Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Entertainment

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
New Mellencamp song angers Jena mayor

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps.../1130/Sports01

Quote:
A video in which rapper-actor Mos Def asked students around the country to walk out Oct. 1 to support the "Jena Six" escaped comment by this town's mayor. But when Hoosier rocker John Mellencamp sang, "Jena, take your nooses down," he took issue.
"The town of Jena has for months been mischaracterized in the media and portrayed as the epicenter of hatred, racism and a place where justice is denied," Jena Mayor Murphy R. McMillin wrote in a statement on town letterhead faxed on Friday to The Associated Press.
He said he had previously stayed quiet, hoping that the town's courtesy to people who have visited over the past year would speak for itself. "However, the Mellencamp video is so inflammatory, so defamatory, that a line has been crossed and enough is enough."

I don't understand why these entertainers has to get involved and people have to keep this crap going.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Take your nooses down? Like they're still up or something? That tree isn't even there, anymore.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
If Mellencamp sang for them to take the nooses down, then he must not be a supporter of the violence. This offends Jena's mayor?

I've got a solution right here and now. Take the nooses down, convict the @$$holes behind that beating like any other criminal, tell Jackson and Sharpton to mind their own business, and move along.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Take your nooses down? Like they're still up or something? That tree isn't even there, anymore.
Metaphors, Joe. I'm sure Mellencamp didn't mean the specific nooses hanging on that specific tree.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Mellencamp is stirring the pot. He is using the fact that he is a singer in a band to draw the media and feel like he is in the know Yet another case of politics mixed in the music

Click image for larger version

Name:	zebra-picture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1563

A Zebra dies and arrives at the Pearly Gates. As he enters, he asks

St. Peter, "I have a question that's haunted me all of my days on earth.

Am I white with black stripes, or am I black with white stripes?"

St. Peter said, "That's a question only God can answer." So the zebra went
off in search of God.

When he found Him, the zebra asked, "God, please - I must know. Am I white
with black stripes, or am I black with white stripes?"

God simply replied "You are what you are."

The zebra returned to see St. Peter once more, who asked him, "Well, did
God straighten out your query for you?"
The zebra looked puzzled.

"No sir, God simply said 'You are what you are.'" St. Peter smiled and said
to the zebra, "Well then, there you are. You are white with black stripes."

The zebra asked St. Peter, "How do you know that for certain?"

"Because," said St. Peter, "If you were black with white stripes, God would
have said, "You is what you is."

If you laugh at this, Al Sharp ton & Jesse will be on your ass.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
Metaphors, Joe. I'm sure Mellencamp didn't mean the specific nooses hanging on that specific tree.

Anime, I think you should check out the song and the video before you defend Mellencamp. He may not mean those nooses but he is defintely stirring the pot with a big spoon.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
This has gotten so out of control! I think the media and entertainers are enjoying putting our state down! Oh and don't forget the $$$ that will be made over making us all look like backwoods Klansmen yet again!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
Anime, I think you should check out the song and the video before you defend Mellencamp. He may not mean those nooses but he is defintely stirring the pot with a big spoon.
I'm not actually defending him as a pot-stirer, but it's suspicious that Jena's mayor said nothing until someone advocated against the nooses. Personally, I think Mellencamp is crossing into Jackson and Sharpton's territory (the agitators).

These music artists just need to stay out of politics. Remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
I'm not actually defending him as a pot-stirer, but it's suspicious that Jena's mayor said nothing until someone advocated against the nooses. Personally, I think Mellencamp is crossing into Jackson and Sharpton's territory (the agitators).

These music artists just need to stay out of politics. Remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks?
Do not forget Da Bruce Springsteen I agree with your post Anime. I know many of the bands/singers are good at singing but I would guess the reason they are doing what they do is because they could not do much in school. When some one living in a glass bubble thinks they need to agitate or push their political agenda there is a big price to pay. Shut up and sing
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:

[/quote] He said he had previously stayed quiet, hoping that the town's courtesy to people who have visited over the past year would speak for itself. "However, the Mellencamp video is so inflammatory, so defamatory, that a line has been crossed and enough is enough.[/quote]
He says why he hasn't said anything before now.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
He says why he hasn't said anything before now.
I got that part. I'm just not sure I buy it.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Everybody has a right to voice their opinion not matter what it might be. When someone in any business or music uses their status to push a certain agenda and particularly a political one it is wrong. When their agenda is to insult our country I find it offensive to "me" ! Why can not we agree do disagree It is about the only free super power left on the planet and it is worth fighting our ass for and make no mistakes they the enemy would love to see us the "haves" turn into the have knots !!!!!!!!!!!! and yes there are plenty of enemy's from within.