Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Entertainment

Notices

Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #16
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Oh no it's not about the seats there were actually 2 ferris wheels connected! So when they rotated upwards one sat on top of the other and your head was in the stars! It was creepy when they were unloading and you were stopped way up at the peak! It was okay though if you were with a hot date!
Name:  Ferris128_192.gif
Views: 28
Size:  9.8 KB

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KSLA -- Oct 26 2007 10:29 AM
Officials Begin Using Metal Detectors To Keep People Safe At State Fair
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

Shreveport Times -- Nov 7 2007 1:24 PM
Weather, crime cooperate with state fair
Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
I tell my kids about this one and for a moment they look at me like PETA is about to burst through the door - but they love the concept: remember the ducking slide?

The year we moved here from up North my Dad took off from work to check the fair on his way home. He didn't realize the fair was segregated and had picked the one day to go when he was the only white person in the crowd it seemed. I read that it was called "colored day" and was on the first day of the fair - Monday.

rhertz: Mrs Pedro - that sounds real familiar. What did the Pie Wagon look like? [Edit: My brother said she later went to Byrd]

Duck slide from another fair:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1775  

Last edited by j.nc; 11-07-2007 at 07:12 PM.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #20
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
rhertz: Mrs Pedro - that sounds real familiar. What did the Pie Wagon look like? [Edit: My brother said she later went to Byrd]
Something like this...

Name:  BuddyLPieWagon1012057582t.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  1.8 KB

Mrs Pedro was the head of the cafeteria at South Highlands, and Mr Pedro did something food related too I think. But he always had his antique cars on display at the State Fair. Another antique collector was Malcom "Bud" Dutton who had a Model T and a Torpedo at the Fair. I also remember seeing a Model A and a Duesenberg. Old cars were a big deal back in the exhibit building.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #21
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
What were some of y'alls favorite rip off games at the fair? This one takes me WAY back, but I remember it like yesterday! Never could get the big teddy bear!

Click image for larger version

Name:	36829241_95e16d8b59.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1777

Jennifer Aniston
Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #22
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Never could get the big teddy bear!
I enjoyed the ducks when I was really small. But I "won" a few teddy bears at the squirt gun booth where you make the balloon pop by hitting the clown in the mouth with the water gun. But I had to trade up to get a nice sized bear. Cost about $10-15 per bear so I'm sure that even "winners" are loosers in the big scheme of things. (probably cost a dollar in china) But hey, I won those bears and that is what counted in my mind..
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #23
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

I remember the ring toss over the coke bottles game. You'd be all fired up thinking you'd won then the carney would remove the ring and say you'd lost because the ring wasn't all the way in position. Then there were the milk bottles made of lead or some heavy substance that couldn't be completely knocked over. I wonder if they've changed at all?

Jennifer Aniston
Old 11-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #24
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

Shreveport Times -- Nov 11 2007 8:38 PM
State Fair winds down today