Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Ark-la-tex Coral Reef Aquariums

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Coralman

Rep Power: 0 Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough
Keeping Live Coral in your home

Keeping a coral garden is a year around hobby. You can "frag" corals which is to say fragment corals and grow them out to full size or buy them full size and just place them in your coral reef Aquarium. There are many different light combinations and other advanced equipment that can be added such as a calcium reactor or protein skimmer. If you have photos or info you would like to post please do. I have started a group here on SBLive and would invite anyone to join that might enjoy this hobby.
Coralman
Coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Welcome aboard matey!! Glad to see a seafarer on board. I don't guess there is any such thing as a Bering Sea crab aquarium is there?

Seriously, I really like aquariums. There are a few awesome tanks around town, usually in doctor's offices.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Coralman

Rep Power: 0 Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough
I just shot these photos of one of my coral tanks. There is a large clam and many other corals in this tank. I will add more to the collection on the group I have started so check back in the near future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-11-07 001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	724

Name:	6-11-07 002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	725
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralman
I just shot these photos of one of my coral tanks. There is a large clam and many other corals in this tank. I will add more to the collection on the group I have started so check back in the near future.
Wow, those are some awesome looking pictures you posted. I bet those tanks look really nice in person. That clam is really a show off!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Those are some great pictures for sure I have done 214 Caribbean dives in the Caymans, St. Thomas and the FL Keys but you do not see the corals in the Atlantic that you could see in the Pacific. I hope to dive the Pacific one day but lots of big ass sharks and the water is much cooler. Nice thread and I may have some dive photos to add
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Very beautiful pics.....

I used to know a guy with a salt water tank, but for one reason or another something was always "wrong" and, as you know, these fish are insanely more expensive than your average guppy or goldfish.

Are the coral easier to grow/care for (not sure of the proper terminology) than a handful of fish? Like, are they hardier than fish and more able to withstand less than ideal conditions or would the opposite be true?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I thought a clam was something you ate. When did it become coral?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I bet it would make nice looking sushi! (ducking)

Really, I had no idea clams could be so colorful and pretty. (I know they are tasty)
Old 06-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Stunning photos! I enjoy watching the fish swim in my dentist's aquarium before appointments. There's something very soothing about them! One of my favorites around town would have to be at the Horseshoe! It is huge and gorgeous but I don't believe it is saltwater. What do you think have you seen it?
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
Coralman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Tridacna clams have become very popular reef aquarium inhabitants lately. They are very beautiful and if given the right conditions will thrive. There are about five species that are commonly offered for sale.
1. Tridacna Derasa
2. Tridacna Crocea
3. Tridacna Maxima
4. Tridacna Hippopus
5. Tridacna Gigas
6. Tridacna Squamosa

Aquarium Care:
The mantle of tridacnid clams contain zooxanthellae so they require strong light sources. The clams with blue mantles (crocea, gigas) require more light than those with brown mantles. This is because they occur in shallower water and the blue color of the mantle acts as a light filter. Those with brown mantles are also generally easier to keep. It has also been found that smaller clams require less light than larger ones.

Tridacna Crocea

Name:	Picture 172.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	731
These are first grade Crocea Clams. Clams are in the bivalve family.

Tridacna Squamosa

Name:	6-11-07 001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	732

Tridacna Derasa

Name:	tridacna-derasa.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	733

Tridacna Maxima

Name:	Tridacna  Maxima.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	734

Bivalve Clams use nitrate from the water and good lighting to grow. They also need calcium and other trace elements added to the water. Most of the clams that are on the market are cultured and this helps because about half of them that are grown are returned to the ocean. When you buy one it is helping to restock the ocean
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
Coralman

Tridacna Crocea

Name:	Robert 042705 008.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	735

I call these blue lip mules !
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #12
Coralman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Stunning photos! I enjoy watching the fish swim in my dentist's aquarium before appointments. There's something very soothing about them! One of my favorites around town would have to be at the Horseshoe! It is huge and gorgeous but I don't believe it is saltwater. What do you think have you seen it?
The Horseshoe Aquarium is a 3000 gallon African Cichlid tank and guess what ? I am the one that built that tank and I have maintained it for the last ten years. The cost of that tank was over 300000.00 and the acrylic is 2.5" thick. You can find photos of that tank here www.aquariumconcepts.net and other good info.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome pictures and website...thanks! I'll have to come in and pay you a visit!!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
SDBK

Rep Power: 0 SDBK has a spectacular aura about SDBK has a spectacular aura about
Smile In our home..

This is a snapshot of our Salt Water Aquarium in our home. I believe it is a 105 gallon tank. We've had it over 4 years and really enjoy it. It is kept up by Aquarium Concepts!
SDBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBK
This is a snapshot of our Salt Water Aquarium in our home. I believe it is a 105 gallon tank. We've had it over 4 years and really enjoy it. It is kept up by Aquarium Concepts!
You have a very nice Aquarium there SDBK I like your avatar too I think the bar just got raised a bit on this board
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote