Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Music

Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 213 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
Chris Thomas King of Baton Rouge, LA

“A Masterpiece!” – Amazon
“This is the best of what’s happening in blues today. A faithful re-creator of classic blues and a revolutionary who challenges the status quo.” – Chicago Sun -Times

Chris Thomas King is now one of most recognized and successful blues artist of his generation. The multi Grammy award winning musician and actor grew up as a child-prodigy guitarist learning the blues at the feet of some of the music’s masters at the Baton Rouge, Louisiana club Tabby’s Blues Box, owned by his father, Rockin’ Tabby Thomas. The “Red Mud Sessions” was a return to his delta blues roots.

The all-acoustic “Red Mud Sessions” is the album, which helped to gain the attention of the Coen brothers who was casting the movie “O Brother Where Art Thou?”

The “Red Mud Sessions” CD has been Digitally remastered to reveal the warmth and soul of King acoustic guitars. A DVD titled “Juke Joint, you can never go home again” is will be released at the same time and features Chris performing several song from this legendary album. Red Mud Sessions was nominated for a Hand Award for “Best Acoustic Blues Album” in the year 2000.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom King.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	712
I hope you would check out some of his music. Tabby Thomas his father is a legend in his own time. This is a LA boy that is a great talent. Please feel free to add to this thread any artist that you like and some info on them.
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I had never heard of this man until the movie. Some of the greatest musicians are little known due to lack of super agents to boost them up the charts!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 213 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I had never heard of this man until the movie. Some of the greatest musicians are little known due to lack of super agents to boost them up the charts!
I agree Pocahontas. May I call you Pokie like the others on the board ? What kind of music do you like ? Do you like any old music or just what is up to date ? I have some good music but I do not know how to post it. I will try to google up a link Yes it worked ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIoLb1ceN9k
Neville Marten - The B.B. King Box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Yzw...elated&search=
This is fantastic so check it out
Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
guitarman
Advanced Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan Biography

Stephen ("Stevie") Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990), born in Dallas, Texas, was an American blues guitarist, credited with reviving interest in blues in the 1980s. His broad appeal made him one of America's most influential electric blues guitarists. He was the younger brother of Jimmie Vaughan.

Vaughan was born and raised in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas, Texas, but dropped out of Kimball High School and moved to Austin to pursue music. Vaughan's talent caught the attention of guitarist Johnny Winter, and blues-club owner Clifford Antone.

Name:	Steve Vaughn.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	713

Vaughan's first recording band was called Paul Ray and the Cobras. They played at clubs and bars in Austin during the mid-1970s, and released one single. Vaughan later recorded two other singles under the band name The Cobras. Following the break-up of The Cobras, he formed Triple Threat in late 1975, which included bassist Jackie Newhouse, drummer Chris Layton, and vocalist Lou Ann Barton. Barton left the band in 1978 to pursue a solo career, and the three remaining members started performing under the name Double Trouble, inspired by an Otis Rush song of the same name. Vaughan became the band's lead singer.

Tommy Shannon, the bass player on Johnny Winter's early albums, replaced Newhouse in 1981. A popular Austin act, Vaughan soon attracted the attention of musicians David Bowie and Jackson Browne, and played on albums with both. Bowie first caught Vaughan at the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival, where some members of the audience booed the band, probably because they disliked Double Trouble's hard blues sound. (The crowd response was quite different when they appeared at the festival again in 1985.) Bowie then featured Vaughan on his 1983 album Let's Dance.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's debut album was released in 1983. The critically acclaimed Texas Flood, produced by John Hammond, featured the top-20 hit "Pride and Joy" and sold 500,000 copies, earning the band a Gold Record. The band's next albums, Couldn't Stand the Weather (1984) and Soul to Soul (1985), also "went gold", but did not receive as much critical acclaim as their debut.

Great links to a GREAT guitar artist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWu2enSsD58
Just one more please Pride and Joy ! This is much shorter in length and most of you should know this one !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWsWD...elated&search=
Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Thanks for the heads up on the Chris Thomas King music there guitarman. I checked out that album on iTunes and listened to a few clips. I liked the music alright.. but his vocals.. I don't know.. just a little to high pitched for me and a little too polished.. I like my blues a little more gritty.. a little more whiskey soaked as it were

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
I agree Pocahontas. May I call you Pokie like the others on the board ? What kind of music do you like ? Do you like any old music or just what is up to date ? I have some good music but I do not know how to post it. I will try to google up a link Yes it worked ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIoLb1ceN9k
If you've got some mp3 files you'd like to upload.. you can go to your "My SBLive!" link and then go to "podcasts" and you could upload some mp3s that way..

So I watched that first youtube link.. there Kings vocals sound a bit more like I might like.. compared to that album I checked out earlier today.. but what's with the lack of a live band, and the use of a freakin' D.J. and the records

the B.B. King box was informative..
Old 06-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Bowie first caught Vaughan at the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival, where some members of the audience booed the band, probably because they disliked Double Trouble's hard blues sound. (The crowd response was quite different when they appeared at the festival again in 1985.) Bowie then featured Vaughan on his 1983 album Let's Dance.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's debut album was released in 1983. The critically acclaimed Texas Flood, produced by John Hammond, featured the top-20 hit "Pride and Joy" and sold 500,000 copies, earning the band a Gold Record. The band's next albums, Couldn't Stand the Weather (1984) and Soul to Soul (1985), also "went gold", but did not receive as much critical acclaim as their debut.
Ol' Stevie Ray.. he was the man.. such an incredible guitarist, and real joy to watch play.. but not only could he play the guitar, he had an incredible voice as well.

I've seen videos from those two different performances from the Montreux Jazz Festival. Got a few other DVDs as well.. just fun to watch him play.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Enjoyed the video clip of Chris Thomas King. I'll have to download some of that onto my iPod.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Those were indeed interesting clips! I'll have to admit I'm more of a modern guitar girl! I like Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, oh and are you familiar with Keith Urban? He's country but he's awesome on guitar and piano....easy on the eyes too...
Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it helps if they are easy on the eyes!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Those were indeed interesting clips! I'll have to admit I'm more of a modern guitar girl! I like Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, oh and are you familiar with Keith Urban? He's country but he's awesome on guitar and piano....easy on the eyes too...
LOL so Joe Perry, Jimmy Page and Keith Richards are "modern" compared to who exactly ??
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
LOL so Joe Perry, Jimmy Page and Keith Richards are "modern" compared to who exactly ??
Guess none of them are exactly spry nowadays except for Keith Urban! I was comparing to BB King though! Of course he's a great in his own right!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Guess none of them are exactly spry nowadays except for Keith Urban! I was comparing to BB King though! Of course he's a great in his own right!
LOL yes.. ol' Riley B. does have a few years on keith richards.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
guitarman
Advanced Member

Quote:
So you like to rock Pocahontas I had to look up Keith Urban. Is that really his last name ?

Name:	keith-urban-crunk-horns.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	720
Now on the other hand who does not know who Keith Richards is
You got to like anybody that can play a guitar like he does.

Name:	keith_richards_afp_224601g.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	721
I am glad to see some post on different kinds of music much better topic than politics
Just one more from Guitarman !
Name:  Hopkins.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  11.2 KB
Lighting Hopkins !
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

He is from down under...Australia that is!! The accent is great with the looks!
I could care less if he's wearing horns or not!! AND he really can play! You should check him out on CMT! Oh and yes is it obvious I love to rock out!?