Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Computers & Internet

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 235 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Need to connect 2 monitors to 1 computer.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to do this? I need one for a slideshow while the other is for daily use. The slideshow will be on 24/7. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Santabot
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Santabot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to do this? I need one for a slideshow while the other is for daily use. The slideshow will be on 24/7. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
I don't believe that's possible, because if you connect 2 monitors to the same computer, both monitors will display the same thing. You can't split the computer's functionality entirely on 2 different monitors (there are ways, but not like you need it)

You can, however, use 2 computers on one monitor or use 2 computers and 2 monitors on 1 keyboard/mouse set, OR you could connect your computer to a television, but that would only be the same case as 2 monitors on one computer.

Sorry, but I don't think it's possible, you'd need 2 separate computers to display 2 separate things on either 1 or 2 monitors.

I say just get a scrap computer and install it just to play a slideshow, and the other computer can be used for daily use.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Actually, Windows XP and up has dual monitor support so long as your video card does too. The instructors' computers at BPCC have them and they're AWESOME! You can stretch your desktop across two or more monitors if you want. It's a real time saver if you're some kind of software or media developer.

You just need a video card that has dual-monitor support too. I've got one myself on my home computer. Dual-monitor cards usually go for $100 or so and come with both a VGA jack and a DVI jack for plugging in 2 monitors. Just get yourself a DVI/VGA adapter and you'll be able to plug one monitor into each jack.

Once you have two monitors plugged in, right click on your desktop, click "Properties," select the "Settings" tab, and you should see a newly activated option that allows you to stretch your desktop across two monitors. Once you activate this, you should be good to go. Your mouse will be able to jump from one screen to the other as if there was nothing between them.

I Googled this up for you, Isabella. Good luck!
http://www.cyberinkdesign.com/dual_monitors.htm

Last edited by AnimeSpirit; 04-30-2007 at 12:55 AM.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 235 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Thank you so much Anime!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Isabella
Advanced Member

Anime or anyone else with knowledge, do you think it is possible to have one monitor about 15 ft. to 20 ft. away from the computer and other monitor?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
I have a GeForce 6200 OC with Dual monitor support, current cost, about $60.00 (keep in mind it's only video, not sound and video). I use my TV as the second monitor....great for watching vids or playing games. This particular card allows you to do multiple displays: Clone, which makes monitors 1 and 2 identical. Vertical or horizontal span, which stretches the desktop across two monitors either vertically or horizontally. Dualview, which is essentially two different desktops on one PC. My experience has been that clone is the best option, especially if your monitors are going to be in separate rooms (imagine having to use monitor 2 to change some settings and it's 20' away in another room (Dualview or Monitor1 dies)). If you set Monitor 2 to fullscreen, then you can watch your slide show in a minimized window on monitor 1, allowing you to continue working with the computer, while the slide show would be displayed "fullscreen" on monitor 2, which in my case, is a 27" RCA. My configuration (PC and monitor2 in same room) 2 is set up so that I can use my 5.1 surround sound computer speakers for sound, however I have it hooked up at my Dad's (PC and monitor2 in different rooms)where the sound comes out of his TV so that he can use his remote control to regulate the sound volume. I achieved this simply by buying a line splitter....the sound is coming out of the computer and the TV simultaneously, but the PC is in another room.

The distance your second monitor is from the computer itself is limited only by the length of cable you want stretched out across the floor, and obviously, your ability to multitask while displaying video will be directly dependent on the power of your PC. I have a 2.6ghz with 1gig of RAM.....no problems here, but my Dad has a 2.8 with only 1/2 a gig of RAM......runs kinda sluggishly under the same conditions.

Now did someone say Slideshow?

Shivers Slideshow

Here's an example of something my brother did with some old b&w's from my mother's side of the family. The first pic is my Grandma's high school graduation, the second is my mother's, and around 4 minutes and 17 seconds you can see a pic of my Great, Great, Grandmother

BTW, 99% of these pictures are taken in Natchitoches and most of those at the same house my Grandmother still lives in today.

Last edited by BrainSmashR; 04-30-2007 at 06:47 AM.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Santabot
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Santabot
Thanks others for posting, I had seen earlier (I think) that isa was using win98? and I assumed there was no way she'd have a video card to support that. But I also thought she wanted to put 2 separate computers on 2 monitors.. but somehow 2 different OS would be displayed from the same computer's action.. How would you be able to split the computer's functionality into 2 entirely separate monitors based on what you want to show up on each one?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Isabella
Advanced Member

Thanks Brain. The monitors will be in the same room. It will be at my office and the monitor will be in the window. I figure we can get it set up with the monitors together then move the slide show to the window. I hope it will not be too hard. Two of us will be doing it. One young and one old. Can you figure out which one I am? HA HA.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Thanks Brain. The monitors will be in the same room. It will be at my office and the monitor will be in the window. I figure we can get it set up with the monitors together then move the slide show to the window. I hope it will not be too hard. Two of us will be doing it. One young and one old. Can you figure out which one I am? HA HA.
I would say you are the young one
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Isabella
Advanced Member

Why thank you kind sir.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I would say you are the young one
The shoe-throwing and arrow-shooting smilies are finally adjusting his attitude.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I bought a new video card last month with dual monitor support. Now all I need is another monitor!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Me too! I so wanna try it out. It would blow my mother and sister's minds because they have no idea computers can do that these days.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I would go crazy if I had to go back to a single monitor. How do people get any work done?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
The shoe-throwing and arrow-shooting smilies are finally adjusting his attitude.
Yes Anime it appears the attitude adjustments must be working! Isaac is becoming quite a hit with the ladies!!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote