Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Entertainment

Notices

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #16
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
You hit a note there rhertz. The old super slide Did some major time there. I think it sat where the old Dillards building was and there was Woolco I think It was in a white building where Burlington coat is located or was located. I think the slide might have been a traveling show this is all very sketchy I bet some one here will know the facts.
You nailed it pretty well Isaac....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
There was the superslide at the fairgrounds and something in the back of my memory remembers the one at SCity but then maybe not. If it wasn't where I-S remebers could it have been behind SCity or over on the east side where those buildings were added later? Another one to ask my little bro.
It was right were Dillards used to be. or maybe the Woolco parking lot. Of course a few years after that, super slides were everywhere. Probably at the state fair too. Six flags even had one anchored off the "oil derick" if you remember that tower. But they had the burlap sacks and everything.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
OK I-S and rhertz - a few dusted off synapses and that sounds about right.

and on the fairgrounds... your great site here has a pix of it.

And yeah - the Six flags one too - check. Anyone old and feeble enuff to recall the six flags trees with spiral slides inside (also a burlap sack affair).
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Oh gosh I remember being so nervous climbing up those steps because the slide was so high! I recall getting airborne too. Does the fair still offer a newer/safer version of that slide?

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #20
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Oh gosh I remember being so nervous climbing up those steps because the slide was so high! I recall getting airborne too. Does the fair still offer a newer/safer version of that slide?
I wonder if the city/fairgrounds owned that slide as it was a permanent fixture...You'd have to have your folks sign a waiver or something today...

The spot today is empty - just a lot.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #21
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
OK I-S and rhertz - a few dusted off synapses and that sounds about right.

and on the fairgrounds... your great site here has a pix of it.

And yeah - the Six flags one too - check. Anyone old and feeble enuff to recall the six flags trees with spiral slides inside (also a burlap sack affair).
Oh cool, yeah the fairgrounds had one that hung around longer than the fair did as I recall... The palm trees do look kind of odd in the picture...

But the recolletion of the spiral slides at six flags blows my mind. I remember but never would have had you not mentioned it. Wasn't that on Skull Island? Anyone remember that big skull? We walked cross a bridge held up with barrels floating on the murky bluegreen (dyed) water... but at night, Skull Island was really lit up and looked really cool!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #22
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Skull Island at night was all lit up in red, white and blue it seems! That is a wonderful memory from long ago!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #23
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Skull Island at night was all lit up in red, white and blue it seems! That is a wonderful memory from long ago!
Do you remember the spiral slide inside the hollowed out (fiberglass) tree? They would give you a burlap sack to slide down on... It got dark for a moment. I was always afraid of a pile-up and getting stuck but that never happened. My favorite Six Flags ride would have to be the Spelunkers Cave.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Yes those were simpler times when a slide was all that was needed for entertainment. I do remember the Spilunker's cave and those little guys in there with ice picks and it was COLD too. There was an urban legend later that a snake dropped in somebody's boat while in the cave and bit and killed them during the ride. That kinda put a damper on it for me.

Jennifer Aniston
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 AM   #25
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Yes those were simpler times when a slide was all that was needed for entertainment. I do remember the Spilunker's cave and those little guys in there with ice picks and it was COLD too. There was an urban legend later that a snake dropped in somebody's boat while in the cave and bit and killed them during the ride. That kinda put a damper on it for me.
Now, now Pocahontas
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken_Little.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1848
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #26
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
LOL, I bet Mr Pokey had fun after than. I know that I could not resist tickling your leg in the darkness of "The Cave" as it was called. There were always a few girls screaming which adds to the overall excitement of the ride.