Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Pet Food Massive Recall

Menu Foods is recalling more than 60 million cans and packages of cat and dog food.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
It's a good thing I rarely buy the canned or pouch cat food. I normally buy Deli Cat that comes in a plastic jug.

By the way, this is my baby! Her name is Uriko. She is a black and gray tiger-stripe tabby of about a year and a half old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uriko.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	151
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

ABC NEWS -- Mar 25 2007 12:11 PM
Pet Food Maker to Take Financial Responsibility for Pet Deaths From Poisoning
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
It's good to hear they are going to do that BUT what value do you put on your pet's life? I absolutely worship the ground that Christian, Chanel, and Rosie walk on. How would you pay me for losing them? I will be curious to see how this all works its way out.

Christian and Chanel= Yorkies
Rosie= Kuvasz (who will eat your leg off!)

My children always tell me that when they die they want to come back as one of my dogs so they can have the good life!
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Do you treat you dogs better than your children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
It's good to hear they are going to do that BUT what value do you put on your pet's life? I absolutely worship the ground that Christian, Chanel, and Rosie walk on. How would you pay me for losing them? I will be curious to see how this all works its way out.

Christian and Chanel= Yorkies
Rosie= Kuvasz (who will eat your leg off!)

My children always tell me that when they die they want to come back as one of my dogs so they can have the good life!
That sounds like something a PETA person would do. I know my sister in-law does that very thing. Rosie the Kuvasz would only bite your leg off if you had a dog biscuit in your hand
Isaac

Last edited by Isaac-Saxxon; 03-26-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
LOL, I've said it for years.. I want to come back as MY dog. For any dog I've ever had, has been spoiled rotten
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Do you treat you dogs better than your children
Oh Absofreakin'lutely.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I don't have any kids yet, so Uriko is my only baby. She kneads my shoulder everynight while I'm in bed (no cramps here! ). If I let her, she'd knead it until it was sore.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Exclamation More Pet Food Brands being recalled

This story doesn't seem to be getting any better.

List of recalled pet foods grows longer

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recall of contaminated pet foods expanded Saturday to include a new brand, even as investigators puzzled over how a chemical called melamine would kill dogs and cats.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Co. said it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes.

Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China. (Read details of Purina recall)
Quote:
Nestlé Purina PetCare Company today announced it is voluntarily recalling all sizes and varieties of its ALPO® Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided to Purina by the same company that also supplied Menu Foods. The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.

Importantly, no Purina brand dry pet foods are affected by the recall - including ALPO Prime Cuts dry. In addition, no other Purina dog food products, no Purina cat food products, Purina treat products or Purina Veterinary Diet products are included in this recall, nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten supply.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

ABC NEWS -- Apr 2 2007 10:25 AM
Cats Fare Worse in Food Contamination
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

KTAL -- Apr 2 2007 11:27 AM
More Pet Food Recalled
Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

KSLA -- Apr 5 2007 12:07 PM
Cooking Pet Food: What You Should Know
Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Exclamation More pet food being recalled.. YET AGAIN

I swear, I don't what I'd do, if I found out I poisoned my dog because of some bad pet food.. Damn..

FDA: Pet chews could be contaminated with salmonella

Story Highlights
Quote:
• FDA found salmonella in pet chew made by T.W. Enterprises
• Salmonella can cause infections in dogs, cats and people
• Pet chew contamination not related to nationwide recall tied to toxic wheat gluten
Quote:
Pet owners need to avoid certain pet chews because they could be contaminated with salmonella, the Food and Drug Administration warned Thursday.

The contaminated product -- American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews and Dog Chews -- was manufactured by T.W. Enterprises of Ferndale, Washington.

Consumers who have purchased the treats should "dispose of them in a safe manner (e.g., in a securely covered trash receptacle)," the FDA said in a written statement. (FDA statementexternal link)

Thursday's warning comes after the FDA tested packages of three different sizes of beef treats made by T.W. Enterprises and found salmonella in one of them.

Salmonella can cause infections in dogs, cats and people, and the bacteria can be transferred to people who handle the treats, especially if they do not wash their hands after handling the product, the FDA said.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #14
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Scary to think about losing your pet

I love my 4 dogs like my own children. Those poor pet owners who have lost their dogs to feeding them poisoned food! I can't imagine! It's about as bad as everyone feeding their kids tainted peanut butter! What's going on in our food processing and packaging plants???
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Exclamation Pet food recall EXPANDED

Pet food recall expanded to include Canada-made products.

Quote:
•Canada factory found to have used tainted ingredient
•Company "completely shocked" that tainted ingredient went to Canada
•Large veterinary chain sees 30 percent increase in kidney failure

Quote:
"After being repeatedly reassured by Menu Foods, as reinforced by FDA public statements, that none of the contaminated wheat gluten had made its way to Canada, we were completely shocked to learn yesterday that this was not the case," Xavier Unkovic, Royal Canin Canada's chief executive officer, said in a statement.
Menu Foods was the first of at least six companies to recall pet food and treats made with the tainted Chinese wheat gluten. It alone has recalled 100 brands of pet foods, sold throughout North America under its private and major labels. It posted Tuesday an updated list of recalled products on its Web site, http://menufoods.com/recall/.

There's going to be a lot of sick cats and dogs out there before this is all over with.