Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Family & Home

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #46
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
It is just not me. Country folks back years ago taught their kids what to touch and what not to. You don't remember ever seeing guys in pick-ups driving around with guns hanging on a rack in the window. The thing is they kept their guns there even when they were at home. I was hunting with my dad at the ageof 9 or 10 and we had our own gun a 410. We learned to shoot it and when not to. That was a way of life and I thinkthe now years are alot weirder than 30 years ago. We I was coon hunting, we use to go down a dirt road stick kitchen matches up in the sand and shoot them. If you could light the match then you could shoot a coon, because to sell the fur it needed to be shot in the head if it was shot anywhere else the hide was not as valueable. The matches developed very good aim.
Yeah, it was a common sight to see pickup drivers with long guns on a rack in their rear window. I'm not sure why we dont see that much these days. I wouldnt do it just because I'd worry someone would break into my truck and steal it. Maybe we'd see a renaissance if someone came out with a window rack that locked the gun securely. BTW Pie, what sort of gun were you shootin at the matches with? I could see ya doin that with a .22 rifle, but if ya can do it with a .410 shotgun ya just impressed the hell out of me!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #47
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
Yeah, it was a common sight to see pickup drivers with long guns on a rack in their rear window. I'm not sure why we dont see that much these days. I wouldnt do it just because I'd worry someone would break into my truck and steal it. Maybe we'd see a renaissance if someone came out with a window rack that locked the gun securely. BTW Pie, what sort of gun were you shootin at the matches with? I could see ya doin that with a .22 rifle, but if ya can do it with a .410 shotgun ya just impressed the hell out of me!
Al it was most definitely the .22 because you had to be able to shot that coon between the eyes in the dark. It was good pratice. The .410 was first squirrel gun. Then I went to a .16 guage the on up. Old saying first crawl then walk, but I loved every minute. I have done every kind of hunting and fishing around this part. I use to kill a rabbit then go to the lake, clean it , build a fire, put some sticks up, a little salt and pepper then roast it over open fire. So good it would make you want to slap your mama.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #48
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
Al it was most definitely the .22 because you had to be able to shot that coon between the eyes in the dark. It was good pratice. The .410 was first squirrel gun. Then I went to a .16 guage the on up. Old saying first crawl then walk, but I loved every minute. I have done every kind of hunting and fishing around this part. I use to kill a rabbit then go to the lake, clean it , build a fire, put some sticks up, a little salt and pepper then roast it over open fire. So good it would make you want to slap your mama.
LOL, you're my kind of gal, Pie. Talk about self-sufficiency! Give her a gun and a knife and she could live off the land! One time when we were kids, my younger brother, a few of his friends and myself went campin in the area behind Curtis Elementary...must've been 26 or 27 years ago. When mornin came, we hadn't brought any food along with us, so my brother took a few regular old blackbirds with his .22, cleaned em, roasted em on a spit over an open fire, and although I was a bit apprehensive about it, we ate em. And I'll tell ya, I dont know if we were just hungry or what, but they sure tasted great. Hell, Pie, I bet ya could even make a fire without matches, lighters or a magnesium bar. Which reminds me of another childhood memory...I'd get the magnifyin glass from my dad's desk and go lay out on the sidewalk, burnin ants or whatever hapless insect happened to catch my eye. Or I'd get some tissue or notebook paper and set it afire with the glass. Got to be pretty good at it. These days, I carry a small Bausch & Lomb Tri-Lense multipower pocket magnifyin glass in my manpurse, which is about the size of a large marble ...just in case. If you're really smart and ya dont mind partin with about $70, Victorinox makes a Swiss Army Knife called "The Champ", and among other useful tools, it has a magnifyin glass. A nice lil investment that just might save your life one of these days. I carried one in my army days, but the damned thing grew some legs and I never saw it again.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-21-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #49
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
LOL, you're my kind of gal, Pie. Talk about self-sufficiency! Give her a gun and a knife and she could live off the land! One time when we were kids, my younger brother, a few of his friends and myself went campin in the area behind Curtis Elementary...must've been 26 or 27 years ago. When mornin came, we hadn't brought any food along with us, so my brother took a few regular old blackbirds with his .22, cleaned em, roasted em on a spit over an open fire, and although I was a bit apprehensive about it, we ate em. And I'll tell ya, I dont know if we were just hungry or what, but they sure tasted great. Hell, Pie, I bet ya could even make a fire without matches, lighters or a magnesium bar. Which reminds me of another childhood memory...I'd get the magnifyin glass from my dad's desk and go lay out on the sidewalk, burnin ants or whatever hapless insect happened to catch my eye. Or I'd get some tissue or notebook paper and set it afire with the glass. Got to be pretty good at it. These days, I carry a small Bausch & Lomb Tri-Lense multipower pocket magnifyin glass in my manpurse, which is about the size of a large marble ...just in case. If you're really smart and ya dont mind partin with about $70, Victorinox makes a Swiss Army Knife called "The Champ", and among other useful tools, it has a magnifyin glass. A nice lil investment that just might save your life one of these days. I carried one in my army days, but the damned thing grew some legs and I never saw it again.
Whe I was probably 7 we use to camp out on Black Lake. We didn't have tents, it was a mosquito bar with cots under it. Then dad built a camp with a screened it cook shed seperate for fish frying. I use to get in the alumiun boat and paddle down the channel fishing. Kept the baby brim for the drop hooks and trot lines, when I would get too far away dad would come in another boat and pull us back closer to the camp. Damn if I still don't prefer an alumium boat over a big rig to this day My dad has a bass rig and he tells me to drive it but I say no because I can get into places with the littler boat that the bass boat can't. My brother went out in his ski boat one time while I was fishing in the alumium boat. His boat quit and I pulled him back to shore with nothing but a trolling motor. Another time I was out fishing and vetured too far for the trolling motor because the battery died so I started paddling. Damn if I didn't get caught in a rain storm and all I could do was laugh, it was so funny. Got wet but I laugh.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #50
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Yeah, it was a common sight to see pickup drivers with long guns on a rack in their rear window. I'm not sure why we dont see that much these days. I wouldnt do it just because I'd worry someone would break into my truck and steal it.
Back in the day, putting a shotgun or rifle in the rear window rack was no beig deal. Other popular items for the pickup rear window included fishing poles, leather bull whips, and cattle prods if you came from way out in the country...

