Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Health

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #31
Old Soul

Rep Power: 0 Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
If you are 18 or older, not mentally retarded, and are literate, you should have the right to smoke, shoot, ingest or inhale any damn substance you want, as it is UNDERSTOOD by you and everyone else that if it harms your body, YOU and nobody else are responsible, and it is also understood that you engage in these activities KNOWING the risks and rewards. Some people might see this as a question of morality, which we all know cant be legislated.
Here's the problem with that. It DOES harm others. If you get behind the wheel, it harms others. If you miss the rent, it harms others. If you steal to maintain the habit, it harms others.
Old Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #32
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul
Here's the problem with that. It DOES harm others. If you get behind the wheel, it harms others. If you miss the rent, it harms others. If you steal to maintain the habit, it harms others.
Recreational drug use IS NOT synonymous with irresponsible/criminal behavior. Many, many millions of people use recreational drugs and utilize designated drivers, are in excellent standing with their creditors, do NOT engage in theft of any sort and neither directly nor indirectly harm others.

If you have any of those problems then I would submit that your behavior would be irresponsible/criminal anyway, regardless of whether you use drugs recreationally or not.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #33
Old Soul

Rep Power: 0 Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Recreational drug use IS NOT synonymous with irresponsible/criminal behavior. Many, many millions of people use recreational drugs and utilize designated drivers, are in excellent standing with their creditors, do NOT engage in theft of any sort and neither directly nor indirectly harm others.

If you have any of those problems then I would submit that your behavior would be irresponsible/criminal anyway, regardless of whether you use drugs recreationally or not.
I agree, to a degree. But let's not discount the power of addiction.
Old Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #34
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I think it is time to walk out on the limb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I can tell you this that there is never a reason for a cancer patient or any patient to need an illegal drug to ease their suffering. If a patient is suffering from nausea, there are plenty of perfectly legal drugs available to them to control it. Examples: Anzemet, Zofran, Compazine, etc. If a patient is suffering with pain, there are plenty of pain medicines available to them as well. All capable of keeping the patient comfortable and giving them quality of life as well. There are so many options available to a patient. There is no need to resort to marijuana. This is just an excuse people are using to use the drug. I am sick so I want this drug. But it's just an excuse which is just like a butthole...everybody's got one!

People who are sick such as the terminally ill require a very good physician who knows how to manage these problems such as nausea and pain and give them the correct medicines so that they don't have to suffer.
Not to get off of subject as the thread police will attack but you did say in your other post that the doctors where not doing enough to help your mother with her depression and that there where drugs that could have helped but do to doctor apathy they where not used. Please do not think this is aimed at your mom but at doctors. I do not know the pros and cons for using Marijuana for medical use but I am sure if it where to help they could find a way to place it in a pill like everything else. I have been around cancer patients and other people that where terminal and the attitude is when they are going to die is just give them what they want so they can be happy thru their last days. I think that pain management is first and foremost the problem in terminal patients and that it does get over looked while the patient is the very one that facilitates the doctor getting money from the insurance Co. I see it all to much in geriatric medicine.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #35
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
You are not understanding my point Al. Most of the people trying to use the marijuana are not truly sick with a terminal illness. The people with cancer, etc. are using the legal drugs available to them. There are some exceptions out there but it's their choice to make. The problem with this becomes the family members of these people also using the drug along with the patient. We have seen this day in and out. Trust me I understand your point of "If I am diagnosed with a terminal illness all bets are off". We take care of terminal patients all the time. We see their pain, heartache, and feel it right along with them.

My issue and argument is that most of the people wanting to use marijuana are people with a chronic disease versus a terminal disease and also people who are using it for symptoms that are easily controlled by much simpler methods which are legal. Why would you choose an illegal drug that does not work as well as a legal drug?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #36
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Is Medical Marijuana good for menopause ?

Quote:
You are not understanding my point Al. Most of the people trying to use the marijuana are not truly sick with a terminal illness. The people with cancer, etc. are using the legal drugs available to them. There are some exceptions out there but it's their choice to make. The problem with this becomes the family members of these people also using the drug along with the patient. We have seen this day in and out. Trust me I understand your point of "If I am diagnosed with a terminal illness all bets are off". We take care of terminal patients all the time. We see their pain, heartache, and feel it right along with them.

