Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Health

Notices

Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Research Studies Indicate Fast-Food Eaters Underestimate Calories

Take along your calculator next time you go out for that big burger, bucket of fries and super-sized drink.
CNN
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Supersize me?

Did anyone happen to catch the tv show "supersize me" about the guy who ate at McDonalds 3 times a day for 30 days? I was amazed at the results.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
geodood, what did you say over in your coffee blog?

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/sho..._id=62&gid2=24

"garbage in - garbage out"
This seems true too me for fast food or roasting your coffee.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
On second thought... make that a CHEESEBURGER.. UGHH.
Wendy's used to have this great Fruit salad that they sold. It was really good, but I read recently they quit selling it, because not enough people were ordering it. Preferring the CHEESEBURGERS instead.

I wrote an email to Wendy's HQ letting them know what I thought about that.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Latenight, it is probably not in the best interest of the fast food provider to serve low-fat healthy foods, because these are less addictive and not as prone to keeping repeat customers coming back for more. Subway seems to be the only one who has taken a different approach and have risen to become the top franchise with over 20,000 locations, even more than McDonalds. Seems like Subway would have more "low fat" competition than that. Temporary menu items are probably lame attempts to keep Subway from taking over the world by sneeking in fat and sugar into salads, etc. Its a conspiracy I tell ya! LOL, for the record I like a juicy cheeseburger with my raw organic hippy salad!
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
cariniabean

Rep Power: 0 cariniabean is on a distinguished road cariniabean is on a distinguished road
Oh....fast food.....

I have Supersize Me on DVD. I can also see McD's out the back window of my house if I look. When I feel a craving, I watch Supersize Me. Unfortunately, sometimes it makes the craving worse. It's not McD's I crave, luckily, just potatoes. Just the Irish/German blood, I guess. Supersize Me is must-see for anyone who eats fast food regularly. When you see Morgan's experience, you start to see it in your own fast food experiences. The "McTummy," for instance.

If you ARE going to eat fast food, try the following:

1. Take off the top bun and eat your burger open face.

2. Throw half of your fries in the garbage before you start to eat. A waste of money? Perhaps. But savings in the future when you don't have to pay for an electric wheel chair (read:Hover-round).

3. Drink water, diet soda, or tea - stay away from sugary soda, which will give you calories, but no fullness.

4. The most healthful fast food is Wendy's. While a small chili there has 220 calories, it also has Vitamin C, protein, 5g of fiber!, Vitamin A, 15% of RDA Iron, and Calcium. I've lost weight eating it when I get fast food cravings. Get a small, and don't get anything else. I keep cans of pineapple and lite apricot halves at work, so when I'm done with my chili, I eat a serving of apricots and the plant material keeps me feeling full until dinner.

Also, Quiznos has a Honey Bourbon Chicken sandwich (if you look at their site, it's a "lite" sandwich). It doesn't taste light, but get a large and have the lady/man cut it into 3 pieces instead of the usual 2. You end up with three sandwiches slightly smaller than a small and less than 329 calories each. They also have SoBe Lean Diet Cranberry Grapefruit - sounds odd, tastes WONDERFUL and is low to zero calories. Just eat some fruit, veggies, or 1/3 bag of Baked! Lays with it.

You can eat healthfully at fast food restaurants, but not very many. Certainly NOTHING at McDonald's can be eaten to stay healthy. Even their SALADS! are high calories and little more than lettuce. I don't get it. What is their secret addictive ingredient that skyrockets the cals? Heroin? Sheesh. (Besides, thought that made you thin. )

Links:
Calorie-count.com
NutritionData.com

You can look at fast food calories easily on the two sites linked above.

Last edited by cariniabean; 01-27-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention Quiznos.
cariniabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future

All good info there cariniabean, and welcome to Shreveport Bossier Live ! Always nice to see new members on board.

I'm certainly no dietary expert, but you are so right, that McD is dangerous stuff. I started eating a lot of those subway sandwiches for lunch. Whether or not I ever lose any weight out of the deal, I don't know, but I know I feel better eating a sandwich from there, than compared to some greasy hamburger and fries from somewhere else.

So what's with "cariniabean" ?

go saints!

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote