Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Your goose is cooked? or not.

Okay I've got two geese in the freezer. I haven't a clue how to prepare them. Anyone want to share their favorite goose recipe?
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
What type of Geese?
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Goose with a sauce pecan
4 (1 1/4 lb) boneless skinless goose breasts
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 2/3 cups pecans, finely chopped
1/3 cup fine cracker crumbs (use seasoned of your choice, or plain, I like Ritz)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Maple Pecan Sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/3 cup pecan pieces, toasted
Cook for one hour and fifteen minuets @ 375 degrees

Click image for larger version

Name:	cookedgoose.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1816
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
What type of Geese?
speckled belly
Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Goose with a sauce pecan
4 (1 1/4 lb) boneless skinless goose breasts
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 2/3 cups pecans, finely chopped
1/3 cup fine cracker crumbs (use seasoned of your choice, or plain, I like Ritz)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Maple Pecan Sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/3 cup pecan pieces, toasted
Cook for one hour and fifteen minuets @ 375 degrees

Attachment 1816
THANKS!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
I personally like "smoked goose". Inject them with cajun injector seasoning and smoke for about 4-6 hours. You have to have water in the smoker or they dry out quickley. When they are done it will taste like a good cut of beef.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
I personally like "smoked goose". Inject them with Cajun injector seasoning and smoke for about 4-6 hours. You have to have water in the smoker or they dry out quickly. When they are done it will taste like a good cut of beef.
BEEF maybe beef liver I can say most anything right off the smoker with the water pan is good but a day later that goose will fly south on you unless you use a major amount of sauce
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
BEEF maybe beef liver I can say most anything right off the smoker with the water pan is good but a day later that goose will fly south on you unless you use a major amount of sauce
Somebody must have given you some Cormorant.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Well Isaac your recipe sounds better than my idea to inject the goose with "duck" Cajun inector, dusting the outside with Tony's and putting it on my grill's rotisserie.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
I personally like "smoked goose". Inject them with cajun injector seasoning and smoke for about 4-6 hours. You have to have water in the smoker or they dry out quickley. When they are done it will taste like a good cut of beef.
I have a water smoker. I love smoked meat, but Mrs. Morph says it gives her heartburn. What wood would you recommend? I have heard that mesquite is good for birds. I like pecan for my ribs.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Pecan. I used to smoke about ten at a time and make fresh bread and take both around at Christmas. Even people that would normaly not eat "game" loved this. The key is do not let the temp get high. This can really dry it out. You can smoke the fool out of it with very low temp and then put it in the oven to finish.

Season it at least 10 hours in advance.

Another good way is to filet the breast meat and cut it in strips. Marinade it in something like Alegro or Teriyaki w/ red wine etc.. get some peppers(Anahiem, or Jalaps) get all the seeds out slice them into strips. Pepperjack cheese sliced into strips. Take the goose strips out of the marinade, place a piece of pepper in it, put the cheese in the pepper then roll it up in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Cook them on the grill and then go slap yo mama!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Pecan. I used to smoke about ten at a time and make fresh bread and take both around at Christmas. Even people that would normaly not eat "game" loved this. The key is do not let the temp get high. This can really dry it out. You can smoke the fool out of it with very low temp and then put it in the oven to finish.

Season it at least 10 hours in advance.

Another good way is to filet the breast meat and cut it in strips. Marinade it in something like Alegro or Teriyaki w/ red wine etc.. get some peppers(Anaheim, or Jalaps) get all the seeds out slice them into strips. Pepperjack cheese sliced into strips. Take the goose strips out of the marinade, place a piece of pepper in it, put the cheese in the pepper then roll it up in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Cook them on the grill and then go slap yo mama!
This shows that not everything taste like chicken. Stick with chicken or beef !
Anybody here like to eat turtle on the half shell
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Thanks for those ideas purpahurl. Isaac, never had turtle on the halfshell, but I do like turtle soup at Ernest's.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #14
decolady

Rep Power: 0 decolady will become famous soon enough decolady will become famous soon enough
So Morpheus, did you cook your geese? Here's my family recipe that was cooked since before 1900 down in DeSoto Parish by my great-grandmother and continued by my grandmother till she passed some 20 years ago. (I wrote it down the way my grandmother told me and continue to cook it this way over here in Alabama.) My great-grandmother raised geese and this was their standard Christmas dinner. My Mom told me she never knew people ate something other than goose for Christmas until she went off to college.

To Cook A Goose

7 to 9 pound goose
salt and pepper
1 apple, quartered
4 to 6 celery tops
1 onion, quartered, optional

"Get a nice goose and cut off all the fat you can see. Wash body cavity real good and drain. Cut off skin up at neck. Dry off real good after he drips awhile. Put salt and pepper inside him and put the apple and celery tops in the cavity.

"You need a roasting pan with a rack. Every so often lift him out and put him in the lid. Drain off all the fat. Put him back in the oven baking at 350°F for 18-20 minutes per pound. You have to prick the skin around the groin to let the fat drain. Be careful! It'll pop out at you. Can raise the temperature at the end to brown him good. Let him sit awhile before carving.

"Get out the brown drippings to put in gravy. Make Sage Cornbread Dressing (recipe follows) and put it in the roaster to cook. You'll need more broth than the goose produces so use chicken. Probably the dressing will need basting. You don't want it stiff.

"You can save the fat to use later for chicken and dumplings instead of butter. Louise (her mother) always put apple in the goose, but the onion is good too, either with or without the apple."

Sage Cornbread Dressing

First make:
SKILLET BREAD
3 eggs, beaten
1½ cups milk
1/3 cup melted goose fat or oil
1½ cups flour
1½ cups corn meal
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp crumbled dry sage leaves
1 tsp thyme leaves
2½ tsp salt
1½ cups chopped onion
1½ cups chopped celery
¼ cup chopped pimento

Combine eggs, milk & oil. Mix with remaining ingredients stirring only until blended. Pour into large greased iron skillet and bake at 400°F for 35-45 minutes.

to make the dressing:
3 to 4 raw eggs
goose and chicken broth
3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1 to 2 bunches green onions, chopped

Crumble up the Skillet Bread and add the raw eggs. Stir in enough broth to make it look like thick pancake batter. The goose probably doesn't have enough broth so use chicken. Add the hard cooked eggs and green onions. Bake until set in the pan you used to cook the goose.

If you have access to a cookbook called Spirit of the Harvest, there's a recipe in it called Grilled Canada Goose which we've made several times. It's stuffed with a dried fruit/ginger mixture and smoked using either apple wood or alder wood. Goose can be domestic or wild.

Becky
decolady is offline   Reply With Quote