My issue and argument is that most of the people wanting to use marijuana are people with a chronic disease versus a terminal disease and also people who are using it for symptoms that are easily controlled by much simpler methods which are legal. Why would you choose an illegal drug that does not work as well as a legal drug?
I know being over 40 can be very hard on a woman and the man she lives with at times I wonder have there been studies on the use of marijuana on women over 40 ? It could be used as a reason for good moods and blamed for weight gain
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #37
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Being that I am 40 today and after today will be over 40, at least I am a Hot 40!!!!!! I think I have a couple of years until that menopause hits and then I may hit up Al on the merits of using the marijuana to handle the side effects!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #38
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I understand the position, if you have a disease and you need this drug to numb the pain. However, when you say it becomes a problem when other family begin using the drug as well, that opens a whole new can of worms. At that point, the medical marijuana is no longer being used for medical purposes and the patient becomes responsible for what happens from then on. This is the same for any medication. Sleeping pills are ok to have, but if you overdose someone else on them, you will be serious trouble.

Also, I saw someone bring up using drugs and then driving. This is where comparing it to alcohol becomes relevant. Like the guys already said, "people are doing this with alcohol and it is still legal." I think the root question is why was this drug made illegal?
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #39
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

There is a drug out for use LEGALLY which is very similar to marijuana. It's name is Marinol. It contains the same key ingrediant that marijuana does that prevents nausea which is why most people resort to marijuana for medicinal uses. So that being said and known, why would you resort to the use of an illegal drug when you don't have to?

Isaac, we did run into the issue with our mom and cancer patients can as well in finding a physician who is knowledgeable and/or willing to help deal with the problem at hand. Dealing with mental illness is quite different versus dealing with pain management. In Shreveport alone, when dealing with pain management for cancer patients the oncologists in town do a fabulous job. We are quite lacking in Shreveport in the mental health department and capable physicians to handle someone like mom. The internal medicine doctors, surgeons, and ER doctors who all saw her in the two weeks preceding her apparently did not know what to do. That in my opinion is due to a lack of training for them. I do not know how to explain the two psychiatrists through that saw her and told us quite simply to "Call us if we needed them." This was even after she told them what she intended to do.

Not all people are capable of making rational decisions regarding their own behavior and making wise choices. Marijuana is known as a "gateway" drug. Most drug addicts start off using marijuana first and subsequently progress to more dangerous and addictive drugs. This drug is illegal for so many reasons from being a known carcinogen to it's addictive powers. And it should be left to it's illegal status.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #40
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
I think I could strongly argue against Marijuana being a "Gateway" drug.
I could name countless people who have used or still use Marijuana, and that is the extent and always has been the extent of their "drug use"

now, if a crack addict started off on marijuana, so be it, he probably drank a lot of coca cola as well ? ? Or smoked cigarettes.. which started his "addictive" behaviour, I don't know.

If you get right down to it, I don't know why Marijuana is not legalized. Period. Like has been said before, I find alcohol to be much more dangerous. Not that I wish that to be made illegal. And you can also put me down for allowing those who are very sick, if they can find ANY comfort in the affects of smoking a joint, then so be it.

And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Texasbelle
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #41
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I agree that is should remain illegal. However, it is curious that it was made illegal while other drugs like alcohol are not.

I just thought of something too. If such drugs were not illegal, the people who are dumb enough to abuse them will be doing so freely. The worst thing that could happen is the dumb ones among humanity would meet their end quicker. Unfortunately, they would also start filling up hospitals every time they overdosed or are taken close to death due to drugs, taking up room that could be better spent on people who didn't bring on their own ailment.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #42
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
O.k. everyone who has O.D.'ed on Marijuana raise your hands.

It just doesn't happen. A bad trip ? maybe

But can I walk down to about any corner here in Shreveport, and buy a bottle of booze and go home and drink myself to death. YOU BETCHA !

Or take a perfectly "legal" drug like Methadone.. now that's some scary #@$#
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #43
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Quote:
Being that I am 40 today and after today will be over 40, at least I am a Hot 40!!!!!! I think I have a couple of years until that menopause hits and then I may hit up Al on the merits of using the marijuana to handle the side effects!
Happy Birthday Texasbelle!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #44
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Thank you Isabella. It's a landmark birthday as Isaac says so I think I will get myself ready for a night out at one of my fav restaurants and have a glass of legal wine to celebrate!!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #45
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
After reading all of the posts on this thread it appears there are more for the legalization of marijuana than not. I may concede to medical use if it is positively only for terminally ill patients. Those who believe marijuana does not cause any harm to anyone are wrong. It makes some people have no ambition. All they want to do is lay around all day and get high. How do you know no one has had an accident while driving under the influence of marijuana?