Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Mace Windu digs Shreveport-Bossier

seriously, Samuel L. Jackson was on the Late Show with David Letterman, to promote his movie "Black Snake Moan", but apparently spent a good bit of his time talking about the Shreveport-Bossier Area, which he was here recently while filming another movie "The Cleaner".

It's supposed to air this Friday.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Was he the only black Jedi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob

seriously, Samuel L. Jackson was on the Late Show with David Letterman, to promote his movie "Black Snake Moan", but apparently spent a good bit of his time talking about the Shreveport-Bossier Area, which he was here recently while filming another movie "The Cleaner".

It's supposed to air this Friday.
They where few and far between in that movie. He is a good actor and did a real good job in Star Wars. Glad to see he liked Shreveport. He needs to learn to use that light saber.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Was he the only black Jedi ?
No. If you watch Espisode 1 like I did last night, you may have noticed that right after the "control ship" was distroyed, they pictured another black Jedi flying a fighter craft. There are lots of Black Jedi's I'm sure. Do you think Lucas would be a racist? In fact, there are all colors of Jedi which come in all sorts of species from around the gallaxy.

Regardless, I think Jackson is a great actor. I first saw him in a small role as a robber on Eddie Murphy's movie "Coming to America". By the way, Jackson is supposed to be on the Tonight Show this Friday (I think) and he is rumored to talk a lot about Shreveport and how much he liked it while filming his latest movie. I think it is great that someone would say something postive about our area on national TV for a change. This Katrina fiasco has not made us look very good in the public eye.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
The big mistake is............

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
No. If you watch Espisode 1 like I did last night, you may have noticed that right after the "control ship" was distroyed, they pictured another black Jedi flying a fighter craft. There are lots of Black Jedi's I'm sure. Do you think Lucas would be a racist? In fact, there are all colors of Jedi which come in all sorts of species from around the gallaxy.

Regardless, I think Jackson is a great actor. I first saw him in a small role as a robber on Eddie Murphy's movie "Coming to America". By the way, Jackson is supposed to be on the Tonight Show this Friday (I think) and he is rumored to talk a lot about Shreveport and how much he liked it while filming his latest movie. I think it is great that someone would say something postive about our area on national TV for a change. This Katrina fiasco has not made us look very good in the public eye.
North LA is not South LA and people from out of state think we are like right next door and the culture and landscape as we all know is very different. Now if Shreveport/Bossier could be a break away state well not such a good idea but still a idea !
Isaac
Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
North LA is not South LA and people from out of state think we are like right next door and the culture and landscape as we all know is very different. Now if Shreveport/Bossier could be a break away state well not such a good idea but still a idea !
Isaac
sure why not North LA and South LA , Louisiana Yankees
I'd rather that, than the idea i've heard floated around before about seceding to Texas. Nothing against Texas, but I prefer my Louisiana heritage, for all it's worth. Where else you gonna find a Santa hat wearin' Green Frog playin' the blues ??

edit: not to diss New Orleans. I like it plenty, and hope things can improve 'down yonder'. But I have always felt there is definitely a big difference between North LA and South LA, not to mention they talk funny down there

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I haven't found any hard evidence, but I heard Kevin Costner lives in Bossier City. I was working at the place where they held the crew party following the completion of The Guardian and one of the movie crew members told me that he moved here years ago because it was so peaceful here.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I haven't found any hard evidence, but I heard Kevin Costner lives in Bossier City. I was working at the place where they held the crew party following the completion of The Guardian and one of the movie crew members told me that he moved here years ago because it was so peaceful here.
I just find that too hard to believe. Sure I can understand if they are shooting a movie here, to temporarily buy a house here in town. But when you have your choice of living anywhere, and if you had no ties in town, ie: friends or family, then why the heck move to SHREVEPORT ?

I'm just asking
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I know for a fact that Kevin Costner owns a house in Shreveport. I have no idea if he owns one in Bossier, but he definitely owns and lives in one on this side of the river.

Maybe people that didn't grow up here don't realize how ****ty it is.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Maybe Kevin Costner likes here for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I know for a fact that Kevin Costner owns a house in Shreveport. I have no idea if he owns one in Bossier, but he definitely owns and lives in one on this side of the river.

Like maybe it is not some where else that is giving him pain in life such as a X or something else but this is a good hide away and he is well liked in Shreveport and that adds to the comfort zone here for him. Only a guess. I do agree joe with your thoughts on parts of this town.
Isaac
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Not only that, but Shreveport would no doubt be a good place to hide from over-zealous fans looking for their piece of Kevin Costner. Who would think to look for him in this little city in the South?
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
With all respect, and pardon my French, that is a ****ty thing to say. Please read my recent "featured article" on the Top 10 reasons to live in Shreveport-Bossier. I once spoke to a New Yorker who moved to Shreveport and was once stuck in 3-4 hours a day of traffic on his daily grind to work in NY and he moved to Shreveport and found heaven. Everything is relative.

I heard that Demi Moore did not like Shreveport (she had a house in Southern Trace) but I do hear that Kevin Costner and Samuel Jackson do indeed like our area. Who knows why? Maybe they are burnt out on the glitzy life of Tinsel Town and enjoy the deep heritage that is Louisiana. We may be be ugly at times but we are genuine. Few states can claim to be the home of a new genre of music for instance. (Jazz) LOL, in fact the US can barely claim more than Louisiana in that respect.

Last edited by geodood; 02-22-2007 at 10:41 PM.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Agree with ya there, Geo...for all of the criticisms I level at this place, it IS home...has been since 72' in my case. And there ARE worse places to live, much worse. For every negative you could list about Northern Louisiana, theres a positive aspect that cancels it out.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Agree with ya there, Geo...for all of the criticisms I level at this place, it IS home...has been since 72' in my case. And there ARE worse places to live, much worse. For every negative you could list about Northern Louisiana, theres a positive aspect that cancels it out.
Thanks Al. At least that is the way I like to see it! I never said we were perfect, but we are unique and rich with history among other things. I'll take a sweet Louisiana peach over a California peach any day. Our satsuma's are better too. And stawberries. And even our rice. Not to mention our crawfish are better than frozen Chinese species at cheaper prices. All are the best on the planet IMHO. Even Abita beer is better than Bud IMO. Tobasco and Lousiana hot sauce are staples. All this and more for around 3 cents an acre! Our forefathers made a real bargain if you ask me!
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Besides New Orleans, because we all know it's worse,....exactly where in our state would you consider worse than Shreveport?

....and while you're at it, what are the positive aspects to cancel out these 2005 crimes stats from Shreveport alone, not Shreveport/Bossier.

Violent Crimes-2249
Murder/non negligent manslaughter-39
Forcible Rape-151
Robbery-628
Aggravated Assault-1431
Property Crime-12878
Burglary-2969
Larceny-Theft-8893
Motor Vehicle theft=1016

Shreveport IS a nice place to visit, but no way in heck I'd choose to live there.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #15
Shrevenator

Rep Power: 0 Shrevenator has a spectacular aura about Shrevenator has a spectacular aura about
I'm watchin' Mace Windu on David Letterman right now!

All I can think to say is, "What happens in Shreveport stays in Shreveport!"
Shrevenator is offline   Reply With Quote