Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Any Cake Makers out there ?

We have a wedding soon a maybe another in the spring. Those cakes cost a ton and for the pre parties special cakes will be needed and we have hired out that big one. I know Mrs. Isaac can do some baking and has a flare for the confection. Let us see what you can post. I am going to steal one from the net to get this started. Cakes or recipes either one. What would you pick at you number one sweet tooth in cakes ??? Be GRAPHIC GIRLS I know you love that sugar after a long or good night.
Praline Cheesecake
Name:  Praline Cheesecake.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  19.2 KB
To kill for
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
Redneck wedding cake

Click image for larger version

Name:	Redneck wedding cake.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1339

Here is a low cost alternative!
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
http://www.sweetheavenlycakes.com

She is a local cake maker
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Jesse

Rep Power: 0 Jesse will become famous soon enough Jesse will become famous soon enough
Yum!

Congratulations to the Happy Couple!
I wish I could remember the lady that did our cake. She was out by cross lake. I just told her flavors, layers, rough sketch, and damn if it wasn't a perfect 5 layer wonder that still holds memories.....under a hundred bucks to boot! I can upload a picture or tell u about the flavors, but damned if I can remember her name. Shame on me......

JC
Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
It would be a major feat to find a cake at 100 bucks or under! They are 3-4 dollars a slice and if you are having a big wedding they can easily get up to $700 plus...maybe I should get into the cake making busine$$!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
My mother bakes the best chocolate chip cake. One of the main ingredients is chocolate pudding mix. The best part though is the icing. It is a thick fudgy layer with another layer of choc. chip morsels under that! It is always a hit for the fudge and cake lover! Absolutely divine!

Here's a close copy!

Name:  9250.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  19.5 KB

Jennifer Aniston
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
It would be a major feat to find a cake at 100 bucks or under! They are 3-4 dollars a slice and if you are having a big wedding they can easily get up to $700 plus...maybe I should get into the cake making busine$$!
Are you kidding me? I can decorate a cake and at that rate I should have made about $100 bucks yesterday off the one I did for fun. Just kidding. It was a birthday cake someone's daughters. They requested something querky for a girl so this is it. I only do this for fun.

Name:	zebracake1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	1341

You know Isaac, look in the Weddings section in the newspaper and see who is doing the cakes at the weddings listed. Try some of those people. We went to the Tilley-Hester wedding a couple of weekends ago and whomever did that cake was fantastic and I know her name was listed in the paper.

Last edited by Texasbelle; 08-11-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Very nice!! Did you take a class to learn how to do the decorating? That is very cute! I've often thought of taking a cake decorating class because I enjoy baking so much!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 08-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I did take a class at this cake store that is on Bert Kouns at St. Vincent. There is a great lady named Gloria that teaches there. You can also take classes at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I liked Gloria's though. Smaller classes and she's hilarious. It is a lot of fun and if you like to bake, you will be able to have something fun to do with your baking skills. Here is a website you need to visit for inspiration (it's free to be a member):

www.cakecentral.com

This is a picture of a cake I did for a friend's daughter's birthday. It was one I did when I was first learning. Oh I forgot I am still just learning!

Name:	Album Two 127.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	1343
Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Oh wow I love the purse cake!!! How often do the classes meet and how long before I could bake one that looks like that? I will look at the site more thoroughly...thanks!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

The classes meet once a week for maybe a month. There are classes during the day or the evening. The purse cake is easy actually. It looks much, much more difficult than reality. The letters I "painted" on with vodka (!) and coloring. The accents such as the handle were made with fondant which is like playing with clay.

I have a lot of fun doing the cakes. I only do them for family or friends and would love to do more of them. Today I am going to be baking individual cakes for my husband's staff. They were all drooling over the zebra cake so I am surprising them tomorrow!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
The classes meet once a week for maybe a month. There are classes during the day or the evening. The purse cake is easy actually. It looks much, much more difficult than reality. The letters I "painted" on with vodka (!) and coloring. The accents such as the handle were made with fondant which is like playing with clay.

I have a lot of fun doing the cakes. I only do them for family or friends and would love to do more of them. Today I am going to be baking individual cakes for my husband's staff. They were all drooling over the zebra cake so I am surprising them tomorrow!
I have enjoyed watching those baking shows and contests on the Food Network and that fondant does look to make things simpler...but I'm sure not easy by any means. What is the name of the place you took the lessons?
Your husband's staff will be very happy tomorrow!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Cake Creation Supplies 318-865-5088

A very nice Christian lady named Jean owns it. Take a class, you'll love it!!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Check out these cakes Pokie:

www.eleganttemptations.com
Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Cool cakes!! Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give that lady a call.

Jennifer Aniston