The worst thing I ever saw was called the "Cowboy Cuspidore" manufactured by Hodges Enterprises here in Shreveport. It was a mod for your pickup truck. Basically it was a spitoon for tobacco chewers with a drainage tube so you never had to empty it! LOL, do they still make Red Man!?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #51
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Back in the day, putting a shotgun or rifle in the rear window rack was no beig deal. Other popular items for the pickup rear window included fishing poles, leather bull whips, and cattle prods if you came from way out in the country...

The worst thing I ever saw was called the "Cowboy Cuspidore" manufactured by Hodges Enterprises here in Shreveport. It was a mod for your pickup truck. Basically it was a spitoon for tobacco chewers with a drainage tube so you never had to empty it! LOL, do they still make Red Man!?

Man...your mention of "Red Man" brings back some good memories! I chewed Red Man Wintergreen for years...finally had to give it up. Just a whiff of it'll take me back.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #52
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Man...your mention of "Red Man" brings back some good memories! I chewed Red Man Wintergreen for years...finally had to give it up. Just a whiff of it'll take me back.
I can proudly say that I never had a chew of Red Man.. I tried once, but I just couldn't do it. But I did dip snuff once or twice as a young'n... Or maybe I snorted it!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #53
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can proudly say that I never had a chew of Red Man.. I tried once, but I just couldn't do it. But I did dip snuff once or twice as a young'n... Or maybe I snorted it!
Yeah, I used to dip "Hawken" wintergreen...more memories. Yeah, theres that ultra-fine ground snuff powder for snortin...I could never get into that.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #54
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Yeah, I used to dip "Hawken" wintergreen...more memories. Yeah, theres that ultra-fine ground snuff powder for snortin...I could never get into that.
I used to chew redman, or preferably beech nut. I still chew on long car trips. It keeps me awake. Drives the Mrs. nuts though.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #55
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
When I was about 4 years old, my parents left me with an old lady babysitter who used to snort snuff... Very weird... I just went back to watching Star Trek and eating my delicious Swanson TV dinner.... Nothing wrong with being in your own world...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #56
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Okay Pie was your first pie a mud one? I can so remember sitting out under a big ole oak tree on my great grandmother's farm in Simsboro making those mud pies. It was fun getting dirty. We also went swimming in the pond and played in the barn in piles of hay and no telling what else. And yes I even fired a gun at some bottles and cans. The noise scared me to death though.
Ma bathed us at night in some kind of aluminum tub due to a shortage of well water. Thanks for jarring my memory on this thread! See I'm not a total city slicker...my mom's family were country folks!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #57
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Oh yeah, Beechnut was good too. Yeah, old ladies who snort snuff...thats kinda scary. Mmmm..Swanson TV Dinners...Yum...makin me hungry!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #58
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
When I was about 4 years old, my parents left me with an old lady babysitter who used to snort snuff... Very weird... I just went back to watching Star Trek and eating my delicious Swanson TV dinner.... Nothing wrong with being in your own world...
Quote:
Oh yeah, Beechnut was good too. Yeah, old ladies who snort snuff...thats kinda scary. Mmmm..Swanson TV Dinners...Yum...makin me hungry!
One of my fondest childhood memories was going to the grocery store and picking out my TV dinner. I usually went for the fried chicken with the cobbler that you had to leave covered until the end. Not so fond was waiting the 45 minutes to an hour for the damn thing to cook. As I got older I switched to the El Charrito Saltillo Platter. Ole!
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #59
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
One of my fondest childhood memories was going to the grocery store and picking out my TV dinner. I usually went for the fried chicken with the cobbler that you had to leave covered until the end. Not so fond was waiting the 45 minutes to an hour for the damn thing to cook. As I got older I switched to the El Charrito Saltillo Platter. Ole!
I LOVE the El Charitto Saltillo Platter! I figured I was the only guy in the state that ate those damn things! Nice to meet a kindred spirit!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #60
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

How about the NightHawk Western Charbroil? Yeah!