Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Entertainment

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #16
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Do y'all remember the labyrinth that was impossible to win!? You had to rotate that board around with those little knobs and try not to let the marble drop in the holes! No way!

Attachment 1917
Bravo Pocs - labyrinth - thx for the memories!
Chess - had a friend, Jim M. in HS that played me and 3 others all at one blind folded. He beat me and I think the others too. Look up Byrd Chess Club 1975.
Backgammon -A GF loved to play that and Go. We'd always play it on the floor. Her mother used to wryly comment that it was not typical for ruthless opponents to play a game snuggled together on the same side of the game board.

Then there's that... not a board game... thing my wife does with the neighborhood ladies. Google the string "women dice loud" and BUNCO is one of the top hits. I swear, when she hosts the bunco night at our house the cackle [helped along with wine and booze] is so loud we can't hear the TV on the 2nd floor. So now the boys and I learned to clear out.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Click image for larger version

Name:	ouija.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1918
This game frightened me! There were always scary stories related to it!

There's this other contraption/game thing that I can't recall the name of.
You had this wooden base with circular slots in it. Above it were two metal rods that you manipulated in and out to make this large steel marble roll up and down then you tried to drop it into the slots. It got harder the further apart you pulled the metal arms. I think one version had planet names on it and others had numbers for points value. Oh well I haven't been able to find a pic. due to not knowing what to call the thing.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Attachment 1918

You had this wooden base with circular slots in it. Above it were two metal rods that you manipulated in and out to make this large steel marble roll up and down then you tried to drop it into the slots. It got harder the further apart you pulled the metal arms. I think one version had planet names on it and others had numbers for points value. Oh well I haven't been able to find a pic. due to not knowing what to call the thing.
Pokie is burning the midnight oil with familiar spirits Anybody ever play battleship ??
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #19
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:

Shoot the Moon!
Ours had the names of major world cities.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Yes that is most certainly it! Thanks j.nc!

I loved Battleship too IS! The original one with the pegs was much better than the electronic one later!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #21
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Then came computer games. Duke Nukem, Doom, Heretic, Descent, Quake, Quake II and Hexen. I gave it up for reading and enjoying the outdoors. The board games I must say would much less stressing. I will still go with Chess.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #22
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Anybody ever play battleship ??
I'm sure every boy from our generation played battleship at least once. I even remember the tv commercial.. "You sunk my battleship"..

How about "operation"?

Name:	operation_game1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1927

And "Mousetrap"?

Name:  mousetrap.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  49.5 KB
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #23
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
How about Risk? Now there was a saga of a game! Could take days to finish. Or how about Stratego? That was a crowd pleaser.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #24
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

I loved Operation but it made me jump everytime that buzzer went off so I wasn't very good at it due to jittery hands!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #25
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Attachment 1918
Me too Pokey! A neighbor had one of these and we would have sayonces (sp?) in the dark with a candle and I would always run away...

Quote:
I remember that thing. I have no idea what it was called. This pic is as close as I could find.

Name:  ShoottheMoon.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  134.0 KB
Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #26
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Me too Pokey! A neighbor had one of these and we would have sayonces (sp?) in the dark with a candle and I would always run away...

I remember that thing. I have no idea what it was called. This pic is as close as I could find.

Attachment 1932
I hated seances too!

j.nc already posted me a link to Shoot the Moon and his pic was the exact same one I had. Fun to think back isn't it?

Jennifer Aniston
Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #27
j.nc
Advanced Member

Quote:
j.nc already posted me a link to Shoot the Moon and his pic was the exact same one I had....

--------------
more board games from my dim past and maybe yours too.

Candyland [just recalled always cheating my little bro by faking a 7 roll fromthe starting point so i could take the "rainbow bridge" shortcut]

Uncle Wiggly (this one ws kinda freaky for a little kid - click to look at some of the graphics! The Skeeziks in our version looked like a mutated crow)

Chutes and Ladders: Don't hitsquare 87!!!!

Last edited by j.nc; 12-04-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #28
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

I never did quite "get" Uncle Wiggly! It seemed complicated and it seems like we just skipped over several parts and made up our own rules!

I thought of a couple more remember Trouble and that plastic dome that you clicked to roll the dice? And what about Sorry?

Name:	game-trouble.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1937

Name:	sorry.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1938

Jennifer Aniston
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #29
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I thought of a couple more remember Trouble and that plastic dome that you clicked to roll the dice? And what about Sorry?
Yeah those were old classics... Played them both many times.

This isn't a board game, but I used to love the Mattel Thing Makers... There were several themes. The one below as called "Creepy Crawlers" which was my favorite... You would squirt "goo" into a mold and bake it and presto, a rubbery thing is born!

Name:	tmcreepycr.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1939
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Great memories rhertz!!! I loved those creepy crawlers. I can't tell you how many times I burnt myself baking those guys! It's amazing what toys we were allowed to play with back then.
Remember those home Chemistry sets and those wood burning tools? It's a wonder we didn't blow up or burn down the neighborhood?

Jennifer Aniston