for her or were they too lazy for that?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I don't really get why we have an issue here. If the woman could pay for her food and her feet did not have to touch the counter, then let her have it. It's really quite simple. I think that sometimes we just forget all about compassion and love thy neighbor. The employees could have walked it out to her car and placed it inside for her or were they too lazy for that?

Thank You Belle that is the point I was trying to make. Compassion and helping someone with a disability.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
Are you saying a person that has no arms or legs should not eat? And passing food to someone's foot may be uncommon and unexpected but they still have the right to eat in public places. If it had been me at the drive through I would have given her food to her. She can't help she was born with no arms. The the reason she is sueing is it has happened at more than one McDonald's. I was under the impession you over look people's deformatives and not make them feel self conscious about it. I think this is another ducking moment for you.
I understand your point. But is the problem only at McDonalds? And zero other restaurants? Do othe restaurants welcome her with open arms? (Or I mean open feet?) I find it difficult to believe she gets treated differently at McDonald's then say at Burger King or Wendy's. Again McDonalds is a target like WalMart who had to say "enough is enough" and now they take all cases to court out of necessity. No out-of-court settlements because the frivilous lawsuits ruined it for legitimate cases....
Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
Thank You Belle that is the point I was trying to make. Compassion and helping someone with a disability.
Piemaker, I have decided over the last couple of years that most people in this world lack compassion. So many seem not to care much for their fellow man. It is so sad. In our profession in this home, daily we see it and it seems that unless there is something in it ($$$$) for a person, then they lose their lack of caring and compassion.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Piemaker, I have decided over the last couple of years that most people in this world lack compassion. So many seem not to care much for their fellow man. It is so sad. In our profession in this home, daily we see it and it seems that unless there is something in it ($$$$) for a person, then they lose their lack of caring and compassion.
I know what you mean Belle. I worked in a nursing home for several years and believe me that takes alot of compassion and patience which not any person can do.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I understand your point. But is the problem only at McDonalds? And zero other restaurants? Do othe restaurants welcome her with open arms? (Or I mean open feet?) I find it difficult to believe she gets treated differently at McDonald's then say at Burger King or Wendy's. Again McDonalds is a target like WalMart who had to say "enough is enough" and now they take all cases to court out of necessity. No out-of-court settlements because the frivilous lawsuits ruined it for legitimate cases....

She told in an interview that at other restaurants she eats inside at a table with her family. Then point is some thinks it is disgusting using her feet which I agree is, but what do you think she should do, hire someone to go with her and feed her. Wouldn't that be just as degrading to be feed like an infant. And she said it happened at more than one McDonalds.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I consider myself a generous and compassionate person. Where I draw the line is for someone suing McDonalds over a hot cup of coffee or grabbing a bag with your feet. How about $100 tops?? That's good pay for one single bad drive thru experience, don't you think?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I consider myself a generous and compassionate person. Where I draw the line is for someone suing McDonalds over a hot cup of coffee or grabbing a bag with your feet. How about $100 tops?? That's good pay for one single bad drive thru experience, don't you think?

Do you not understand that it was more than one single drive through experience? And why keep bring up the hot coffee, I figure the hot coffee person was trying to scam McDonald's. But you are taking a disability and making it sound like a scam. You say you consider yourself a compassionate person, but to me unless you can put yourself in that woman's place and see how you would feel if someone treated you that way or discriminated against you for a disability, then I beg to differ. Even people like that woman has feelings.

compassion--a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.
mercy, tenderness, heart,
Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it
the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to do something about it
the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others